Clowney considering options including a "prove it" short term deal

15 hours ago, njbuff said:

I think Star snaps are going to go way down and Murphy is maddeningly inconsistent.

I guess I still am in the minority with Star and Murphy. I feel both are solid , not game changers but good at what they do and fit the culture.

I don't think either will be here next year and this year can groom the young guys on the DL, Johnson , Epenesa , Oliver , Dirty Harry. 

Having great depth and cap room , we have the LUXURY of keeping two solid vets , that again, aren't going to make the flashy plays , but will do their job , their 1/11th and fill their role. 

I think we massively upgraded the DL overall.  Addison, QJeff and Butler >>>> Shaq/J Phillips. 

Also throw in Epenesa , a 1st Rd talent at DE, Johnson who should take a jump in year 2 and this is a super deep and talented DL and upgraded nicely imo. .

Murphy has been a bit inconsistent but finished the last 7-8 games playing pretty good football. I just don't think Clowney fits the culture and isn't necessary for this roster. We're set on the DL! I'm happy with the super productive, reliable and guy familiar with the scheme/HC in Addison. He's going to really surprise ppl with how good he is.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Let me tell you a story.  

When I was 11 years old, somehow both myself and parents got Halloween's date wrong.  We got to dress up for Halloween day....this year I was a week early.

So the entire day, I was dressed up in a Jim Kelly Bills uniform with a helmet while everyone else was dressed normally.  I was living in Minnesota.  I kinda got made fun of.

:blink:

17 hours ago, njbuff said:

And Darryl Johnson is stil in the picture at DE, along with Mike Love.

I recall seeing this.  Doesn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies.  These two are depth; not sure why McD thinks he's going to work wonders with them as he hasn't shown the ability to do so with the line.

19 minutes ago, Happy said:

I recall seeing this.  Doesn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies.  These two are depth; not sure why McD thinks he's going to work wonders with them as he hasn't shown the ability to do so with the line.

Love I might agree with you on, but Johnson was a rookie last year and played some snaps and was a STer, so there could be an upside there.

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Let me tell you a story.  

When I was 11 years old, somehow both myself and parents got Halloween's date wrong.  We got to dress up for Halloween day....this year I was a week early.

So the entire day, I was dressed up in a Jim Kelly Bills uniform with a helmet while everyone else was dressed normally.  I was living in Minnesota.  I kinda got made fun of.

I hear you still wear a helmet but now it is a hockey one. ??

Edited by Beast

Just now, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

This would be a very good place for Clowney on a one year deal. Great secondary, Hughes on the other side and DT's that need attention equal a very good season for Clowney.

I wouldn't put it past Beane to come up with an 11th hour deal with Clowney, but it's not very likely.

17 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Bad year and hes out. This is a huge year for him. I feel good about his chances though

Hmm. Define bad year.

Clowney on a one year prove it deal just makes too much sense. Hope he comes but won't hold my breath. 

Problem is after he puts in a 12+ sack season I'm not necessarily sure I want to pay him a boat load of money. It would have to be like a 16+ sack season. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

36 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not that I think Allen will be this years Trubisky, but the Bears are on the brink of “throwing away that kind of investment”. 

They are a model franchise, aren't they?

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

A "prove it" deal for Clowney is still likely to be somewhere around $15 M, probably.

Doesn't fit our circumstances.

At all.  Before the Bills went out and brought in who they did, and drafted AJ, you could have envisioned a scenario in which they signed Clowney...but not now.

11 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Unless Johnson found him a mentor during off season he will not improve on field and he will needed to improve on practice squad.   When he was playing he was off position and pushed around too much.  The off season conditioning would have helped him a lot as well as film study.  This off season will really hurt his chances. 

I mean I agree he needs to improve , as I said , should take a jump , but this is just not a fair statement imo. 

He only played 20% ish of the snaps , but he flashed potential , but neither of us know what he's doing during the off season this far. Yes it doesn't help any player that they can't use the world class training facility but how do we know Johnson doesn't have a personal trainer and is putting in some serious work? How do we know he isn't studying film as directed by his coaches?

We don't know so I just feel that's a bit unfair to make that assumption. 

Fortunately , with this depth , we don't necessarily need be him to have a role on this line , if he hasn't improved.

Addison,Hughes,Murphy ,Epenesa , Jefferson are all likely ahead of him. Just feel he's at least good potential depth in case of injuries 

9 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Not that I think Allen will be this years Trubisky, but the Bears are on the brink of “throwing away that kind of investment”. 

Turbitzky and the offense suffered from the Bears takeaways drying up last year. 2018 they lead the league in takeaways by a good margin. A non-sustainable stat from year to year typically. Luckily for the the Bills offense, the Bills defense was only above average in takeaways but nowhere near elite like Pittsburgh or New England last year. So in 2020 the Bills D could possibly have even more takeaways or worst case scenario they fall back from above average to average but it should be a small decline rather than a huge step back to the mean.

Admittedly Allens, bar is still pretty low too. He only has to improve upon an 85 QB rating type season (although I remember you don't care for QB rating stats) to continue showing progress. He doesn't have to be out of this world to put in a 88 or 90 rating type season. Hopefully he will do better but I'd be perfectly happy with any kind of improvement even if it is very small jump. 

Turbititzky and Mark Sanchez are probably the two best comps though if we are considering how things could go bad for Allen. 

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s really the same situation... they aren’t doubling down on Mitch and I wouldn’t expect the Bills to do the same with Josh if he has a rough year. They’d bring in legitimate competition or a legitimate starter. Either way, too early a discussion. Gotta let the year play out and he is certainly set up for a successful year. 

I think the difference is we have Fromm now ready to be groomed. Maybe we bring in a veteran with a lot of experience. But I could also see us just giving Fromm a legitimate shot if Allen takes a step backwards and they want a back up plan. 

For the Bears, I don't think it is a certainty that Foles starts of Turbitzky. Likely probably but Mitch should get his chance still in the pre-season. Assuming we have a pre-season.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Don't read in it more than I wrote - he will not improve on field because he will not be on the field for OTAs.

I do not know if he connected to one of the other veterans on team either OL or DL to help him work out and approve but I hope so.  Same for spending his own money on training.

I already assume he is using any materials supplied by coaching staff and attending any remote sessions.

Regarding Cloney, I think the Bills would have done a deep dive with Quinton Jefferson on his opinion of Cloney including how receptive he was to changing how he played, was he a good teammate, issues with coaches, etc.

I don't think missing OTAs is going to hurt him as much as you're saying though. It's his 2nd season , and he's in the same scheme, with the same coaches , so he should be fine.

Now Missing Training camp , I would agree.

Any young player will benefit from OTAs but they all missed the same amount. 

I'm sure they questioned QJeff about Clowney , but I'm sure they did a deep dive for a long time regarding his fit and I just don't think he is