The China Problem

LeviF

5 minutes ago, B-Man said:

“I want to be very clear about something,” says Secretary of State Antony Blinken.

“Our purpose is not to contain China, to hold it back, to keep it down.

It is to uphold this rules-based order that China is posing a challenge to.”

What did Trump do about it?

Xi "explained to Trump why he was basically building concentration camps in Xinjiang,"

The interpreter added that "Trump said that Xi should go ahead with building the camps, which Trump thought was exactly the right thing to do"

Trump Says He Avoided Punishing China Over Uighur Camps to Protect Trade Talks

“Well, we were in the middle of a major trade deal,” the president said, supporting an account by his former national security adviser John R. Bolton.

3 minutes ago, BillStime said:

This issue is not new. Trump ignored it.

And Biden is doing what exactly? I’m assuming he wants to do the exact opposite of Trump on everything so instead of ignoring he’s....

Edited by SoCal Deek

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

And the guy is doing what exactly? I’m assuming he wants to do the exact opposite of Trump on everything so instead of ignoring he’s....

Certainly not endorse it like the former guy...

4 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Certainly not endorse it like the former guy...

Ugh! Once again, that’s what not to do...according to you. At some point you cannot just be anti-Trump! Or maybe he’s still living in your head. All of that peace and prosperity was a real bi&ch! 

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Ugh! Once again, that’s what not to do...according to you. At some point you cannot just be anti-Trump! Or maybe he’s still living in your head. All of that peace and prosperity was a real bi&ch! 

I know, its hard to admit hypocrisy.

Just more faux outrage...

2 hours ago, BillStime said:

This issue is not new. Trump ignored it.

Keep trying to switch the point.

The CURRENT Secretary of State Antony Blinken stated that the CURRENT U.S./Biden Policy is,

Our purpose is not to contain China, to hold it back, to keep it down.

You won't address that, because you cannot.

Your Trump dodge is laughable, but expected

1 minute ago, B-Man said:

Keep trying to switch the point.

The CURRENT Secretary of State Antony Blinken stated that the CURRENT U.S./Biden Policy is,

Our purpose is not to contain China, to hold it back, to keep it down.

You won't address that, because you cannot.

Your Trump dodge is laughable, but expected

Trump endorsed it - period.

You’re the only one dodging hypocrisy as usual 

53 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Trump endorsed it - period.

You’re the only one dodging hypocrisy as usual 

Yeah and you thought Trump was a Nazi.  What's Joey's excuse?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/internal-memo-to-beijing-chinas-competitive-advantage-against-america/ar-BB1gBoel?li=BBnbfcL

I'm not sure if this article is legit, but I do believe China intends to challenge and displace us on the world stage so this article is really interesting and I find it to offer some really prescient insights.

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 5/11/2021 at 10:24 PM, GaryPinC said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/internal-memo-to-beijing-chinas-competitive-advantage-against-america/ar-BB1gBoel?li=BBnbfcL

I'm not sure if this article is legit, but I do believe China intends to challenge and displace us on the world stage so this article is really interesting and I find it to offer some really prescient insights.

What a spot on assessment of our current reality.  I guess the positive here is there is likely awareness that war will be unnecessary as we will simply continue to self destruct. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

What a spot on assessment of our current reality.  I guess the positive here is there is likely awareness that war will be unnecessary as we will simply continue to self destruct. 

Agree, but I don't think it's legit.  I have a hard time believing an official document would so flippantly mention the Uyghers, for example.  A couple other parts struck me in the same manner.  Even so, we need to stop self polarizing and work on coming together to face this growing threat.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Agree, but I don't think it's legit.  I have a hard time believing an official document would so flippantly mention the Uyghers, for example.  A couple other parts struck me in the same manner.  Even so, we need to stop self polarizing and work on coming together to face this growing threat.

Yes it seems it is staged theater at second glance and it is the  National Review. I wonder what China is really thinking.... 

I still like to think we are so good at self inflicting the damage that they won’t need to formally destroy us. Just keep sucking out our wealth as we continue to fade to a secondary world power. 

The politicians have already taken so much power and the near 50/50 polarization they’ve gotten us to ensured they can manifest their power. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Yes it seems it is staged theater at second glance and it is the  National Review. I wonder what China is really thinking.... 

I still like to think we are so good at self inflicting the damage that they won’t need to formally destroy us. Just keep sucking out our wealth as we continue to fade to a secondary world power. 

The politicians have already taken so much power and the near 50/50 polarization they’ve gotten us to ensured they can manifest their power. 

Also, having an adversary pushes your country to be better.  But I think that autocratic ego would rather we cease to exist.  Especially after you look at an article like this:

https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-inside-militarys-secret-undercover-army-1591881

Very frightening to me, plays right in to the deep state.  Plus, the Chinese are right there with our technology in this.

13 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

Also, having an adversary pushes your country to be better.  But I think that autocratic ego would rather we cease to exist.  Especially after you look at an article like this:

https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-inside-militarys-secret-undercover-army-1591881

Very frightening to me, plays right in to the deep state.  Plus, the Chinese are right there with our technology in this.

I think defeating China can be more effectively achieved by enacting a more cooperative view of international relations than would be taking China on head-to-head in some competitive effort which would hopefully not include direct military conflict.  The problem I see is a very belligerent attitude in US foreign policy since around 9/11.  Rather than cooperation and mutual benefit US policy is based on sanctions, unilateral decisions, and expectations that every other country will fall in line and be obedient and compliant to US policy objectives.   The NordStream2 natural gas pipeline is an example.  Both the German government and business interests support the project to bring gas into Germany and Europe from Russia.  But because of US strategy to isolate Russia from Europe our "allies" are being forced to oppose the project and if not subject to sanctions.  In essence forcing Europeans to defer their interests to US interests. 

This do as we say or else policy is at the core of US foreign policy.  It is driving potential and current allies further away.  It is counterproductive to the task of taking on China in a competitive framework.  In order to be successful in "boxing in" China and imposing some level of control it is necessary to modify this approach and treat allies as partners.  Not as vassal states to rule over and dictate all terms and conditions of the relationship.

Sadly, I doubt anyone in Washington, in a position of power, in either major political party has either the vision or desire to make the changes necessary to make any of this happen.