Ways That Diggs Is Major Game Changer For Offense

jwhit34

Diggs changes so much on offense:

• If the Bills are in 11 personnel (Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Knox, Singletary) and send 5 out, defenses will probably commit 2 to Diggs. Are the other 4 all facing single coverage?
  • It probably brings 6 DBs on the field - matchup advantage for Knox? 
  • On passing downs will defenses be forced to drop 7 into coverage and only rush 4? If so, that helps pass protection
  • Teams cannot commit 7 and 8 "in the box" to stop the run - does this open up run lanes for Singletary?
  • Knox could be a huge beneficiary - if D has to drop at least 2 deep for Brown and Diggs then intermediate (seam) routes open up for Knox especially if they send Beasley short and he has to be accounted for
  • Tougher for teams to "spy" on Allen because they have to respect the receivers - more RPO opportunities?
  • Does this open up the screen passing game? 

Now Allen has to develop and be respected as a passer, most of this dissipates if he doesn't take the next steps forward in his development. 

Knox's development is also important. Look at Austin Hooper's progression:

Year 1: 19 catches 271 yds. 3 TDs

Year 2: 49 catches 526 yds. 3 TDs

Year 3: 71 catches 660 yds. 4 TDs

Knox was 28/388/2 if he can get to at least 50-55/550-600/4 then the passing game is going to take off. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

• If the Bills are in 11 personnel (Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Knox, Singletary) and send 5 out, defenses will probably commit 2 to Diggs. Are the other 4 all facing single coverage?
  • On passing downs will defenses be forced to drop 7 into coverage and only rush 4? If so, that helps pass protection
  • Teams cannot commit 7 and 8 "in the box" to stop the run - does this open up run lanes for Singletary?
  • Knox could be a huge beneficiary - if D has to drop at least 2 deep for Brown and Diggs then intermediate (seam) routes open up for Knox especially if they send Beasley short and he has to be accounted for
  • Tougher for teams to "spy" on Allen because they have to respect the receivers - more RPO opportunities?

Now Allen has to develop and be respected as a passer, most of this dissipates if he doesn't take the next steps forward in his development. 

Knox was 28/388/2 if he can get to at least 50-55/550-600/4 then the passing game is going to take off. 

Pretty much how I feel too.  Covering Brown and Diggs with Cole underneath is going to be a tough assignment.  I think this will open up a lot for our run game and definitely Knox.  

And Singletary out of the backfield is going to be a nice weapon too on top of his running threat.  Plus I expect to add another playmaker at RB along side Devin.  

And after all that, you still NEED to account for Josh running.  I mean, this offense could be special next year.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Pretty much how I feel too.  Covering Brown and Diggs with Cole underneath is going to be a tough assignment.  I think this will open up a lot for our run game and definitely Knox.  

And Singletary out of the backfield is going to be a nice weapon too on top of his running threat.  Plus I expect to add another playmaker at RB along side Devin.  

And after all that, you still NEED to account for Josh running.  I mean, this offense could be special next year.  

Only if Brian Daboll grows a brain and Cody Ford can develop at RT.

If RT becomes a problem, forget about having a top flight offense.

Even though I think Ford can be special at RT (most don't) but it is hardly a given yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yes.   I wrote something about this in another thread.   The bottom line is that the entire field is now open to the offense, which forces the defense to defend the entire field.  The Bills now have all the skill position tools to attack whatever part of the field they want.  

One player, but it's a major change.  

31 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Even though I think Ford can be special at RT (most don't) but it is hardly a given yet. 

I wrote somewhere else that his deal signals that McBeane think the team is ready now.   If they thought they needed help on the oline, they would either have gone after oline talent in these first few days or they would have strategized about what it would take to get talent in the draft.   Instead, what did they do?   They ignored the oline in free agency AND traded away the draft pick.   That says, loud and clear, that the oline as is will be as good as they need, and it still leaves the door open for a player to emerge out of camp.  

• Like (+1) 1

It's one reason I think we need to upgrade at RB and if not upgrade then bring in a bigger back like AJ Dillon. 

If teams decide to play with a lot of DB's and smaller up front we need to be able to pound the rock. 

Dillon can be that guy for us

• Like (+1) 3

With Diggs, opposing defenders have no choice but to put three defenders deep to cover him and or Brown, this will likely open up the field for Beasley and our other receivers, it becomes a pick your poison deal for the defense. Josh do you hear that? its opportunity you hear knocking...

Go Bills!!!

I loved what we did last year with our WR group (fast, shifty guys who can get open taking the onus off Josh to always be precise) and Diggs fits in great with that. I also like his ability to line up outside or in the slot. The price was steep but we need vets around our young QB to make his job easier. I'm still bearish that there will even be a season this year, but if there is look out!  

2 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

If we can manage to get Claypool as our WR4 and AJ Dillon as our RB 2-3 in the second and third rounds in addition to the weapons we already have, this offense should be great. 

I like both, and both are possible. RT is still a concern but hard to have everything.

Having Smoke and Diggs outside forces a S deep. Lots of speed and good hands outside now. It should mean easier running lanes for DS and JA and whoever else gets into the mix, and less clutter in the middle of the field for the short/intermediate game too.

• Like (+1) 1

For what it's worth, Diggs' 2 greatest strengths are his hands and his route running. He's as good as anyone in the NFL in those departments. No more excuses for Josh. This guy's gonna be open all over the field so he'd better not miss him. You can't keep the safeties back if you keep missing the long ball by a mile.

Clearly the OL is now the biggest concern. We need 2 more steps up like we took last offseason when we went from one of the worst OL's ever to nearly average.I hope we go after OL and CB help on day 2 of the draft.

Edited by GreggTX

1 minute ago, GreggTX said:

For what it's worth, Diggs' 2 greatest strengths are his hands and his route running. He's as good as anyone in the NFL in those departments.

He also gets a lot of separation and then can simply flat out run past you...some people play faster than their 40 times, and Diggs is definitely one of them even with a 4.46...kind of similar to Watkins in that way...

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, ngbills said:

Well MINN had Diggs, Thielen, Cook, Rudolph, Treadwell and whoever else was in the mix

Yeah - you have to avoid the problems that Minnesota had.  Find an identity and form it.  I don't think the 3 offensive coordinators in 3 years did them any favors.  

Even so - they had a pretty good offense in 2/3 years.  But i agree with you, this doesn't put buffalo in the talk of #1 offense unless Allen makes a Cam Newton like jump.  It just puts them in that top half.  

Edited by dneveu

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Knox had some ridiculously bad drops last season. His drop rate was sky high.... wondering if that's just a case of him having bad hands....

always the silver lining.  

Just now, ScottLaw said:

The guy had like a 20% drop rate. That's nuts.... hopefully he just needs experience.

some of them were very disappointing.  a lot looked like he was trying to run too early rather than concentrating on the catch.  if that is the case, i'd hope it's easy to fix.  

16 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

Teams might as well just forfeit to us now!!!

• Haha (+1) 2

On 3/18/2020 at 4:23 PM, njbuff said:

A lot of what the OP mentioned will help mask some of the flaws in the o-line.

Hopefully, it will also mask some of the flaws in play-calling.