Clowney considering options including a "prove it" short term deal

15 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Agreed.  But, they could  always let Murphy go, Smith and probably another couple guys without killing depth.  Roster seems to be in great shape.

Trust me, I have no problem with letting Murphy go, I think that would be preferable.  The problem is McDermott and Frazier don't see it that way.

I agree that the roster is getting there, though the d-line will need to be addressed again next year with a few players on short term contracts as well as turning 32-33 years old, who are mostly stop gaps.  Addison is one of them; I don't get letting Shaq go and bringing in a 32 year old DE, but he's an ex Panther so....

The o-line might also need to have a couple of spots addressed - RT, RG, LG - depending on how this year plays out.

2 hours ago, wppete said:

Sign him already on a 1 year deal prove it deal. Brandon Beanes specialty, 1 year deals.

I agree! Sign him and really make this defense electric...no doubt...play makers galore!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, purple haze said:

Agreed.  But, they could  always let Murphy go, Smith and probably another couple guys without killing depth.  Roster seems to be in great shape.

Cutting Murphy and Smith would save them a bit over $7 mill against the cap after subtracting the dead cap.

Anyone think Clowney's coming here for $7 mill?

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Cutting Murphy and Smith would save them a bit over $7 mill against the cap after subtracting the dead cap.

He might end up signing for about that much.  There's rumors of the cap going down in 2021 so teams are going to want to carry over more than normal.

That cap space we have now might be earmarked for Milano/dawkins/tre.

12 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

I agree! Sign him and really make this defense electric...no doubt...play makers galore!

Does he want to sign at a place with hughes and addison?  He's traditionally played roughly 80% of snaps when healthy.  Depending which side he plays on - he might be looking at say - 50-60%.  Assuming he plays on say hughes side. 

Also - if he's so good... why are Murphy's stats from 2019 better than Clowneys?

Edited by dneveu

13 hours ago, Happy said:

Trust me, I have no problem with letting Murphy go, I think that would be preferable.  The problem is McDermott and Frazier don't see it that way.

I agree that the roster is getting there, though the d-line will need to be addressed again next year with a few players on short term contracts as well as turning 32-33 years old, who are mostly stop gaps.  Addison is one of them; I don't get letting Shaq go and bringing in a 32 year old DE, but he's an ex Panther so....

The o-line might also need to have a couple of spots addressed - RT, RG, LG - depending on how this year plays out.

I'm sure Beane is prepared to deal with all of these situations when it comes time.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Happy said:

I hope it works out on the field, because I agree, it makes no sense on paper.

This will likely be Hughes' last year, this is Murphy's last contract year, and Addison is already 32 and will be 33 when this season starts.

On paper, it would seem to have made the most sense to re-sign Shaq, sign Addison, cut/trade Murphy, and draft Epenesa. That gives us Hughes and Addison as the old heads in the room and Shaq/AJ as the heir-apparents.

But In Beane I Trust, so let's see how it goes.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I hope it works out on the field, because I agree, it makes no sense on paper.

This will likely be Hughes' last year, this is Murphy's last contract year, and Addison is already 32 and will be 33 when this season starts.

On paper, it would seem to have made the most sense to re-sign Shaq, sign Addison, cut/trade Murphy, and draft Epenesa. That gives us Hughes and Addison as the old heads in the room and Shaq/AJ as the heir-apparents.

But In Beane I Trust, so let's see how it goes.

I keep wondering if there was something about Shaq they didn't like or trust, or if he was among the last remnants of the old regime, with Hughes being the other but they know he's done after this year.  And for some reason, they really like Murphy.

Edited by Happy

On 6/10/2020 at 7:44 PM, Happy said:

Addison has been better player all around.  Now he is older.   But I think Beane and McD think they will get more for the same money.  I liked Shaq though.  

23 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I thought Murphy was 7 by himself.  But no, Clowney wouldn't want to come anywhere for 7 million.  But at this late date he might not get much more if he wants to be on a winning team.  The playoff teams have spent money already or have players in-house they need to pay.

• 1 month later...

I can see BB going through camp to see where Murphy stands.  If he isn't up to par,  then it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he would cut Murphy and sign Clowney to a one year deal close to Murphy's savings.  With the salaries of Cam and Jameis, I can see a team signing Clowney for less than $10 mil.

Only caveat is I don't think he'll be a FA past the first day of training camp.   He will sign somewhere by then, and it will be too late.