AFC rankings

This is a thread largely for estimating what you think are the current rankings in the AFC. I realize this is still too early, buy hey what else do we have to do in these corona times?

I got

Chiefs- Super bowl winners with a mostly returning roster. Hard to put anyone ahead of them.

Ravens- Will Lamar repeat last year's performance? Unlikely that it will be quite as good, but the Ravens have a very solid roster, and were the #1 team in the AFC last year. 

Bills- I think the Bills Defense improved slightly, and the offense has the potential to bust open with Diggs added. Could rise more depending on Allen, but could also be worse if the offense doesn't improve

Titans- Will Tannehil repeat last year's performance over the course of a full season? Doubtful. However, I think the running game could keep him effective, and they have a strong defense.

Steelers- Solid roster overall, were missing a reliable QB last year. Does Big Ben have a good year left in him? To be seen, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers in the 10-6/11-5 range 

Broncos- I think the Broncos may surprise some people. They were trending upwards by the end of the year, and may be moving back towards relevance.

Texans- I think losing Hopkins will be a big blow to their offense, and not having any firsts will not help. I may not be giving Watson enough credit here, but I think the Texans are going downhill from last season.

Pats*- The Pat's* still have a solid defense, and unless they start trading away players, I would be surprised to see them near the bottom. They still get to play the Jets and the Phins twice as well.

Browns- Do the browns finally put all this talent together into something useful? Let me see a competent Oline first. I'll believe the Brown's success when I see it.

Colts-  The colts have a solid roster, but I don't think Phillip Rivers is going to be overly successful at that age.

Raiders- I don't see anything better than 8-8 happening with this team. Nothing about it really impressed me.

Chargers-  Tyrod Taylor at Qb? I think we have seen enough to say that will never result in more than a single game playoff berth.

Dolphins- I think that Phish will improve this season... To third in the division. I doubt their FA spending spree makes them suddenly great... Or good. 

Jets- I expect Darnold to get torn apart behind that O line (or lack there of)

Jags- Do I even need to say anything here?

Bengals- I don't expect Joe Burrow to have enough help to do much with this team. 

Who do ya got?

Edited by Watkins101
Formatting
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Wow. The AFC looks much weaker.

Here's my ranking:

1) Kansas City

2) Baltimore

3) Pittsburg (with Big Ben back)

4) Houston (They beat us in the playoffs. No way to say we are better than them yet)

5) Buffalo

6) Tennessee

7) Indianapolis

? New Jersey

9) Las Vegas

10) New England

11) Denver

12) Cleveland

13) LA Chargers

14) Miami

15) Jacksonville

16) Cincinnati

Edited by MJS

I think us and Chiefs and Ravens are the teams to beat. I think Tannehill comes back to earth and Henry gets hurt. Always happens when a back gets paid. I think the Raiders are a bit of a sleeper. I really like the Mariota fit there and their defense is improved. 

• Like (+1) 4

18 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

This is a thread largely for estimating what you think are the current rankings in the AFC. I realize this is still too early, buy hey what else do we have to do in these corona times?

I got

Chiefs- Super bowl winners with a mostly returning roster. Hard to put anyone ahead of them.

Ravens- Will Lamar repeat last year's performance? Unlikely that it will be quite as good, but the Ravens have a very solid roster, and were the #1 team in the AFC last year. 

Bills- I think the Bills Defense improved slightly, and the offense has the potential to bust open with Diggs added. Could rise more depending on Allen, but could also be worse if the offense doesn't improve

Titans- Will Tannehil repeat last year's performance over the course of a full season? Doubtful. However, I think the running game could keep him effective, and they have a strong defense.

Steelers- Solid roster overall, were missing a reliable QB last year. Does Big Ben have a good year left in him? To be seen, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers in the 10-6/11-5 range 

Broncos- I think the Broncos may surprise some people. They were trending upwards by the end of the year, and may be moving back towards relevance.

Texans- I think losing Hopkins will be a big blow to their offense, and not having any firsts will not help. I may not be giving Watson enough credit here, but I think the Texans are going downhill from last season.

Pats*- The Pat's* still have a solid defense, and unless they start trading away players, I would be surprised to see them near the bottom. They still get to play the Jets and the Phins twice as well.

Browns- Do the browns finally put all this talent together into something useful? Let me see a competent Oline first. I'll believe the Brown's success when I see it.

Colts-  The colts have a solid roster, but I don't think Phillip Rivers is going to be overly successful at that age.

Raiders- I don't see anything better than 8-8 happening with this team. Nothing about it really impressed me.

Chargers-  Tyrod Taylor at Qb? I think we have seen enough to say that will never result in more than a single game playoff berth.

Dolphins- I think that Phish will improve this season... To third in the division. I doubt their FA spending spree makes them suddenly great... Or good. 

Jets- I expect Darnold to get torn apart behind that O line (or lack there of)

Jags- Do I even need to say anything here?

Bengals- I don't expect Joe Burrow to have enough help to do much with this team. 

Who do ya got?

Pats too high. Dolphins too low. I think Miami is going to be really good.

Miami is rebuilding very quickly with all that cap space and war chest of high draft picks and is well coached but Ftiz hits the wall when he goes against good D and if they draft rook qb like Tua or Herbert (sp) they could sneak into last spot as jets are slower rebuild and the pats not looking so good so far

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think us and Chiefs and Ravens are the teams to beat. I think Tannehill comes back to earth and Henry gets hurt. Always happens when a back gets paid. I think the Raiders are a bit of a sleeper. I really like the Mariota fit there and their defense is improved. 

this

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Pats too high. Dolphins too low. I think Miami is going to be really good.

Pats still have their top 3 defense mostly intact. Miami still has a ton of holes and the two offensive lineman they picked up are a guy who got run out of New York and then had half a solid season in Washington and a meh center from New England (whose weakest point has often been the o-line) and will be playing with Fitz and/or a rookie QB. I don't see it. Some of their moves have been good (love the Jones signing) and they have a ton of draft capital, but it's harder to get from 5 to 10 wins than from 0 to 5. 

Sometimes we look only at personnel which undoubtedly is very important but must also look at schedule. Bills had maybe the easiest schedule last season and this year looks much tougher. Could make equaling last year's wins tough.

46 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

Miami is rebuilding very quickly with all that cap space and war chest of high draft picks and is well coached but Ftiz hits the wall when he goes against good D and if they draft rook qb like Tua or Herbert (sp) they could sneak into last spot as jets are slower rebuild and the pats not looking so good so far

First Round Bust....   Ha, ha...   I see what you did there. :)

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ganesh said:

I would move the Jets way up...They had a 4-game win streak at the end including 7 of the last 9....people don't give credit for the Jets

I agree - The Jets will be solid with a healthy Moseley back, full year for Darnold and i'm sure they're going to do something more than just throw money at some mediocre-bad Offensive Lineman before FA ends.  Also have some nice picks to work with.

That being said....  The Pats will still be tough until I see with my own eyes that they aren't, the Dolphins are much improved and we have a Super Bowl level roster around Josh Allen.  Going to be tough sledding in the AFCE, along with playing the NFCW.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Here's my ranking:

1) Kansas City

2) Baltimore

4) Houston (They beat us in the playoffs. No way to say we are better than them yet)

5) Buffalo

6) Tennessee

7) Indianapolis

? New Jersey

9) Las Vegas

10) New England

11) Denver

12) Cleveland

13) LA Chargers

14) Miami

15) Jacksonville

16) Cincinnati

Yes Houston beat us in the playoffs but they just lost a top 3 WR. 

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Here's my ranking:

1) Kansas City

2) Baltimore

4 ) Houston (They beat us in the playoffs. No way to say we are better than them yet)

5) Buffalo

6) Tennessee

7) Indianapolis

? New Jersey

9) Las Vegas

10) New England

11) Denver

12) Cleveland

13) LA Chargers

14) Miami

15) Jacksonville

16) Cincinnati

Sure there is.

First off we should have beaten them at their home. 

Secondly they lost their best player on the team, arguably a top 3 Receiver in the league.

Thirdly, we gained a top 10 WR.  

Put that all together and you can logically make the case that the Bills are the better team.

Edited by Magox