Higgins pro day turned Bills off and led us to Diggs trade

This could be an outstanding WR draft class, but doing a quick cost benefit analysis, trading those picks and taking on Diggs' contract (and likely extension should he perform) is far better than using the 22nd pick on a guy like Higgins or even moving up with another pick to take one of Lamb, Jeudy, or Ruggs.  Those guys may be stars but it'll take them a little time to acclimate.  And it means they can perform a true assessment of Allen at the 2020 season's conclusion.  

It was hard to stomach the 2017-18 seasons when Buffalo unloaded so much cap space and featured lesser talented teams, particularly on offense.  But having cap space makes a deal like this possible and for that I give McBeane credit. Good on them not following conventional wisdom and taking what was left at 22 or even trading up.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DFT said:

Well, I believe VERY differently and not really gonna divulge why or debate this one (respectfully).  I believe the move has much more to do with player-readiness in the wake of the season’s delays and it’s impact on the rookie receivers.  Just my opinion.  I’m sure we’ll learn more as we move forward.

High level business meetings?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillnutinHouston said:

To put John Brown or Beasley on the bench in a 3 WR set?  

Thanks. These people clamoring for another WR have no clue what successful teams invest/carry at the position. The Chiefs don’t have a “size guy” that TBD posters claim the Bills still need. Drafting a 4th WR who would play 20% of snaps or so at best isn’t going to happen. 

13 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Beane's overriding impetus seems to be flexibility. Every one of his moves, signings, the contracts, etc seems to be based of making sure he isn't forced to make a move. They will almost certainly draft a WR, but Higgins bombing his workout would have reduced the flexibility at 22 into taking someone they may not believe to be a '22' player. Diggs in the fold means they can virtually go any direction they want on draft day. 

..and I have a hunch with the run on WR and O-line that seems to be coming that the Bills draft a defensive player

Ya I can see a CB being the pick , but I believe they will go bpa at WR,DE,CB, maybe OT. We really have no glaring needs .

Could see them going RB in Rd 3 . 

I wouldn't say WR is completof off the table in round 2, but I'd be very surprised if they took one there after acquiring Diggs.  I think it would have to be someone that is left that they rate significantly higher than any of the available DE, CB, OT or even RB left.  I'm starting to think that CB could be the position with BPA left, but DE is still certainly a need if there is a good player left there.

i could imagine, though, that the above scenario could happen in round 3 - there could still be a WR that just stands out so much on their board that they take him.

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I see....so because you want a O Linemen so bad you refuse to recognize the fact that while we have plenty of speed on the field.....we still dont have a lot of size at WR

If a guy like Claypool drops to our 2nd round pick......I am sure he will be in play.

.....Chief

9 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

Or a WR, chief. To make you feel better I'll toss in TE and FB too.  How's that, chief?  It simply will not happen.  There are 5 o linemen on the field at one time.  Sometimes six or even 7.  If you think that they fully addressed the o line in FA last off season then you are no  chief.

I think it’s so funny that you are both named Chief!  It’s really not a very common guy name at all.  It would be like two girls named Cinnamon randomly bumping into each other on a chat board.  What are the odds? Maybe if it was a stripper chat board the odds would be a little bit better, but you know what I mean.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, DFT said:

Well, I believe VERY differently and not really gonna divulge why or debate this one (respectfully).  I believe the move has much more to do with player-readiness in the wake of the season’s delays and it’s impact on the rookie receivers.  Just my opinion.  I’m sure we’ll learn more as we move forward.

This makes sense, and if so, adds to the feeling that we are in “win now” mode, if and when the season is played.