Trent Murphy upped his game late last season and is better than many think

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don’t think Murphy is Kelsay but I do agree overall Shaq was better and more valuable overall than Trent last year. Better against run. Very underrated in blocking passing lanes and tipping passes. Very consistent overall. Trent made a bunch of good plays. Had better pressure than a lot gave him credit for. I thought Shaq was easily better. 

I know there are other factors but if we don’t have Trent, do you think they keep Shaq?

23 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

The guy that saw the field the most among DLmen, who was also 2nd among DEs in sacks, and was 2nd on the team in QB hurries, had “little to nothing” to do with the defensive performance?

Forgive me, but that’s an overstatement at best.

I have no idea where you got these stats.  Here:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticPositionCategory=DEFENSIVE_LINEMAN&d-447263-s=DEFENSIVE_SACKS&tabSeq=1&season=2019&experience=&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&qualified=true

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I know there are other factors but if we don’t have Trent, do you think they keep Shaq?

I think they tried to keep him. Put a value on him slightly less or a million or two less than 10m per. If they didn’t have Trent they likely would have thought he was a little more valuable. Tough to say. He’s also a tough player to evaluate. I really liked Shaq last year. I imagine he’s not going to be much better in Miami and maybe not as good. 

3 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Here:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2019_advanced.htm

2nd on the team in hurries, 3rd in QB knockdowns, 2nd in sacks among EDGE players, 2nd in pressures among EDGE players, and lead all DEs in tackles while also missing the fewest tackles among DEs.

Edited by thebandit27

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Trying to recall last season did we have a 4 or 3 man rotation at DE?  I know we had Hughes, Lawson, and Murphy mainly.  And 7th rounder Johnson.  Am I forgetting someone that did play a fair amount of snaps?  Now have Addison, Hughes, Murphy, and Johnson. 

At tackle had Oliver, Phillips, Star, and Liguit (once Harrison went down).  This year have Oliver, Star, Harrison, the new guy Butler, but also another or does that last one plat both tackle and end?

Jefferson can play anywhere on the line evidently. Bills have a pretty solid rotation and depth.

I'm more concerned about the o line to be honest. They were not as good a unit as the d line was last year and nothing has been done to change that at all. They are hoping they improve with continuity and experience, I hope they are right.

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I thought this deserved its own thread given all the talk about the various moving d-line pieces following all of these d-line signings. In the final six games of 2019 including the playoff game, Murphy had six sacks, six tackles for loss, and 8 qb hits. He averaged playing 67 percent of the snaps too. Obviously and inarguably, that is elite production.  I don’t think he’s going anywhere. Many years ago, a wise man named @AKC talked about d-line equity, focusing in particular on the Giants SB teams that beat the Pats (particularly the 07 team). When you can rotate in good d-lineman after good d-lineman over the course of a game, it becomes very, very tough for an offense to produce. The Bills now have d-line equity in spades. It is going to be fun to watch.

Here is Murphy’s 2019 game log: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MurpTr00/gamelog/2019/

Yeah I do not get the utter hate for Murphy.  Is he a stud and pro bowl level player?  No of course not, but he has been a solid player for us and much better than he gets credit for, especially last year when he was healthy.  

It basically reminds me of what people say about Jordan Howard.  Everyone loves to say Howard sucks or is trash, but thats just not the case as he is a lot better than some make him out to be.  

I think we have a pretty darn good DE rotation right now with the guys we had already and the guys we just signed, Murphy included.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, papazoid said:

too little , too late

his contract says they save $8 mil if cut ($1.75 dead money)

id say its 75% likely hes gone

I think it’s unlikely he’s cut unless they sign another vet or Daryl Johnston takes a big step and needs PT. You want 4 edge rushers to rotate on pass downs. I think Jefferson will be rushing from the interior in those formations, so if I’m right that leaves Hughes, Addison, Murphy, and Johnston. Johnston was getting exploited so badly at DE that he was benched after a couple games last year. If he doesn’t take a huge leap, you’re still 1 guy short. 

Im assuming they’ll draft a DE high, but even that only gets you to 4 DEs for passing downs not counting Johnston. 

46 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Here:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2019_advanced.htm

2nd on the team in hurries, 3rd in QB knockdowns, 2nd in sacks among EDGE players, 2nd in pressures among EDGE players, and lead all DEs in tackles while also missing the fewest tackles among DEs.

This is for the Bills only.  Doesn't compare to other d-linement in the league.  Bottom line is to be a championship team, you can't settle for the Murphy's and Star's of the world.

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

But he couldn't seal an edge if he had a bucket full of sealant. Cut him. Move on. We should expect better. 

Which is exactly why he gets picked on in wide runs, misdirections, and screens.  Murphy is usually pushed well out of the play by the RT.

15 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

This is for the Bills only.  Doesn't compare to other d-linement in the league.  Bottom line is to be a championship team, you can't settle for the Murphy's and Star's of the world.

So Murphy isn’t even an NFL player at this point? Or he’s so bad that he can’t even be a DE3 or DE4 on a good team?

This is waaaaay out there for you.

2 hours ago, BigBillsFan said:

Why do headlines on TBD resemble buzzfeed headlines?

Kroft's Hidden Production Was Better Than We Think

McDermott's Secret Clap That Signifies War

8 Things Beane Does Before He Signs A Free Agent

The Diggs signing and Why That's Good for Hillary Clinton

wait that might be vox.  hard to tell them apart sometimes

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Which is exactly why he gets picked on in wide runs, misdirections, and screens.  Murphy is usually pushed well out of the play by the RT.

I’m pretty sure that if Murphy was as bad as you say, he would have led all of our defensive lineman in snaps.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He completely padded his stats with one game.  He was invisible for most of the season.  And Shaq is a younger, ascending player who has rarely been hurt.  I didn’t want to pay him that much but I do wonder if we didn’t have Trent, would we have?  Because I would rather have Shaq than Kelsey 2.0. 

Look at his stats and look at his visibility on the field.   He was a different player the second half of the season.  

Murphy is definitely NOT Kelsay 2.0.   Same work ethic, to be sure, but Kelsay never was an explosive playmaker.   Murphy has done that.

2 hours ago, GG said:

He's the most likely cut candidate because there are a lot of mouths to feed on that DL.   Bills lost 3 starting/rotation DLs from last year's season end lineup (Shaq, Phillips & Liuget), and are adding at least 4 starting/rotation DLs in '20 (Addison, Jefferson, Butler & Harry's return).  Plus, Bills have to address a developmental DE in the draft.    

The math doesn't bode well for Murphy

Good - hes motivated.  At the end of the day, its an important year.  Hughes, Addison, Murphys not a bad 3 man rotation.  We have to have a rookie we like so much that we are comfortable cutting him.  

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Look at his stats and look at his visibility on the field.   He was a different player the second half of the season.  

Murphy is definitely NOT Kelsay 2.0.   Same work ethic, to be sure, but Kelsay never was an explosive playmaker.   Murphy has done that.

i like how murphy came on at the end of the season but he has a huge head (i mean, like an actual enlarged head) and seems too narrow to be a DL player.  It absolutely ruins my immersion

on the other hand, didn't he say something about 'playing north of the wall' when he was signed?  if true he should retire a bill

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Explosive? Murphy? Come off it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Explosive player maker?  A guy with averages a little over 4 sacks/ year is far from explosive.  Come on.  He sets the edge fairly well.  But there is nothing explosive about his game.  He plays on a really good defense but he is the definition of JAG. He is Kelsay 2.0 on a good defense. 

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Explosive player maker?  A guy with averages a little over 4 sacks/ year is far from explosive.  Come on.  He sets the edge fairly well.  But there is nothing explosive about his game.  He plays on a really good defense but he is the definition of JAG. He is Kelsay 2.0 on a good defense. 

He doesn't set the edge well. He is a dreadful edge setter. He is good for two decent rushes a game and is a liability every other snap. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

He doesn't set the edge well. He is a dreadful edge setter. He is good for two decent rushes a game and is a liability every other snap. 

I was trying to be nice haha.  

3 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

He always seemed to be a half step too late in making any impactful plays. 

We can/should do better.

It’s probably because he’s too explosive. 

• Haha (+1) 1