2015 Arizona Cardinals and the 2020 Buffalo Bills

Shaw66

2015 wasn't that long ago.   John Brown, in his second NFL season, was the Cards' #2 receiver, paired with Larry Fitzgerald.  Michael Floyd was their #3 guy, at least in the stats.   Carson Palmer throwing.   Cards went 13-3.  Cards were second highest in yards passing per game, 5th in passer rating.  Chris Johnson and David Johnson shared the ball carrying.  #1 in yards per game, #2 in points per game.  Cards were 5th in yards per game defense and 7th in points per game defense.

Fast forward five years.   Brown seems to be in his prime, probably a better receiver today than he was in 2015.   Stefon Diggs isn't Larry Fitzgerald, but he's damn good.  He's a better deep threat than Fitzgerald, and he's no slouch running underneath routes.   Beasley is a perfect complement to the two deep guys.  

Allen is a QB with the arm and the body that Palmer had, and he's more mobile.   Coincidentally, Palmer's brother is his coach.  

Singletary needs a running mate.  

I'm predicting nothing, but the comparison gives an idea of what this offense could become.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Nice post. I briefly made a similar connection in my head after the Diggs trade solely because of John Brown, but I did not go into the depth you did. I think it's a fair comparison assuming we find that running mate for Singletary. Not gonna predict 13-3 though.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Philo said:

Nice post. I briefly made a similar connection in my head after the Diggs trade solely because of John Brown, but I did not go into the depth you did. I think it's a fair comparison assuming we find that running mate for Singletary. Not gonna predict 13-3 though.

I agree.   I just found myself thinking about how explosive Diggs and Brown could be together and began wondering what might be a fair comparison.   

Lots of reasons why it might not happen, but the Cards' 2015 offense is a picture of what the Bills could do. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree.   I just found myself thinking about how explosive Diggs and Brown could be together and began wondering what might be a fair comparison.   

Lots of reasons why it might not happen, but the Cards' 2015 offense is a picture of what the Bills could do. 

Moulds, Beebe and Lofton.

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

2015 wasn't that long ago.   John Brown, in his second NFL season, was the Cards' #2 receiver, paired with Larry Fitzgerald.  Michael Floyd was their #3 guy, at least in the stats.   Carson Palmer throwing.   Cards went 13-3.  Cards were second highest in yards passing per game, 5th in passer rating.  Chris Johnson and David Johnson shared the ball carrying.  #1 in yards per game, #2 in points per game.  Cards were 5th in yards per game defense and 7th in points per game defense.

Fast forward five years.   Brown seems to be in his prime, probably a better receiver today than he was in 2015.   Stefon Diggs isn't Larry Fitzgerald, but he's damn good.  He's a better deep threat than Fitzgerald, and he's no slouch running underneath routes.   Beasley is a perfect complement to the two deep guys.  

Allen is a QB with the arm and the body that Palmer had, and he's more mobile.   Coincidentally, Palmer's brother is his coach.  

Singletary needs a running mate.  

I'm predicting nothing, but the comparison gives an idea of what this offense could become.  

If the o is even top 10 , we have a very legit shot at a SB

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

IMO the two big questions are:

Does Josh take the next step? And how does Daboll fare with a better stocked cupboard?

I have good faith in the former and am lukewarm on the latter for now. 

6 minutes ago, Philo said:

Does Josh take the next step? And how does Daboll fare with a better stocked cupboard?

Absolutely.   The oline is a smaller question.   It's pretty much all on Daboll and Allen. 

I agree, Shaw. Since 2018 they've gone from bottom tier offense/offensive line to solid (if unspectacular) offensive line and poor (but not scraping the bottom) offense in 2019.

So far in 2020, the pieces are in place. I concur with the need for the 2 in a 1-2 punch involving Singletary, and it would be nice to add least add some tackle depth before the draft which I'm sure they'll do.

It's probably wishful optimist thinking but I also feel the Bills have at least the foundation of not just a decent offense, but a powerful one. As everyone has said before me, it's all on Allen. If he makes the same jump he made from year 1 - 2 in year 3, we have a QB that we can stay the course with.

With Diggs is in the picture, if Allen masters the deep throw (or at least is in coin flip territory) he will become a freak. Cheat code enabled. Many ifs but Singletary and especially Knox might take a bigger step this year. Were Knox to become a reliable target... 

I understand some of the frustration with Daboll, but it seemed like in every game this year there were multiple shots downfield with a receiver open that Allen or the receiver didn't convert. More egregious was the playoff loss where there were several throws at the end of the game and I don't want to blame the receiver, but have to wonder if Diggs makes those catches.

very fair comparison with a couple big differences 

Carson Palmer 13 years older than Allen 

Arians master play caller

13 guaranteed great weather games only 3 road in potential bad weather  @pitt early Oct,,,,,Cleveland Nov...  Philly Dec  thats it

Did anyone go to the redskins - eagles or ravens game you could only throw the ball in one direction

14 minutes ago, CardinalScotts said:

very fair comparison with a couple big differences 

Carson Palmer 13 years older than Allen 

Arians master play caller

13 guaranteed great weather games only 3 road in potential bad weather  @pitt early Oct,,,,,Cleveland Nov...  Philly Dec  thats it

Did anyone go to the redskins - eagles or ravens game you could only throw the ball in one direction

The experience difference is real, but I don't think it's that big of a deal.   I mean, Allen won't be a veteran signal caller, but he's going to get a lot of open shots. 

Arians is a big deal.  That's a good point. 

I went to all of those games, and it was tough.  But I can't recall three games in one season like those.   It was unusual.  

I know it's crazy to talk about an offense being explosive when it was as weak as it was last season.   But with one move the Bills accomplished what they wanted - to force the defense to defend the entire field.   With Diggs and Brown on the field, the defense has to defend the bubble screen, the slants, the outs and the ups, every play.   They have to defend Beasley and the tight end underneath from sideline to sideline.   They have to defend the screens, swings and wheel routes to Singletary.   They have to defend EVERYTHING.   It's what the Rams did to you two years ago, and it's what the Chiefs did to you last you.   

I keep coming back to the fact that one move improved three positions.   The Bills suddenly have a top ten #1, a top ten #2, and a top ten #3.  Last season they weren't better than top 20 at any of those positions.   I think life just a lot easier for a young quarterback.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Philo said:

I am 100% agreement with your thoughts process.  Both question marks and your opinions on optimism of them!!

• Like (+1) 1