The China Problem

LeviF

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

i have no issue with Asians immigrating here, beating our kids in school and then taking the best paying jobs and being part of our society and even leading it. They’ve earned it. They’ve worked for it. Their cultural focus on success is helpful toward our society. If that pisses off indigenous Americans teach your kids to work, and that the world is competitive. 

Well public schools don't teach that.  Neither is our society.

They are telling kids not to buy their stuff.   

But yea get off my lawn or something.

Edited by Big Blitz

19 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Well public schools don't teach that.  Neither is our society.

Stop asking the government to teach your kids values. You’re clearly an R so You should be ok with that. 

Capitalism is about competing, so compete. Your opponent is wiling to do anything you’ll do for 1/5 of the money..  better start running.

the hardest part about competing in this world is dragging the lazy and apathetic along for the ride. China avoids it, we have a political party wiling to subsidize or even encourage it to manifest power. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Stop asking the government to teach your kids values. You’re clearly an R so You should be ok with that. 

Capitalism is about competing, so compete. Your opponent is wiling to do anything you’ll do for 1/5 of the money..  better start running.

the hardest part about competing in this world is dragging the lazy and apathetic along for the ride. China avoids it, we have a political party wiling to subsidize or even encourage it to manifest power. 

Talk to me about China's banking system. Who owns their largest banks, how much revenue do they generate and how much assets do they hold?

7 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Talk to me about China's banking system. Who owns their largest banks, how much revenue do they generate and how much assets do they hold?

You first. Educate us. 

I’ll add some bonus trivia...

Which foreign country owns the most of our  federal debts? Great exercise 

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

You first. Educate us. 

I’ll add some bonus trivia...

Which foreign country owns the most of our  federal debts? Great exercise 

Our foreign debt, while not insignificant, pales in comparison to the total amount of debt held by US banks. US banks which are publicly traded and owned by a variety of stock holders, hedge funds and holding companies. And who have been granted authority by the US Congress to create US currency by loaning it into existence. 

China on the other hand owns all of it's banks, and therefore owns the trillions of dollars of assets and hundreds of billions of annual revenue. 

While we are approaching 60 Trillion total owed to US banks ( Federal, state and local governments, + private and corporate debt) all of China's domestic debt owed to Chinese banks becomes revenue of the nation.

4 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Our foreign debt, while not insignificant, pales in comparison to the total amount of debt held by US banks. US banks which are publicly traded and owned by a variety of stock holders, hedge funds and holding companies. And who have been granted authority by the US Congress to create US currency by loaning it into existence. 

China on the other hand owns all of it's banks, and therefore owns the trillions of dollars of assets and hundreds of billions of annual revenue. 

While we are approaching 60 Trillion total owed to US banks ( Federal, state and local governments, + private and corporate debt) all of China's domestic debt owed to Chinese banks becomes revenue of the nation.

They’ve unleashed a government steered capitalism. Thats why they are dominating. They are hungry for every opportunity. 

anyone can rationalize their respective incredibly improbable rise in economic power, or consider they may have an edge, even if it’s philosophically uncomfortable.

57 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

They’ve unleashed a government steered capitalism. Thats why they are dominating. They are hungry for every opportunity. 

anyone can rationalize their respective incredibly improbable rise in economic power, or consider they may have an edge, even if it’s philosophically uncomfortable.

Yeah, but not just government steered. The government owns many of the highest valued and highest performing corporations. And so the government has massive revenue as a result. 

It's state owned capitalism, which is not at all bloated, incomplete bureaucracy. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

i have no issue with Asians immigrating here, beating our kids in school and then taking the best paying jobs and being part of our society and even leading it. They’ve earned it. They’ve worked for it. Their cultural focus on success is helpful toward our society. If that pisses off indigenous Americans teach your kids to work, and that the world is competitive. 

Except they aren’t “being part of our society.” Do you really think Chinese nationals are coming away from universities with American values?

And the unis love them because they pay full sticker. They aren’t getting in purely on merit. 

7 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Yeah, but not just government steered. The government owns many of the highest valued and highest performing corporations. And so the government has massive revenue as a result. 

It's state owned capitalism, which is not at all bloated, incomplete bureaucracy. 

China's created a large number of rich oligarchs that have become billionaires because they are officials of the CCP so its another version of crony capitalism. 

But absent from the debate here is the understanding of the true motivation and intent for the US to create a formidable economic and growing military competitor.  Because that's what a series of US administrations over the past 40 years accomplished starting with the granting most-favored nation trade status to China and then encouraging businesses to move production to China and out of the U.S.  Mostly done under the absurd notion that they'll adopt of system of democracy through engagement.  So all this helped China grow and caused great harm to American businesses and cities and citizens in exchange for "every day low prices".  Lots of people in America consuming cheap stuff sitting at home on welfare and public assistance with no jobs and no prospects because the US government encouraged the shipment of their jobs to China.  And here we are today bitching about China's ambitions and the threat they pose when its our own fault by starting the process going in the first place.  "Reap what you sow", right?  

3 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

China's created a large number of rich oligarchs that have become billionaires because they are officials of the CCP so its another version of crony capitalism. 

But absent from the debate here is the understanding of the true motivation and intent for the US to create a formidable economic and growing military competitor.  Because that's what a series of US administrations over the past 40 years accomplished starting with the granting most-favored nation trade status to China and then encouraging businesses to move production to China and out of the U.S.  Mostly done under the absurd notion that they'll adopt of system of democracy through engagement.  So all this helped China grow and caused great harm to American businesses and cities and citizens in exchange for "every day low prices".  Lots of people in America consuming cheap stuff sitting at home on welfare and public assistance with no jobs and no prospects because the US government encouraged the shipment of their jobs to China.  And here we are today bitching about China's ambitions and the threat they pose when its our own fault by starting the process going in the first place.  "Reap what you sow", right?  

Our job situation is not that bad. I get rural America is suffering, but they need to get off their butts, get educated and go earn a living. 

People complained about working in factories, now they complain about not having simple, mindless factory jobs. Whatever! 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Our job situation is not that bad. I get rural America is suffering, but they need to get off their butts, get educated and go earn a living

People complained about working in factories, now they complain about not having simple, mindless factory jobs. Whatever! 

What you said might be true but I've said the exact same thing about poor and uneducated inner city residents that for generations use public assistance as a career path but many here and elsewhere are blind to the similarities and comparisons. 

And did you ever work in a factory?  I did working for 6 years including my time in college to pay my bills so I understand the things people complain about.  If you did you should know too. 

But none of that addresses by key point which is the US created the "monster" that is now China under less than clear intentions.  .  

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

Except they aren’t “being part of our society.” Do you really think Chinese nationals are coming away from universities with American values?

And the unis love them because they pay full sticker. They aren’t getting in purely on merit. 

I beg to differ. I live in a school cluster that’s 40% Asian. Our high school is consistently in the top 150 in the country. And our middle and elementary schools are highly rated too. Every technical  industry has a very disproportionate Asian representation. 

I’d say if they go to college, get high paying jobs or start businesses and help corporations or the economy grow and improve that’s all the American values I could hope for.

im not even sure what American values are. We have about 20% of the population that is violently and diametrically opposed to another 20% and the rest of us are hostages in the middle. 

China claiming some bizarre sovereignty over the South China Sea is like claiming sovereignty over the moon.

International law and right of passage is clear, established with agreements and precedent, and indisputable. 

38 minutes ago, B-Man said:

FREEDOM OF NAVIGATION: 

HMS Queen Elizabeth and her Carrier Strike Group will sail through the South China Sea despite Chinese warnings, it has been confirmed.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/british-carrier-strike-group-to-sail-through-south-china-sea/

What's China going to do?  Unleash a deadly virus on the world?  Oh wait...

Global microchip shortage has China eyeing Taiwan

Some worry China may use military force to seize Taiwan and its microchip industry

"Whoever controls the design and production of these microchips, they'll set the course for the 21st century," said Martijn Rasser, a senior fellow at the Washington-based think tank Center for a New American Security. 

"By gaining control over Taiwan’s semiconductor industry, China would control the global market," Rasser said. "They would have access to the most advanced manufacturing capabilities and that is even more valuable than controlling the world's oil." 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/global-microchip-shortage-has-china-eyeing-taiwan

“I want to be very clear about something,” says Secretary of State Antony Blinken.

“Our purpose is not to contain China, to hold it back, to keep it down.

It is to uphold this rules-based order that China is posing a challenge to.”