Clowney considering options including a "prove it" short term deal

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Who rots on the bench between Hughes, Addison (who we just paid starting money to), or Epenesa (our top draft pick)? Not sure how losing one of our starting DT's equates to signing a FOURTH starting quality DE. 

McDermott loves his d-lineman. I think they'll make a plan. 

He'll get creative with the d-line and find a way to get them all involved. 

Or cut Murphy.

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Who rots on the bench between Hughes, Addison (who we just paid starting money to), or Epenesa (our top draft pick)? Not sure how losing one of our starting DT's equates to signing a FOURTH starting quality DE. 

Addison is a backup.  Epenesa is a rookie without an offseason.  Do they need Clowney? No.  Would he improve our defense and pass rush? Yes.  Also, I think Buffalo has a chance to win it all.  They need to enter the arms race.  If it he is a slight upgrade but keeps him off KC, BAL or NE its still worth it.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Addison is a backup.  Epenesa is a rookie without an offseason. 

Seriously? Backup? Over the past 4 years, Addison has had THIRTY NINE sacks! 9.5 just last year and signed to a 3 year, 30 million dollar deal (50% guaranteed). 

A.J. Epenesa was considered by many to be the 2nd best pass rusher in the entire Draft. A 1st Round talent that Beane loves. 

The Clowney ship sailed when we signed Addison and made our big splash trading for Stefon Diggs. Double so when we spent our 1st pick on a Epenesa. With Tre White, Dion Dawkins, and Matt Milano needing to be re-signed on the horizon - spending most of our cap space on a 1 year gun for hire - when we're already good at DE... just makes no sense.

How about we just sign a space eating DT to replace the space eating DT we lost?

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Seriously? Backup? Over the past 4 years, Addison has had THIRTY NINE sacks! 9.5 just last year and signed to a 3 year, 30 million dollar deal (50% guaranteed). 

A.J. Epenesa was considered by many to be the 2nd best pass rusher in the entire Draft. A 1st Round talent that Beane loves. 

The Clowney ship sailed when we signed Addison and made our big splash trading for Stefon Diggs. Double so when we spent our 1st pick on a Epenesa. With Tre White, Dion Dawkins, and Matt Milano needing to be re-signed on the horizon - spending most of our cap space on a 1 year gun for hire - when we're already good at DE... just makes no sense.

How about we just sign a space eating DT to replace the space eating DT we lost?

Yea but Addison is old as *****.

8 hours ago, Mat68 said:

Addison is a backup.  Epenesa is a rookie without an offseason.  Do they need Clowney? No.  Would he improve our defense and pass rush? Yes.  Also, I think Buffalo has a chance to win it all.  They need to enter the arms race.  If it he is a slight upgrade but keeps him off KC, BAL or NE its still worth it.

Mat, respectfully, Addison is not a back up.  In the last five years, he’s had 46 sacks compared to Clooney’s 27.5.  It’s a little harder to evaluate run stuffing, but Clowney is a luxury.  We have around $22 mil. After Star opted out which means his salary gets counted against the cap in the next two years.  It’s almost certain the cap will go to the floor at $175,000,000 so with a normal $10 mil. Increase, that’s a swing of -$35 mil.  I’m not applied math PhD, but with our current surplus we have to shave at least -$13 mil.  

Add to it the point we need to extend either or both Dawkins and Milano, hopefully both.  The following year we have T. White as we already put the 5th year option, and the year after that Allen.  I know we’ll lose probably Murphy, Hughes, Kroft, etc. so too complicated to speculate everything, but we have to make the most of our draft picks.

All of these decisions make my head hurt to think, but one thing we don’t need is Clowney.  We have Addison, Butler, Jefferson, Epenesa, H. Phillips, Murphy and Hughes.  That’s enough.

I called into NFLR yesterday and discussed how we have 88% of snaps returning and 23 starters before Star, so still tied for first in the NFL.  Juxtapose the Pats had 67%, and now with all of those players opting out, they will have the least amt. of snaps from starters returning in the league.  Also, all of those contracts are just pushed into the next Two year for the Pats, so they have to use what they gained this year on replacement players, and Hightower and Chung are no joke.  With the pushing back of contracts into 2021 and 2022, they either doing a lot of creative contracts, or they are thin on the cap for three years.

13 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Yea but Addison is old as *****.

TB, Addison hasn’t dropped off at all.  He had 9.5 sacks last year, and the year before.  Yes, he’s probably a two year solution, but for now it gives us time to draft more DE’s over two years.

• Like (+1) 2

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 11:52 AM, machine gun kelly said:

TB, Addison hasn’t dropped off at all.  He had 9.5 sacks last year, and the year before.  Yes, he’s probably a two year solution, but for now it gives us time to draft more DE’s over two years.

His sack numbers haven't dropped off. The advanced analytics and the eye test tell you he has. His pass rush win % was way down in 2019. He was signed to be a starter. He will start week 1. I am less convinced he will still be a starter by the end of the season.

8 minutes ago, njbuff said:

What is this guy really asking for that he hasn't been signed yet?

Wants to play for a contender and wants $10m plus.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

His sack numbers haven't dropped off. The advanced analytics and the eye test tell you he has. His pass rush win % was way down in 2019. He was signed to be a starter. He will start week 1. I am less convinced he will still be a starter by the end of the season.

Wants to play for a contender and wants $10m plus.

If it's just north of 10 mill, he probably would have signed somewhere by now. It's crazy. Maybe he isn't a fan of playing during COVID, who knows.

And for Addison...........

the Bills do have choices at DE and I don't think they will asking the moon and the stars from Addison.

47 minutes ago, njbuff said:

If it's just north of 10 mill, he probably would have signed somewhere by now. It's crazy. Maybe he isn't a fan of playing during COVID, who knows.

And for Addison...........

the Bills do have choices at DE and I don't think they will asking the moon and the stars from Addison.

It is the contender bit that is hurting not the money bit.

On 7/28/2020 at 9:29 PM, Mat68 said:

Clowney can also slide inside or play with his hand off the ground which would give the rotation flexibility 

I don’t think it’s being considered nor am I advocating it here but it’s not insane either

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Clowney has about as much chance to come to Buffalo as Marcel Dareus does

Agreed.  Can’t believe we are still talking about Clowney for two full off seasons because some unsubstantiated twitter rumors 18 months ago.  

If he was coming to Buffalo, he would already be here and we wouldn’t have signed two good DE’s and drafted a stud prospect.  

People need to move on.  Clowney ain’t coming to Buffalo this year and Tupac ain’t making a resurrection.  

• Thank you (+1) 1