What would an “All In” move be to you?

Virgil

I don’t get all of the “Hooper is the final piece” love. We complain about our own average guys getting paid, but people would have been ok with Hooper being the highest paid right end in the league? He is good, above average dare I say, but i have no problem with the Bills not giving Hooper the money that he got. Is he another weapon-yes. The all-in piece??? No way 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

The Hooper thing still bothers me as I think we’d have the best offensive weapons in the league and be almost indefensible.  

Hooper is now the highest paid TE in the league, that's not a smart contract & I'm glad it's not us. You don't pay that to a guy who's not top-5 at his position & build for the long term.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

You have to ask yourself what are the biggest possible weaknesses on this team and what move would address that weakness and turn it into a strength? If I am analyzing this team I see three pressing needs. Edge rusher, Tight End, and Corner. I know a lot of people would say RT but I am a believer in Ford and Ty is a nice plan B. I don't see a tight end remaining on the free agency market that makes us dynamic at that position. I don't see a corner (esp with Harris just off the market) that makes that unit that much better. 

But Edge rusher? I see some potential there to add a game changing talent. Clowney on a one year 25 million dollar contract screams the type of smart "All In" move that I would make. One year deal does kill the roll over into 2021 (although you could cut Murphy to help ease it) but it doesn't kill the flexibility the team has overall beyond 2020 and really wouldn't impact too much the team's ability to extend Dawkins, White, and Milano. 

Clowney is a dominating run defender who commands attention off the edge. You could draft a corner in round 2 to fill that last possible need and a safety for depth in round 5 and be completely set in the secondary while taking a depth WR and RB in rounds 3 and 4. I don't want to commit a long term deal anywhere close to 20 million for him. But if he doesn't like his offers and wants a 1 year deal worth 6-8 million more than his current offers by all means be a mercenary and get this team into serious contention. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

You have to ask yourself what are the biggest possible weaknesses on this team and what move would address that weakness and turn it into a strength? If I am analyzing this team I see three pressing needs. Edge rusher, Tight End, and Corner. I know a lot of people would say RT but I am a believer in Ford and Ty is a nice plan B. I don't see a tight end remaining on the free agency market that makes us dynamic at that position. I don't see a corner (esp with Harris just off the market) that makes that unit that much better. 

But Edge rusher? I see some potential there to add a game changing talent. Clowney on a one year 25 million dollar contract screams the type of smart "All In" move that I would make. One year deal does kill the roll over into 2021 (although you could cut Murphy to help ease it) but it doesn't kill the flexibility the team has overall beyond 2020 and really wouldn't impact too much the team's ability to extend Dawkins, White, and Milano. 

Clowney is a dominating run defender who commands attention off the edge. You could draft a corner in round 2 to fill that last possible need and a safety for depth in round 5 and be completely set in the secondary while taking a depth WR and RB in rounds 3 and 4. I don't want to commit a long term deal anywhere close to 20 million for him. But if he doesn't like his offers and wants a 1 year deal worth 6-8 million more than his current offers by all means be a mercantile and get this team into serious contention. 

I am all for that. Plus you could coax Gronk out of retirement.....

Just now, Locomark said:

I am all for that. Plus you could coax Gronk out of retirement.....

Gronk is joining WWE and I think the team is fine with Knox and Kroft for some reason. I just don't see Gronk being able to stay healthy for a full season either. But I think that unless a golden opportunity like Clowney on a one year deal presents its self that the Bills are done with big moves.

1 hour ago, hjnick said:

From this point, I'd say bringing in a Top end DE, like you said.  Clowney would blow the top off this defense.

Another move we could make would be to pick up OT Trent Williams from Wash in a trade.  I saw somewhere they would take a 2nd for him.

Those 2 moves solidify both lines. 

I like that! With the weapons we have, giving Josh more protection and time to survey the field is paramount for a successful season. Yes, Dawkins to RT would be the move as well. He's not an elite LT, serviceable but not elite or pro bowl material.

• Like (+1) 1

Isn’t  one of Clowney’s knees is bone on bone? That’s as big a red flag as you will get- and especially for an edge rusher. 
One RB high in the draft is necessary. Let’s see what Tyler Kroft can do when he’s fit. Similarly, let’s see if Dawson Knox has continued to improve his hands before spending any more on tight end.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I’m sitting at home in Sydney, Australia bored stiff and all your comments are helping keep me sane.

Cordy Glenn is available after the Bengals cut him.  Probably would come back for less than he was getting.  He was better than Dawkins at the time we traded him.  One of them could play RT and let Cody Ford be a designated backup until he can beat out one of the other guys.

This wouldn't be an all-in move but it could provide good insurance for the O line. 

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Gronk is joining WWE and I think the team is fine with Knox and Kroft for some reason. I just don't see Gronk being able to stay healthy for a full season either. But I think that unless a golden opportunity like Clowney on a one year deal presents its self that the Bills are done with big moves.

I was kidding about. He's too dumb to play in this offense.... Clowney for 1 year would be great but it won't happen. They are going with what they got at DE. They might splurge on a CB2 though...

Kalil Mack. 13 mil this year and 17 mil next year (base salary) are more palatable now that Lawson and Phillips each got 10 mil a year.

Not sure what portion of the signing bonus or salary Chicago would eat.

He is 28-29, loves Buffalo, adds the Pass rush difference maker and has a favorable out in 2022, when JA needs to be extended.

Would rather have him than Ngouke or Clowney.

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, hjnick said:

From this point, I'd say bringing in a Top end DE, like you said.  Clowney would blow the top off this defense.

Another move we could make would be to pick up OT Trent Williams from Wash in a trade.  I saw somewhere they would take a 2nd for him.

Those 2 moves solidify both lines. 

Problem is that he wants 20 mil a year

12 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Clooney. 

George? You think he has anything left? Will he stay motivated after selling his tequila business? Would we have to move training camp to Lake Como? I doubt that’s wise for this season.