Clowney considering options including a "prove it" short term deal

On 6/10/2020 at 10:44 PM, Happy said:

Trust me, I have no problem with letting Murphy go, I think that would be preferable.  The problem is McDermott and Frazier don't see it that way.

I agree that the roster is getting there, though the d-line will need to be addressed again next year with a few players on short term contracts as well as turning 32-33 years old, who are mostly stop gaps.  Addison is one of them; I don't get letting Shaq go and bringing in a 32 year old DE, but he's an ex Panther so....

The o-line might also need to have a couple of spots addressed - RT, RG, LG - depending on how this year plays out.

Bills are lining up contracts to coincide with when they’ll need that money available to re-sign our young guys.  

Addison and Hughes both give us, potentially, strong rotational DE’s for the next two years while they restock the EDGE with young, rookie contract talent in the Draft to go with Epenesa. 

I would’ve been fine re-signing Lawson, but it seems clear the FO wasn’t enamored. 

• Like (+1) 1

I know Murphy played well at the end of the year, but just don’t see them keeping his salary.  They will value extending Milano, and Dawkins more with the $.  I was listening to NFLR and with a $175 mil. Floor, that’s basically a $45 mil. hit given it would have normally moved up at least another $10 mil. Under normal conditions.  Given that, we only have $20 mil. Or just under in space.  Dropping Murphy allows us to get at least these two signed.  White will have to wait.  We already placed the 5th year option on him for 2021.

On 6/12/2020 at 12:40 AM, dneveu said:

He might end up signing for about that much.  There's rumors of the cap going down in 2021 so teams are going to want to carry over more than normal.

That cap space we have now might be earmarked for Milano/dawkins/tre.

You think so? $7 mill? I really doubt it. I'd guess he'll still get somewhere around $10 - $12 mill. Guess we'll see, though. No way to be sure, you could be right.

On 6/12/2020 at 2:29 AM, auburnbillsbacker said:

The Bills have more cap space than the 7 million they would get from cutting those guys.

Yes, but again, I believe they want to use that cap to re-sign guys like Milano and Dawkins. I'd put the odds on us getting Clowney at miniscule, for money reasons.

16 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I know Murphy played well at the end of the year, but just don’t see them keeping his salary.  They will value extending Milano, and Dawkins more with the $.  I was listening to NFLR and with a $175 mil. Floor, that’s basically a $45 mil. hit given it would have normally moved up at least another $10 mil. Under normal conditions.  Given that, we only have $20 mil. Or just under in space.  Dropping Murphy allows us to get at least these two signed.  White will have to wait.  We already placed the 5th year option on him for 2021.

Bet they let Milano walk, find a cheap replacement in the draft, let someone else overpay and then bring Milano back in a couple years when they cut him. In short, the Belichick method.

2 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Bet they let Milano walk, find a cheap replacement in the draft, let someone else overpay and then bring Milano back in a couple years when they cut him. In short, the Belichick method.

Seeing as the defense Regresses when Milano is not in the lineup I think that would be a huge mistake, And I don't think your giving him enough credit saying pick him up after he get's cut...   I'd say he is playing at a better Level then when Nigal left.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, gordong said:

Seeing as the defense Regresses when Milano is not in the lineup I think that would be a huge mistake, And I don't think your giving him enough credit saying pick him up after he get's cut...   I'd say he is playing at a better Level then when Nigal left.   

I agree hes better than Bradham and will get a lot more money.

The defense regressed so much because he's not being replaced by an equivalent player. It's always either trash or it's Lorenzo Alexander moving into a role he's not suited for. 

But who was Matt Milano before McDermott and Frazier got him? Just a midround pick nobody wanted. I think they can do that again and save a truckload.

6 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

I really like Milano and know our defense is better with him on field but I think he has to be odd man out on money. We can't pay everybody 12 million a year and they need to look to pay Josh 30 at least. I also think his best attribute is flat speed and we can replace that easier than the other physical gifts of Tre and Edmunds. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

I agree with this. Milano is a good player and system fit.  He missed a fair amount of tackles and is clearly not worth 14+ mill a year imo.  He’s great in coverage but is more of a detriment to the run D.   I’d offer him 9-10 and hope it satisfies his minimalistic lifestyle.  If he go’s, so be it.  We aren’t going to be able to pay everyone. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/18/2020 at 10:00 AM, ngbills said:

Exactly. Bring him to BUF. I would think he sees this supporting cast and would think he could put up good numbers and play for a good defense setting him up for a big contract somewhere next year. 

If we bring him in someone would have to be let go , I wonder who that would be ?

I don’t why Clowney doesn’t get it over with and sign with TN for $10-11 mil.  He’s not going to get anywhere near what he wants, and if he wants to be on a good team, TN is better than a lot of people give them credit.  We beat them last year as Marriotta was playing.  He may not be great, but Tannehill played better than Marriotta.  TN has $24 mil. In cap space and would probably like him at the right price.  He’s not worth the garbage he keeps saying he’s worth.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, gordong said:

I think it would be a mistake to let Milano walk too. I think him and Edumonds are one of the best combos in the league and they complement each other well.

I wouldn't break the bank for Milano but I would easily give him a good offer. I think depending on how he plays in 2020 I think offering him a deal between 8 to 9.5 million aav is a good idea. No need to overpay but no need to undervalue either.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I really like Milano and know our defense is better with him on field but I think he has to be odd man out on money. We can't pay everybody 12 million a year and they need to look to pay Josh 30 at least. I also think his best attribute is flat speed and we can replace that easier than the other physical gifts of Tre and Edmunds. 

yes. exactly

5 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I think it would be a mistake to let Milano walk too. I think him and Edumonds are one of the best combos in the league and they complement each other well.

I wouldn't break the bank for Milano but I would easily give him a good offer. I think depending on how he plays in 2020 I think offering him a deal between 8 to 9.5 million aav is a good idea. No need to overpay but no need to undervalue either.

I agree, if he will sign for that, you bring him back, if somebody is going to give him 10+M a year, so be it.  He’s good, not great, and at a position that’s just not going to get huge money once you have to pay everyone else.  I would be planning my life around making Tre a priority, so there HAS to be room for him, Dawkins will have to be paid and then you are looking at Allen/Edmunds.   Allen is the wild card, if he takes the next step, you are in for 35M/yr, if not, you have to start thinking about possibly using Tre as trade bait, trying to get a couple first rounders for him and be ready to move up for a QB again.  Allen’s success this year will be a huge factor in a lot of these deals.

15 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I think he gets more than that on the market is the point. 

Milano could be Talley type, very good player making all others better playing around him. But never to be the over paid superstar. He will never be spectacular...Talley/Hansen.

If wants to be over paid...bye bye.

As for Clowney he has only proved himself to be a greedy wanta be star. The media anointed him a star, coaches and most GMs have not. The league would not miss him. IMHO. 

11 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

With Star opting out, Buffalo has a massive sum removed from this years cap.  I would make a play for Clowney. He is absouletly affordable.

Who rots on the bench between Hughes, Addison (who we just paid starting money to), or Epenesa (our top draft pick)? Not sure how losing one of our starting DT's equates to signing a FOURTH starting quality DE. 

• Like (+1) 1