Chargers moving forward with Tyrod for 2020

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

TT's limitations could only be hidden for so long and defenses finally saw he would not challenge them across the entire field.  HIs YPA, YPG, and sacks taken all declined from 2015 to 2017 and his progression just never happened from that first year with Rex.  Credit to Beane for getting a 3rd from Cleveland for him.

I'd be shocked (shocked!) if the LAC do not maneuver their way toward selecting a QB.

I don’t think there’s any doubt that they are selecting a QB. They are using Tyrod as the bridge. That only makes sense. He’s just like the other “bridge options” except already knows the system and is cheaper.

7 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Not true.   All those other names can score more than 3 points in a playoff game.  

He’s way behind Dalton Jameis and Trubisky      Maybe a wash with Mariota but I’d take Mariota 

Jameis threw 30 INTs. That hurts. That’s why they let him walk despite 5,200 yards. They just brought in Foles to compete with Trubisky. As I said, all interchangeable. There’s no reason to continue on the topic. We disagree and it will all play on over time.

They could do a lot worse than TT he's a good leader & a very safe QB when it comes to not throwing turn overs if he could just get a bit more of a gun slinger mode to him he's got a powerful arm the dude could be really dangerous if he'd take a few more chances & rely on his arm strength more to put it in tight windows .

All the other stuff is there he can run that's for sure i wish him the best !!

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No they made the playoffs IN SPITE of the poor choice to bench him for a scrub 5th round pick while we were the 6th seed of the playoffs in week 11 against a struggling 3-6 Chargers team on a 2 game losing streak.  Their 3 wins were narrow wins against bad opponents too. 

I love McD and think he is currently one of the best young coaches in the NFL right now...but that was his one big blunder in my eyes as a rookie HC.  Ultimately it worked out still making the playoffs, but we would have most likely beaten the Chargers had we started TT instead of Nathan PickerMan that game.  

And winning that game would have meant we didnt need Cincy's help.

This.  He's ideal to start the year as the QB because he's easy to transition away from if whatever rookie they draft shows the staff they are ready.  And if the rookie isnt where they want him to be, they can still remain somewhat competitive with TT just as much as most the guys left on the market that would cost a lot more.  

Wrong. Taylor couldn’t lead the team to one fourth quarter TD the last 5 games of the season when they needed one badly. They got in by the skin of their teeth and a gutsy defense and some luck.  Taylor laid another egg in the playoff game. The D played its ass off. Taylor should have won the game. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...uh oh...Tyrod back to 2nd fiddle?................

Chargers are debating the possible pursuit of Cam Newton

Posted by Mike Florio on March 18, 2020, 1:38 PM EDT

The Panthers want to trade Cam Newton. They’ve yet to find a partner. Given the challenges associated with having team doctors conduct a proper physical in advance of any trade, the Panthers ultimately may have to cut Newton.

And if/when they do, the Chargers may be waiting.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Chargers currently are debating whether to pursue Newton. A trade remains unlikely given the inability of team doctors to give him a physical. But the Chargers could pursue Newton, if/when he’s released.

The Bears had been linked to Newton, but they’ve traded for Nick Foles. That leaves few seats for Newton.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/18/chargers-are-debating-the-possible-pursuit-of-cam-newton/

They’ve been interested in cam for awhile but I thought cam wasn’t interested based on the info they gave rap sheet today 

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He's exactly who I think they're targeting. He might even end up being better than Goff. Wouldn't that be funny.

Herbert would be a very nice QB of the future for them. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Just think it is odd strategically from the Chargers. If you start a season with Brady you are in pure "win now" if you start it with Tyrod and rookie you are in "transition." How can you plan the rest of your offseason when you don't know which of those two very different scenarios you are aiming at? 

It's good to have a GM and HC on one specific path.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well I think it was they felt Brady was the only one who could put them in a place to truly contend for something and are not looking at the left overs out there as guys that help them beat teams like the Chiefs and Ravens.  So if you are not going to get over the hump, might as well keep the guy you have and focus on developing the rookie.  

I look at it as why throw good money at bad money?  Cam isnt what he used to be and an injury concern.  Winston, is well Winston.  Dalton had talented teams in Cincy before and couldn't get anywhere.  Etc etc.  Why pay those guys who want to start and could be a locker room issue if you want to bench them for a rookie midseason versus staying the course with a guy they know well whose a great locker room guy in Tyrod?  

So I just think it was as simple as them seeing the only QB to make them a viable playoff team with a chance to make a post season push was Brady.  

I get not signing another middle of the road guy.... what I don't understand is how you effectively run two offseason strategies right up the the middle of the legal tampering period. Because the guys you are adding if you sign Brady are not the same guys you are adding if you are going Tyrod and a rookie. And if they are? Well then you are doing it wrong. 

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Jameis threw 30 INTs. That hurts. That’s why they let him walk despite 5,200 yards. They just brought in Foles to compete with Trubisky. As I said, all interchangeable. There’s no reason to continue on the topic. We disagree and it will all play on over time.

I'd take Winston over Tyrod any day of any week if I had to start someone for a year. It isn't even a close decision in my mind. That said the question for the Chargers is who is the sacrificial lamb until week 4? If they had nobody under contract I'd still go Winston but given Tyrod is there on the books and cheap there is no sense in replacing him for the sake of a better guy who you still want riding the pine by the time the bye weeks start. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Wonder if Bosa and Ingram and Allen are gonna want off the team? Let’s face it Chargers are probably gonna blow it up and start over especially with Tyrod as starting QB

If someone told me my team was starting Tyrod and I was a player worth my salt my trade request would be on the table by noon..

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Some of you realize we had a top 10 scoring offense with Tyrod and missed the playoffs? Almost like how we had 26th ranked offense this year and made the playoffs.  Almost like it’s a team game.  

4th quarter, who do you want under center? Tyrod Taylor or pretty much any other QB?

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I get not signing another middle of the road guy.... what I don't understand is how you effectively run two offseason strategies right up the the middle of the legal tampering period. Because the guys you are adding if you sign Brady are not the same guys you are adding if you are going Tyrod and a rookie. And if they are? Well then you are doing it wrong. 

I'd take Winston over Tyrod any day of any week if I had to start someone for a year. It isn't even a close decision in my mind. That said the question for the Chargers is who is the sacrificial lamb until week 4? If they had nobody under contract I'd still go Winston but given Tyrod is there on the books and cheap there is no sense in replacing him for the sake of a better guy who you still want riding the pine by the time the bye weeks start. 

You aren’t going to win anymore games with Jameis under center than you are Tyrod. Jameis is an incredible talent and if the lightbulb ever went on he could be really good. With that being said, the Chargers are taking a guy either way. He would be there as a placeholder. He’s no better in that role than Tyrod.

If I were the Patriots I’d absolutely take a swing at Jameis. He’s worth the gamble. He just doesn’t make any sense in a placeholder situation.

52 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

It's good to have a GM and HC on one specific path.

Exactly. The Chargers have been run like amateurs for years though. No surprise here. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

You aren’t going to win anymore games with Jameis under center than you are Tyrod. Jameis is an incredible talent and if the lightbulb ever went on he could be really good. With that being said, the Chargers are taking a guy either way. He would be there as a placeholder. He’s no better in that role than Tyrod.

If I were the Patriots I’d absolutely take a swing at Jameis. He’s worth the gamble. He just doesn’t make any sense in a placeholder situation.

I could win more games with a rusty bin lid than Tyrod. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Exactly. The Chargers have been run like amateurs for years though. No surprise here. 

I could win more games with a rusty bin lid than Tyrod. 

You say that but he’s 24-21-1. He’s not going to win 4 games because he doesn’t make mistakes. Jameis is 28-42 and has talent around him. Jameis could absolutely be a 4 win QB. His floor is WAY lower and his ceiling WAY higher. 

If I’m Jacksonville I’d take a shot on Jameis too. If he’s good, you found your guy. If he’s bad, you pick early next year and can chase Fields or Lawrence. 

The goal of each team is different. The Chargers are trying to play good defense and not lose games (which Rivers absolutely did last year). They are trying to find their next franchise QB and will do that in the top 10. Jacksonville is already in tank mode. Jameis is the ultimate boom or bust. He makes sense in that situation. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You say that but he’s 24-21-1. He’s not going to win 4 games because he doesn’t make mistakes. Jameis is 28-42 and has talent around him. Jameis could absolutely be a 4 win QB. His floor is WAY lower and his ceiling WAY higher. 

If I’m Jacksonville I’d take a shot on Jameis too. If he’s good, you found your guy. If he’s bad, you pick early next year and can chase Fields or Lawrence. 

The goal of each team is different. The Chargers are trying to play good defense and not lose games (which Rivers absolutely did last year). They are trying to find their next franchise QB and will do that in the top 10. Jacksonville is already in the tank mode. Jameis is the ultimate boom or bust. He makes sense in that situation. 

I can't watch Tyrod play football. He makes my eyes bleed. I'd watch Jameis throw 100 interceptions rather than watch Tyrod running around in circles not throwing the football. 

I think Winston would win more games than Tyrod in the same situation because one can play Quarterback and the other can't. Simple as that. 

I agree in the situation the Chargers are in Tyrod makes more sense but only because he is already there and they are only looking for a 4-6 game placeholder anyway. If I was Chargers GM and I had no QB on the roster and someone said Winston or Taylor I wouldn't let him finish the question before I made my choice. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I can't watch Tyrod play football. He makes my eyes bleed. I'd watch Jameis throw 100 interceptions rather than watch Tyrod running around in circles not throwing the football. 

I think Winston would win more games than Tyrod in the same situation because one can play Quarterback and the other can't. Simple as that. 

I agree in the situation the Chargers are in Tyrod makes more sense but only because he is already there and they are only looking for a 4-6 game placeholder anyway. If I was Chargers GM and I had no QB on the roster and someone said Winston or Taylor I wouldn't let him finish the question before I made my choice. 

I guess my point is Tyrod will win somewhere between 6 & 10 games there (if he plays all year). Jameis would win somewhere between 4 & 12. He’s been closer to the 4 win guy but has the ability to be at the other end of the spectrum. He can win you games and he can lose you games. Tyrod doesn’t do either. Jameis is absolutely more likely to win a Super Bowl but he’s not necessarily more likely to lead the team to a better record. That’s about all that I have on it though. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess my point is Tyrod will win somewhere between 6 & 10 games there (if he plays all year). Jameis would win somewhere between 4 & 12. He’s been closer to the 4 win guy but has the ability to be at the other end of the spectrum. He can win you games and he can lose you games. Tyrod doesn’t do either. Jameis is absolutely more likely to win a Super Bowl but he’s not necessarily more likely to lead the team to a better record.

Tyrod's ceiling is 9. And I reckon if he plays 10 seasons he might get there twice. I agree Jameis has a lower floor. But that is cos he tries to play Quarterback. If Jameis never threw the ball he'd never throw an interception either. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Tyrod is as good as the Foles/Dalton/Mariota/Jameis/Trubisky level guys. It makes sense financially as well. They’ll draft a guy and play Tyrod until the guy is ready. No reason to pay 2 placeholder types.

Eh, I'd say he's a step behind those guys. He looked pretty terrible in Cleveland.

• Like (+1) 3