The China Problem

LeviF

Things that make you go hmmn...

Verizon Media's Commitment During COVID-19

<snip>
Finally, we are donating advertising space across Verizon Media’s properties to organizations such as the World Health Organization (WHO) to help amplify their message.
<snip>

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

Well they did it in a very clandestine Machiavellian way. They need to pay the price to the extent that it will put their economy on a whole new trajectory. Let them pay a heavy enough price that they'll soon not forget their machinations. 

..and their payback is circulating COVID-19 inferior products worldwide at inflated prices.....we have 1,000+ N95 masks ordered from our safety equipment supplier to protect our construction field workers...China is their source and prices have TRIPLED......they have eliminated normal packaging and the shipments, projected to be at the end of April, will come in large bags......AND....every shipment to the US is COD......nice to know they are "our friends".....

18 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..and their payback is circulating COVID-19 inferior products worldwide at inflated prices.....we have 1,000+ N95 masks ordered from our safety equipment supplier to protect our construction field workers...China is their source and prices have TRIPLED......they have eliminated normal packaging and the shipments, projected to be at the end of April, will come in large bags......AND....every shipment to the US is COD......nice to know they are "our friends".....

I saw a demonstration of the use of the masks made in China and others made elsewhere. The nurse put a mask on and lit a lighter and held it a few inches from her mouth and tried to blow the flame out. She couldn't. She next took a mask made in China and gave the same test. She blew the flame out immediately. She then tried two Chinese masks that kept her from blowing the flame out. Nice.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Well they did it in a very clandestine Machiavellian way. They need to pay the price to the extent that it will put their economy on a whole new trajectory. Let them pay a heavy enough price that they'll soon not forget their machinations. 

I doubt that the CCP cares as long as the ruling elites can stay in power.  Further, they might prove to be rogues to the point of using military weapons including nuclear material to project power.  

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Hope soo. 

Plus I think America should kick out anything China owned. I think they have some control in Hollywood (many lots more).  America should build it's own things and only own things. No control from any any country.

They have a lot of influence everywhere because of their market.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

The world’s best hope has always been internal strife within China that alters the CCP.  Nothing else is likely to actually change the threat posed by China. 

You know, about 25 or so years ago, some old Chinese general let it slip that their plan was to invade Taiwan in 2020 to forcibly reunify all of China. Pretty sure he got "retired" shortly thereafter.

Considering the strides they've taken to significantly upgrade their military and to fortify the East China Sea since then, I've always wondered if that slip was accurate. It will be interesting to see if they think they're a match for the US, or if they'd bank on a half-hearted response that we'd tire of in short order.

8 hours ago, Koko78 said:

You know, about 25 or so years ago, some old Chinese general let it slip that their plan was to invade Taiwan in 2020 to forcibly reunify all of China. Pretty sure he got "retired" shortly thereafter.

Considering the strides they've taken to significantly upgrade their military and to fortify the East China Sea since then, I've always wondered if that slip was accurate. It will be interesting to see if they think they're a match for the US, or if they'd bank on a half-hearted response that we'd tire of in short order.

8 hours ago, Koko78 said:

I think that the PRC is aching to see where it stands on the world stage in terms of power.  It would not surprise me that the virus release was intentional and a first step in a much larger plan to at least show it is the predominant power in ALL of Asia.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

I think that the PRC is aching to see where it stands on the world stage in terms of power.  It would not surprise me that the virus release was intentional and a first step in a much larger plan to at least show it is the predominant power in ALL of Asia.

Not impossible.

16 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

The world’s best hope has always been internal strife within China that alters the CCP.  Nothing else is likely to actually change the threat posed by China. 

Internal strife is fine for countries that have nothing in the way of modern long range weapons at their finger tips.  Not so good for a delusional dictator for life trying to hang onto power who has little regard for human life in general.  It has been long theorized that the West dodged a bullet when Soviet Premier Andropov fell over dead from a supposed cold back during the mid-1980's.  Further, that Andropov was readying for a confrontation with the West in a desperate move to retain power for himself and the Soviet system.  His opponents were fortunate to get to him first as they valued their own pleasant existence over everything else.  

• Like (+1) 1