We are looking at Melvin Gordon according to this tweet

On 3/18/2020 at 5:09 PM, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

What does that mean, "teams were expecting more cap space?" I believe the cap went up about $10m this year with the new CBA, about what it always does.

Probably due to the extra two playoff games. Each team got about $2M more for that.  I was expecting 2-4 million more per team in cap space than was allocated, mostly due to that and the previous trajectory of the cap. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Devin is a #1 RB. He may not be a combine warrior but the kid is a stud on the field. I truly think the Bills are looking for a Gore replacement to complement Devin. Not someone to take his place.

Agreed. Tbh I was a little skeptical when they drafted him but he won me over and I was calling for him to get more carries pretty quickly. He is a lot stronger and harder to bring down than I imagined and has great footwork. They definitely don't need someone to take his place. 

39 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They need more playmakers.... just adding Diggs isn’t enough. 

Agreed. Devin and Melvin are both excellent out of the backfield. I'd love them both on the field in 2 back sets every once in a while. As long as Fowler's not too spensive they have the cap . You make that deal to put an impact back in that offense with Singletary. My dos centavos.

Edited by BeefCurtns

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Devins solid, but he’s no home run threat.... bills need a guy who can score from anywhere on the field, IMO.

I was going to but...

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

See:  Brown, John.  

See:  Diggs, Stefon.

I am more concerned about our RB's moving chains then just homerun speed.  I mean the obsession with the home run long TD runs is crazy to me.  That happens a few times a year at best.  But moving chains happens on every drive on every carry.  Get me the guy who gets me the most consistent YPC and is a TD threat in the Redzone.

Homerun long TD runs by a RB is over rated and the least important part of a RB's job.  

...this guy beat me to it.  I'll take the guy who consistently breaks 10-20 yarders.  0.5 more yards per carry is infinitely more valuable than someone who can "take it to the house" once or twice a year.

Anyone can be a home run threat if they swing hard enough and are fine with striking out the other 99% of the time.

55 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They need more playmakers.... just adding Diggs isn’t enough. 

Ugh..."playmakers"...I hate that lazy, nebulous word.

We have Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Knox, and Singletary already.  All very capable of "making plays".  You sound like the type to never be happy unless every member of the roster down to the practice squad is an all pro elite player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/19/report-melvin-gordon-has-no-offers-close-to-the-one-he-turned-down-in-2019/

Now he’s a free agent, and not only is he still not getting the offer he wants, but he’s not even getting an offer as good as what the Chargers offered last year.

You would think they would of learned from Bell.  He lost a lot of money skipping a year and now Gordon is getting less than he was offered.

RB is a difficult position to maximize your pay.  Gurley did it and he just got cut.  Zeke did it and the Cowboys are in cap hell like the Rams.  At least Zeke is still healthy.  Just hard to pay that position what it is worth.

9 hours ago, klos63 said:

But Gordon is much better, why not aim higher?  If Beane is ok with spending the money I don't understand why fans worry about it.

If it was just spending Terry & Kim Pegula's money, nobody would worry about it.  Go ahead and throw $10 million per year at Melvin Gordon.

But because of the salary cap, overspending will eventually catch up to you.  

Maybe not this year.  Maybe not even next year.  But somewhere down the line.  The dumb money you threw at one player who failed to contribute, will ultimately result in you being forced to cut/let go a player that does contribute.  

In today's NFL, avoiding big money to Running Backs should be "Cap Rule 101."  No position breaks down faster after the age of 25 than RB (Gordon is 26).  And rookie RBs taken in Rounds 2-3 frequently outperform the high-paid vets.  Instead of wasting big bucks on free agents, RB is a position that you should just plan on drafting a new guy on Day 2 every couple years.  Rinse and repeat.

I also think the gap between Gordon and Carlos Hyde is much smaller than you think.  Hyde is older (which should factor in), but in many ways he actually played better than Gordon last year.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, ElMarko said:

Gordon is not getting anything near $10 million so stop saying this number. He’s in range to get what Gore made last year. 

He’ll get more than Gore. I think Gore got something like $2.5 mil, I see Gordon signing someplace like TB for 1 year/$6.5 million. That’s my guess.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

If it was just spending Terry & Kim Pegula's money, nobody would worry about it.  Go ahead and throw $10 million per year at Melvin Gordon.

But because of the salary cap, overspending will eventually catch up to you.  

Maybe not this year.  Maybe not even next year.  But somewhere down the line.  The dumb money you threw at one player who failed to contribute, will ultimately result in you being forced to cut/let go a player that does contribute.  

In today's NFL, avoiding big money to Running Backs should be "Cap Rule 101."  No position breaks down faster after the age of 25 than RB (Gordon is 26).  And rookie RBs taken in Rounds 2-3 frequently outperform the high-paid vets.  Instead of wasting big bucks on free agents, RB is a position that you should just plan on drafting a new guy on Day 2 every couple years.  Rinse and repeat.

I also think the gap between Gordon and Carlos Hyde is much smaller than you think.  Hyde is older (which should factor in), but in many ways he actually played better than Gordon last year.

Keyword, overpay for a RB. Some are worth second contracts so long as they are not being paid more than $8M AAV.

8 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Anyone can be a home run threat if they swing hard enough and are fine with striking out the other 99% of the time.

Ugh..."playmakers"...I hate that lazy, nebulous word.

We have Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Knox, and Singletary already.  All very capable of "making plays".  You sound like the type to never be happy unless every member of the roster down to the practice squad is an all pro elite player.

Yeah.  Brown had over 1,000 yards and Beasley had a career year.  Add another 1,000 yard WR to that plus Singletary's 5.1 YPC and Knox hopefully learning to secure the catch before running and it's a fine group.  I still think they need to upgrade the OL.

19 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Gordon is so overrated and completely misplayed his hand.  Just draft a guy for much, much cheaper.

I tend to agree.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Smitty75 said:

What’s the last news about Gordon ?

Yesterday it seems positive !

Wawrow said we aren't pursuing him at all. Seems to think he ends up in KC or Denver but was sure to say he is not an option for us.

If I was Gordon I would take a one year prove it deal from the Bills.

He doesn't have to be the wear-and-tear go to RB.

He doesn't have to take a massive beating.

He can be ultra-productive and build his reputation back up.

If he does those things in Buffalo, he will get that massive pay day in 2021.

But what do I know. I ain't him and I ain't the Bills. ?

52 minutes ago, DJB said:

Gordon shouldn't be too far off that number

I've been mostly against the idea of adding Gordon. 

But if we can get him on a 1-year $5 million deal, then I would be OK with it.