Clowney considering options including a "prove it" short term deal

5 hours ago, ngbills said:

Last season Seattle was 12-6 in a season Clowney dealt with injuries. In games he played 75% of the snaps they were 6-1 including 3 wins vs playoff teams. 

Remember when Matt Cassels Patriots went 11-5. Wins are the stupidest thing to use when assessing any players value(even QB) Football is a team game and takes much more then 1 player. Wins should only be used to judge coaches.

Edited by MrSarcasm

On 3/18/2020 at 11:00 AM, ngbills said:

Exactly. Bring him to BUF. I would think he sees this supporting cast and would think he could put up good numbers and play for a good defense setting him up for a big contract somewhere next year. 

So bring him in and dump him next year ?
Sound like McBeanes ?

2 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

So bring him in and dump him next year ?
Sound like McBeanes ?

It actually does. The team finally is at the point where they may lose more players to UFA than sign = comp pick. Clowney would be a nice comp pick

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/2/2020 at 8:35 PM, Turbo44 said:

It actually does. The team finally is at the point where they may lose more players to UFA than sign = comp pick. Clowney would be a nice comp pick

Thank you for the knowledge. did not know that  ☺️

5 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

Thank you for the knowledge. did not know that  ☺️

As for comp picks right now no one gets one for Clowney. So if he is dumb again next year there is no guarantee he delivers one. Also I think he might be waiting till after the worst of training camp to sign which to me is a bad signal.

On 6/2/2020 at 8:46 PM, ScottLaw said:

Yea but Process! Does Clowney get that? He’s lazy and wants money. 

Am I doing this right? 

32 teams must all have the same process because he hasn’t signed with anyone.

Am I doing this right?

13 hours ago, Beast said:

32 teams must all have the same process because he hasn’t signed with anyone.

Am I doing this right?

Does not mean they are not trying. He could be waiting things out to find the best landing spot. No reason for him to rush. 

12 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I'm wondering if teams are worried about where the cap will be next year. 

I wonder what percentage of the NFL's revenue is tied to ticket sales? I would imagine that the NFL's 4 primary sources of revenue are TV, Live Event money (ticket sales and other in stadium deals), sponsorships, and merchandise. I would imagine that most of the revenue that comes in is the TV deal which shouldn't be impacted too much short term. 

The sponsorships are also fairly stable due to most being on multi-year contracts and while I think merchandise will take a hit I don't think it will be massive. But what percentage is related to live events? 

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I wonder what percentage of the NFL's revenue is tied to ticket sales? I would imagine that the NFL's 4 primary sources of revenue are TV, Live Event money (ticket sales and other in stadium deals), sponsorships, and merchandise. I would imagine that most of the revenue that comes in is the TV deal which shouldn't be impacted too much short term. 

The sponsorships are also fairly stable due to most being on multi-year contracts and while I think merchandise will take a hit I don't think it will be massive. But what percentage is related to live events? 

I remember reading something that ticket sales reflect a teams profit margin while the TV revenue covers the costs. NFL owners push for stadium improvements because that is money they get to keep for themselves.

On 3/18/2020 at 10:00 AM, ngbills said:

Exactly. Bring him to BUF. I would think he sees this supporting cast and would think he could put up good numbers and play for a good defense setting him up for a big contract somewhere next year. 

I agree. Clowney and his disruptive style would give this defense a no doubt factor!

On 6/5/2020 at 4:36 PM, unbillievable said:

I remember reading something that ticket sales reflect a teams profit margin while the TV revenue covers the costs. NFL owners push for stadium improvements because that is money they get to keep for themselves.

NFL owners push ro stadium upgrades/new stadiums for the club seating/boxes. Ordinary ticket sale revenues are split evenly among the league, but the owners pocket their club seats/boxes revenues. That's one of the main reasons new stadiums are beneficial for owners, because they tend to have these options.

1 hour ago, wppete said:

Sign him already on a 1 year deal prove it deal. Brandon Beanes specialty, 1 year deals.

They probably will not because there is more resources tied up on the defensive line than any other position group on the team.  I would suspect Beane is done with the d-line for this year.

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Happy said:

They probably will not because there is more resources tied up on the defensive line than any other position group on the team.  I would suspect Beane is done with the d-line for this year.

Agreed.  But, they could  always let Murphy go, Smith and probably another couple guys without killing depth.  Roster seems to be in great shape.