Trent Murphy upped his game late last season and is better than many think

I thought this deserved its own thread given all the talk about the various moving d-line pieces following all of these d-line signings. In the final six games of 2019 including the playoff game, Murphy had six sacks, six tackles for loss, and 8 qb hits. He averaged playing 67 percent of the snaps too. Obviously and inarguably, that is elite production.  I don’t think he’s going anywhere. Many years ago, a wise man named @AKC talked about d-line equity, focusing in particular on the Giants SB teams that beat the Pats (particularly the 07 team). When you can rotate in good d-lineman after good d-lineman over the course of a game, it becomes very, very tough for an offense to produce. The Bills now have d-line equity in spades. It is going to be fun to watch.

Here is Murphy’s 2019 game log: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MurpTr00/gamelog/2019/

• Like (+1) 20
  • Thank you (+1) 6

Oh man, I see the torches coming up the street already... 

Keep your elbows in and your head covered... ?

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I thought this deserved its own thread given all the talk about the various moving d-line pieces following all of these d-line signings. In the final six games of 2019 including the playoff game, Murphy had six sacks, six tackles for loss, and 8 qb hits. He averaged playing 67 percent of the snaps too. Obviously and inarguably, that is elite production.  I don’t think he’s going anywhere. Many years ago, a wise man named @AKC talked about d-line equity, focusing in particular on the Giants SB teams that beat the Pats (particularly the 07 team). When you can rotate in good d-lineman after good d-lineman over the course of a game, it becomes very, very tough for an offense to produce. The Bills now have d-line equity in spades. It is going to be fun to watch.

Here is Murphy’s 2019 game log: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MurpTr00/gamelog/2019/

Great post!  If we do keep him, it’s because coach knows what he’ll do with the additions to the line.  I hope we do, because we’ve upgraded considerably on the line, and at worst, stayed even at LB.  it’s not the sexy option, but he definitely came on late and looked like the version the Bills thought they would get.   

Edited by DFT
  • Like (+1) 1

He definitely played better late last year. I thought there was no chance that he was coming back this year. At this point I believe that he will be back. With that being said if the Bills were to chase Clowney or Ngakoue Murphy’s release will definitely be a part of that. The $8M of space from him would be needed.

• Like (+1) 6

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He definitely played better late last year. I thought there was no chance that he was coming back this year. At this point I believe that he will be back. With that being said if the Bills were to chase Clowney or Ngakoue Murphy’s release will definitely be a part of that. The $8M of space from him would be needed.

I would rather $10 million Trent over $20 million Clowney or Ngakoue. After that, are there any other impact guys that would be worth cutting Trent for? 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I would rather $10 million Trent over $20 million Clowney or Ngakoue. After that, are there any other impact guys that would be worth cutting Trent for? 

I don’t see Clowney getting $20M. That’s what he wanted and hasn’t yet seen the market there. I’d shoot for Clowney at 3 years , $54M with $32M guaranteed (something like that). I’d give Clowney $18M a year over $10M a year for Murphy 8 days a week. That pretty much guarantees that the Bills have the best defense in the league. Additionally, you would have him for a couple more years which is important. Murphy and Hughes could be in their last year and Addison is 33. 

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I just can't believe that the Bills would cut Trent Murphy after patiently waiting almost 2 years for the pre-surgery player to show up.  He'll get at least training camp and the pre-season games to prove that the end of last season wasn't a mirage.  Like Poyer, he might even get extended.

• Like (+1) 6

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t see Clowney getting $20M. That’s what he wanted and hasn’t yet seen the market there. I’d shoot for Clowney at 3 years , $54M with $32M guaranteed (something like that). I’d give Clowney $18M a year over $10M a year for Murphy 8 days a week. That pretty much guarantees that the Bills have the best defense in the league. Additionally, you would have him for a couple more years which is important. Murphy and Hughes could be in their last year and Addison is 33. 

Maybe, but that's a lot of money for a guy that has never gotten more than 10 sacks. And its not like he didn't have help. 

3 minutes ago, Jamie Mueller said:

I just can't believe that the Bills would cut Trent Murphy after patiently waiting almost 2 years for the pre-surgery player to show up.  He'll get at least training camp and the pre-season games to prove that the end of last season wasn't a mirage.  Like Poyer, he might even get extended.

They won't. And they aren't going to get one of those big ticket guys. I don't think it would be worth the investment, and I have a feeling they feel the same way. 

Trying to recall last season did we have a 4 or 3 man rotation at DE?  I know we had Hughes, Lawson, and Murphy mainly.  And 7th rounder Johnson.  Am I forgetting someone that did play a fair amount of snaps?  Now have Addison, Hughes, Murphy, and Johnson. 

At tackle had Oliver, Phillips, Star, and Liguit (once Harrison went down).  This year have Oliver, Star, Harrison, the new guy Butler, but also another or does that last one plat both tackle and end?

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Trying to recall last season did we have a 4 or 3 man rotation at DE?  I know we had Hughes, Lawson, and Murphy mainly.  And 7th rounder Johnson.  Am I forgetting someone that did play a fair amount of snaps?  Now have Addison, Hughes, Murphy, and Johnson. 

At tackle had Oliver, Phillips, Star, and Liguit (once Harrison went down).  This year have Oliver, Star, Harrison, the new guy Butler, but also another or does that last one plat both tackle and end?

I've read that newcomers Jefferson and Butler can both play tackle and end...

You can do a lot worse than Hughes-Addison-Murphy-Johnson, but with only Oliver, Harry and Johnson as young guys, we're going to have to draft heavy DL for the next few years to fortify the line when we start paying everybody.

As far as pass rush goes, we may lack that elite EDGE, but we have two above average pass rushers in Hughes and Addison, plus the interior should provide a rush as well with Oliver, Butler and Jefferson.

Edited by SCBills