Pandemics are boring

It’s been a few days of self-quarantine since traveling abroad. My wife and I have no symptoms and did not travel to a country of concern. That being said, we decided that we’d self quarantine (no work, no stores, nothing) to be safe about the possible transmission of COVID19 in the event we may have it. 

so far we’ve used instacart for groceries, and have enjoyed the dogs, Netflix, a jigsaw puzzle, cleaning/organizing, etc. 

I can’t keep this up for 5 more weeks. What do you guys do at home to pass the time?! 

Pandemics are Boring

• Like (+1) 1

Watching instructional videos on YouTube (woodworking, gardening, whatever looks good)

Watching various series on Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Britbox, etc.
Reading books

Doing jigsaw puzzles

Over sleeping

Over eating

when the weather gets a little warmer I’ll do some yard work and some woodworking in my garage. 

Basically being bored and boring.

7 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Watching instructional videos on YouTube (woodworking, gardening, whatever looks good)

Reading books

Doing jigsaw puzzles

Over sleeping

Over eating

when the weather gets a little warmer I’ll do some yard work and some woodworking in my garage. 

After a Mediterranean cruise last fall my wife had a puzzle made from a collage of photos of us and our travel partners. (We gave them one for Christmas.) Amazing puzzle and lots of hours of enjoyment......except the borders. The top and bottom have borders of a couple inches. No biggie. The sides are closer to 6 inches of all white pieces. Hundreds of all white pieces. It’s on the dining room table, and will likely remain there unfinished until we break it down for Thanksgiving. I’m not beating me head on THAT wall. 

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Reading books

Doing jigsaw puzzles

Over sleeping

Over eating

Maybe I'm completely weird but I've got really into videos of haircuts. I started off just looking for ideas of what to do with my hippie hair but it's oddly satisfying.

Just now, Augie said:

After a Mediterranean cruise last fall my wife had a puzzle made from a collage of photos of us and our travel partners. (We gave them one for Christmas.) Amazing puzzle and lots of hours of enjoyment......except the borders. The top and bottom have borders of a couple inches. No biggie. The sides are closer to 6 inches of all white pieces. Hundreds of all white pieces. It’s on the dining room table, and will likely remain there unfinished until we break it down for Thanksgiving. I’m not beating me head on THAT wall. 

I have a few 500 piece puzzles that we bought in gift shops over the years.  Things like pictures of villages that we visited. I can do them in a couple days.  Amateur stuff.   I’d go insane with a six inch border in a solid color. 

1 minute ago, Blokestradamus said:

Maybe I'm completely weird but I've got really into videos of haircuts. I started off just looking for ideas of what to do with my hippie hair but it's oddly satisfying.

There’s the kind that put you to sleep, or the kind with lovely young ladies doing the work, or the kind with old guys who use a straight razor, etc.   

• Like (+1) 1

My wife and I were in Seattle when the first death in WA was announced. Got back a week ago and put ourselves into quarantine. We both work from home, so there's plenty to do, but yeah, it would be nice to get out of the house for more than just the daily dog-walk.

21 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

My level of lockdown has convinced me I don’t need to head to my barber right now. I’m already a bit overdue, so I may share your hippie hairdo before all this is over! 

I remember when Hurricane Hugo wiped out Charleston where I went regularly as my boss was there. Post hurricane the meeting topics consisted mainly of things like who had power, and where a barber shop had opened. Strange times, but then you’d have to drive around a yacht laying on it’s side on Broad St just to get to the office.   

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

It’s been a few days of self-quarantine since traveling abroad. My wife and I have no symptoms and did not travel to a country of concern. That being said, we decided that we’d self quarantine (no work, no stores, nothing) to be safe about the possible transmission of COVID19 in the event we may have it. 

so far we’ve used instacart for groceries, and have enjoyed the dogs, Netflix, a jigsaw puzzle, cleaning/organizing, etc. 

I can’t keep this up for 5 more weeks. What do you guys do at home to pass the time?! 

Pandemics are Boring

1 minute ago, teef said:

try doing it with a 2 and a 5 year old.  i'll be in jail soon.

Yeah, was just agreeing with a co-worker (via Zoom) that would be the worst.

At least with my kids (8, 8, 11) there is a daily school curriculum.  Sure it breaks down a little at points during the day, but basically we can tell them to sit in the chair and do their work.   But at your kids' ages they just need to be entertained 24x7.   Good luck teef!