Higgins pro day turned Bills off and led us to Diggs trade

Well this makes sense as to why they would look to trade vs draft one at 22 if they weren’t enamored with who they believed would be there.  

His forty times are fine, it’s faster than Hopkins and Thomas.  But wow, dead last or near bottom in the other areas is not a good showing and now I could see him slipping in the draft and could see even multiple WRs leap frog him.  And forty time isn’t as critical as people make it to be, the other agility drills and stuff are more important to getting separation than a 40 time.  

I am skeptical they take a WR in the second after spending a first and 3 other picks on Diggs.  But certainly think they could snag one in rounds 3 or 4.  But if the right WR is there in the 2nd like Aiyuk or Shenault then it may be too much value to pass up.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, SWATeam said:

Maybe a little propaganda hoping that Higgins lasts til 54?

They are NOT spending their top two picks on WRs (with Diggs essentially being this year's #1).    They can draft a developmental WR in the 5th or 6th round...

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

They are NOT spending their top two picks on WRs (with Diggs essentially being this year's #1).    They can draft a developmental WR in the 5th or 6th round...

I don't know, they still need size and seem to be filling a lot of their needs in FA.

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

That doesnt follow Beane's MO.....we strongly  biult our OL through free agency and still drafted Cody Ford in the 2nd round

I think its gonna be BPA

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DFT said:

Well, I believe VERY differently and not really gonna divulge why or debate this one (respectfully).  I believe the move has much more to do with player-readiness in the wake of the season’s delays and it’s impact on the rookie receivers.  Just my opinion.  I’m sure we’ll learn more as we move forward.

I do not think that long-term personnel decisions are made based on speculation regarding abbreviated training camps this year.  At least I pray that isn't affecting Beane's draft strategy.  May as well trade all our picks away and retain everyone who knows the playbook.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Beane's overriding impetus seems to be flexibility. Every one of his moves, signings, the contracts, etc seems to be based of making sure he isn't forced to make a move. They will almost certainly draft a WR, but Higgins bombing his workout would have reduced the flexibility at 22 into taking someone they may not believe to be a '22' player. Diggs in the fold means they can virtually go any direction they want on draft day. 

..and I have a hunch with the run on WR and O-line that seems to be coming that the Bills draft a defensive player

It may be that the value at WR is 3rd or 4th round;  so be it. With Diggs, Smoke and Beas around we're suddenly in a position to let our guy develop a year or two.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I do not think that long-term personnel decisions are made based on speculation regarding abbreviated training camps this year.  At least I pray that isn't affecting Beane's draft strategy.  May as well trade all our picks away and retain everyone who knows the playbook.

The decision to trade for Diggs is exactly that.  And to be clear, “abbreviated camps” is a bit of an oversimplification given this is very new territory for sports as a whole.   It was better to trade for a young, proven player than swing for a rookie, with a potential uncertain learning curve.  The Bills are in “win now” mode.  It makes perfect sense, with respect.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

They're not picking a receiver in the second round.  We need a corner, running back, OT, and possibly a linebacker. 

The article mentioned Claypool in the 3rd, but I don’t know if he lasts that long. Could he? I don’t know what’s expected. He made a play at the Senior Bowl that turns out was just OB, but it was athletic enough for a big guy to make me ask “who was that?”.  Ran faster than I expected for his size, could be a mismatch. Having said all that, I’m no expert and saw very little of him. Appreciate opinions from those who know more. 

I also don’t see WR in the 2nd and would put my money on the best DB, OT or edge value available. Maybe WR in the 3rd if.......value.

Nice job once again that we don’t have to reach based upon need.  

19 minutes ago, DFT said:

The decision to trade for Diggs is exactly that.  And to be clear, “abbreviated camps” is a bit of an oversimplification given this is very new territory for sports as a whole.   It was better to trade for a young, proven player than swing for a rookie, with a potential uncertain learning curve.  The Bills are in “win now” mode.  It makes perfect sense, with respect.

They all have uncertain learning curves even with full camps and business as usual.  Is Beane going to trade every pick in this draft for second and third contract players?

There are not going to be rookie mini camps or OTA's this offseason.

We'll be lucky if they start training camp at the end of July on time.  This is not a good year to be a team rookie dependent for anything and its a horrendous year to be introducing a new offensive or defensive scheme.  Five new head coaches, eleven new defensive coordinators, ten new offensive coordinators this year in the League, and a QB carousel like I have never seen before.  Imagine being the teams who are going to draft a rookie QB this year and trying to get them ready for opening weekend?

Makes a lot of sense to fill as many needs as you can with veterans who know the NFL game in Free Agency this off season, as rookies are really going to be behind the learning curve this year.  The Diggs pick up makes even more sense when you look at it through this lens.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 7

14 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

They all have uncertain learning curves even with full camps and business as usual.  Is Beane going to trade every pick in this draft for second and third contract players?

No.  No he’s not.  And learning curves have never been tested to the degree they could be this year.  This year’s class faces more uncertainty than ever.  Again, the decision to trade for Diggs instead of invest in a 1st round WR absolutely in some part involved what’s happening in all of professional sports.  You’re welcome to your opinion of course.

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Well ALRIGHT then.

1 hour ago, DFT said:

Well, I believe VERY differently and not really gonna divulge why or debate this one (respectfully).  I believe the move has much more to do with player-readiness in the wake of the season’s delays and it’s impact on the rookie receivers.  Just my opinion.  I’m sure we’ll learn more as we move forward.

Should just leave it at "player readiness". Not sure any delays play in. We know what we're getting with Diggs. Plug and play. Win for today. 

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

So all of Beane's eggs were in the Tee Higgins basket?  Not buying it.

An opportunity to acquire Diggs presented itself and Beane jumped on it.  Simple as that.  

No argument here 

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

Maybe a little propaganda hoping that Higgins lasts til 54?

Well - he shouldn't have issue separating from the 1st round.