Bills sign RB Taiwan Jones 1 YR

11 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Yep, this is a special teams move.

It's part of the game.

I think it’s a psychological move.  If he stays, he won’t be able to make a game-winning play against them in the playoffs.  Maybe he’ll end up on the practice squad so the coaches can say “This is the guy that made the key play against you in the playoff game.  Get him!”

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

They are bringing in another character guy that they know.  This guys can make plays when needed and is a ST stud.  Worth a look.  

Yeah, he replaces perine as the RB3 on gamedays.  Or was it Perry?  I dont remember and i don't care to look it up.  In any case new ST running back wooooo

Edited by dneveu

With the signings of both Taiwan Jones & Tyler Matakevich - clearly the Front Office was significantly concerned with upgrading the performance of the special teams units in this upcoming season. Good for them - it seemed to me that, especially our kick coverage teams, were a liability at times for us last year. As we have plans of being a contender in the AFC this year, we cannot afford to give games away due to special teams weakness. These types of "under the radar" signings can make the difference between making the playoffs or just missing out - or better yet make the difference between playing at home in the playoffs versus going on the road. I hope these guys work out well for our special teams units.   

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Bulldog said:

With the signings of both Taiwan Jones & Tyler Matakevich - clearly the Front Office was significantly concerned with upgrading the performance of the special teams units in this upcoming season. Good for them - it seemed to me that, especially our kick coverage teams, were a liability at times for us last year. As we have plans of being a contender in the AFC this year, we cannot afford to give games away due to special teams weakness. These types of "under the radar" signings can make the difference between making the playoffs or just missing out - or better yet make the difference between playing at home in the playoffs versus going on the road. I hope these guys work out well for our special teams units.   

Indeed.  Kick coverage and returns are typically your biggest yardage swings with change of possession.  It’s best to be good at this.  Field position is important.  

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He’s whatever but I’m glad they didn’t stupidly pay Howard or some other veteran running back.  Draft a guy and say run through the hole. RB has the lowest learning curve of any position.  Why they invest on a vet blows my mind.  Mike Tolbert.

image.png.d72adf2de4b6e82cda23542b84806086.png

Retaking his rightful spot as this year’s Sinorice Perry. Wouldn’t be McD without having one. Maybe this time with the expanded active rosters under new CBA, we won’t have to prioritize STs at the expense of the offense. Nah....Who am I kidding? This is still McD we’re talking about. ?

On 3/18/2020 at 3:46 PM, Rc2catch said:

Lots of guys can play special teams. 
It’s a travesty to have gore and singletary as the only two active running backs and Perry not able to take a carry and Yeldon just twiddling his thumbs inactive. Special teams is fine, special teams only players who can’t play offense or defense is a waste of a spot 

Oh darn I'm sure Yeldon woulda been a real difference maker....more than the guy making tackles preventing long returns on kicks and punts.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Taiwan  Jones gonna get a longer thread than Diggs

I love watching people freak out over not landing perennial Pro Bowlers to be our third strings and special teamers.  Some people aren't happy unless they're miserable.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Nelius said:

Probably better than Senorise Perry. Upgrade everywhere you can.

Perry is supposedly a good STer in his own right. Not going to pretend I'm an expert on special teams play but that's his reputation.. anyhow; it's Perry's replacement but also they have different roles on the ST units.

IIRC Jones lined up as the return man in his last stint here, at the very least on kick returns, can't remember if he fielded punts too. Perry definitely didn't do that. I *think* Perry was the up-back on the punt team but I'm not even entirely sure of that either. Could be a very big shuffle of the ST roles in 2020 which is needed considering their performance. 

I also think Jones provides a little more juice if pressed into play on offense