Who's your 2nd round crush now that the Bills don't have a 1st round pick?

njbuff

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

If a guy like Aiyuk is there you'd have the potential to go from one of the worst WR groups in the league to one of the best in one year with terrific depth..... again, the defense was the strength of this team and they've already made moves to ensure they stay there, they need to do more to improve the offense. 

I suspect you are right though considering how this regime is more defense oriented.... I don't expect WR or even RB at 54.

If Aiyuk was there he absolutely should be the pick. I think he will be long gone. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If Aiyuk was there he absolutely should be the pick. I think he will be long gone. 

I read something a couple of months ago that said something to the tune of “the overwhelming majority of teams that I’ve spoken to think Brandon Ayiuk is a better prospect than N’Keal Harry was a year ago.” That’s stuck with me. Now I realize this WR class is MUCH deeper, it feels like Ayiuk may be one of those guys that teams like more than talking heads. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I read something a couple of months ago that said something to the tune of “the overwhelming majority of teams that I’ve spoken to think Brandon Ayiuk is a better prospect than N’Keal Harry was a year ago.” That’s stuck with me. Now I realize this WR class is MUCH deeper, it feels like Ayiuk may be one of those guys that teams like more than talking heads. 

I have a higher grade on Aiyuk than I had on Harry. Not by a lot but he is a tick or two higher. 

If I mix the last two year's worth of receiver classes together on my grades I get:

1. Jeudy

2. Lamb

3. Ruggs

4. AJ Brown

=5. Metcalf

=5. Higgins

6. Aiyuk

7. Harry

8. Reagor

=9. Marquise Brown

=9. KJ Hamler

• Like (+1) 1

Definitely Laviska Shenault. He immediately fits into our offense as McKenzie's role. Injury concerns make him a reach in the 1st but I think the value is perfect at pick 54. That would put the final touch on the makeover of our offense.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Definitely Laviska Shenault. He immediately fits into our offense as McKenzie's role. Injury concerns make him a reach in the 1st but I think the value is perfect at pick 54. That would put the final touch on the makeover of our offense.

I wouldn't hate Shenault at #54. The value isn't there in the 1st for talent reasons as well as injury concerns but I can see it at #54. He is, coincidentally, currently at #55 on my big board. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't hate Shenault at #54. The value isn't there in the 1st for talent reasons as well as injury concerns but I can see it at #54. He is, coincidentally, currently at #55 on my big board. 

He might slip further.

Shenault might be a 3rd rounder at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He has too many concerns for me in the 1st but would be a worthwhile gamble in the 2nd. I agree, that he has a lot of those “McKenzie skills” that help complete that WR room. 

FWIW, I’ve heard that the Bills were a little underwhelmed with the receiving prospects which is how the Diggs trade started (and not just the Higgins workout). Now, I don’t know if that means all of them or just the guys that they thought they could draft. They were smart, realizing that they needed a number 1 not another receiver. If they didn’t come away from the combine/workouts thinking that they had a shot at a number 1 this route made sense. They may see value from rounds 2 on.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

FWIW, I’ve heard that the Bills were a little underwhelmed with the receiving prospects which is how the Diggs trade started (and not just the Higgins workout).

This has been reported by a few others as well. I would be surprised to see us pick and outside WR in the 2nd but Shenault fits in as a gadget player. Since we didn't tender McKenzie that is still a missing piece.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He has too many concerns for me in the 1st but would be a worthwhile gamble in the 2nd. I agree, that he has a lot of those “McKenzie skills” that help complete that WR room. 

FWIW, I’ve heard that the Bills were a little underwhelmed with the receiving prospects which is how the Diggs trade started (and not just the Higgins workout). Now, I don’t know if that means all of them or just the guys that they thought they could draft. They were smart, realizing that they needed a number 1 not another receiver. If they didn’t come away from the combine/workouts thinking that they had a shot at a number 1 this route made sense. They may see value from rounds 2 on.

Allen’s youth likely plays a part as well. A QB like Wilson, Brady or Rodgers can direct traffic and explain things like a coach on the field which helps young WRs. Allen isn’t quite experienced enough for that. Adding Diggs makes that a non-issue. They can now draft a developmental WR later and groom them to replace Beasley and/ Brown when their contracts are up. Also let’s a rookie get comfortable before (I hope not) an injury situation forces action. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This has been reported by a few others as well. I would be surprised to see us pick and outside WR in the 2nd but Shenault fits in as a gadget player. Since we didn't tender McKenzie that is still a missing piece.

I get what you are saying and I theink the value lines up, but I'm not sure you spend a second on a gadget player. I like Anae, Greenard or CB/RB here

As of now just looking at holes on the team, RT/CB & RB need to be addressed, but Edge value here is pretty good as well and we are pretty old in that position

Edited by Reed83HOF

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Allen’s youth likely plays a part as well. A QB like Wilson, Brady or Rodgers can direct traffic and explain things like a coach on the field which helps young WRs. Allen isn’t quite experienced enough for that. Adding Diggs makes that a non-issue. They can now draft a developmental WR later and groom them to replace Beasley and/ Brown when their contracts are up. Also let’s a rookie get comfortable before (I hope not) an injury situation forces action. 

I think that’s one of the reasons that I was against Shenault in the 1st. I didn’t want to the Bills to “need” him. He’s raw and that was risky. With the room as it is now, he’s appealing as a weapon and role player.

23 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Agree and I had been saying that for a few weeks. I like Higgins better than the rest of the class after the top 3. If the top 3 are gone I feel #22 is a bit early for Higgins and Aiyuk who were my next two and with both I think what you are getting - at least in 2020 - is a good #2. Very different skill sets but that would have been there level in year 1 for me. I think they both have a chance to be #1s down the road but they were not #1s right out of the gate. 

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I just want better offensive players. Diggs isn't enough, IMO. 

So do I. I want better edge players too though. I think ours are pretty sucky. 

8 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I get what you are saying and I theink the value lines up, but I'm not sure you spend a second on a gadget player. I like Anae, Greenard or CB/RB here

As of now just looking at holes on the team, RT/CB & RB need to be addressed, but Edge value here is pretty good as well and we are pretty old in that position

Bowden comes into play in the third IMO

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that’s one of the reasons that I was against Shenault in the 1st. I didn’t want to the Bills to “need” him. He’s raw and that was risky. With the room as it is now, he’s appealing as a weapon and role player.

This is why I’m higher on Bowden for Daboll’s offense. You get a similar skill set as Shenault - less size/physicality, but more speed and athleticism - while maintaining all of the gadgetry bonuses. Plus, on top of the ability to run the ball - 2nd nationally in YPC - Bowden has a lot of QB experience for those WR option passes Daboll loves to use. 

Edited by Buffalo Junction

Just now, Buffalo Junction said:

This is why I’m higher on Bowden for Daboll’s offense. You get a similar skill set as Shenault - less size/physicality, but more speed and athleticism - while maintaining all of the gadgetry bonuses. Plus, on top of the ability to run the ball - 2nd nationally in YPC - Bowden has a lot of QB experience for those WR option passes Daboll loves to use. 

Bryce Perkins is another name if he's open to slash rather than strictly QB

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Bryce Perkins is another name if he's open to slash rather than strictly QB

Possibly, but I’m not sure if he can catch. I do like him as a late round developmental QB though. I think he’d be a great practice squad player so defenses get accustomed to QBs with legit athleticism.... Maddeningly inconsistency as a passer though, and a lot of his deep strikes are 50/50 lobs. 

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Bowden comes into play in the third IMO

If the Bills went Dobbins, Bowden, edge rusher I would be ecstatic 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Possibly, but I’m not sure if he can catch. I do like him as a late round developmental QB though. I think he’d be a great practice squad player so defenses get accustomed to QBs with legit athleticism.... Maddeningly inconsistency as a passer though, and a lot of his deep strikes are 50/50 lobs. 

I think he's got the athleticism to figure it out, and a larger frame than Bowden. Wouldn't want him as more than an emergency qb to start though.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If the Bills went Dobbins, Bowden, edge rusher I would be ecstatic 

For me it's Hamler, Bartch (or any RT, edge would be fine too), and Evans.