Clowney considering options including a "prove it" short term deal

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Almost every deal we sign is basically a 1-2 year deal 

Because some fans think accumulating stats is what makes players good.  They think that if a players doesn’t have good stats, they aren’t any good. 

Yep but we don't pay overrated players 18 mil. Matter of fact we do the exact opposite, pay undervalued guys half that.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

Yep but we don't pay overrated players 18 mil. Matter of fact we do the exact opposite, pay undervalued guys half that.

For one year, it’s worth it to cut Trent Murphy and sign Clowney.  He’d be in the perfect spot to hit it big next year playing with this secondary and scheme.  

We’re in position to upgrade the most important facet of football.  The price is cutting Murphy and a few mill.  Meanwhile, not only are we getting Clowney, but if he played well and cashed in, it raises our status as a free agent destination.  

it’s a no brainer to me, but I understand why some wouldn’t want to add him.  

I only care about winning a SB and the door is open for us to walk right through. The league will be different in 2020.  Capitalize on this situation.  I hope we use the remaining cap room to help us achieve that goal and not just roll it over. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

My sources tell me that he will sign with Seattle 

Hey Mr Huff thank you for taking time out of your high level business meeting to let us know!

On 4/7/2020 at 9:32 AM, thenorthremembers said:

If you have enough cap space you dont.   But paying someone a one year deal definitely impacts your team the year after.   If the Bills pay someone 17 million for one year and get jack in output then they dont recoup the money, they lose what would be roll over cap for the next season.

On the Watkins point you're surmising Watkins' output in the playoffs and superbowl was a prime factor in them being champions?   I'd argue, even with his big AFC Championship performance, Kelce, Hill and Damien Williams were bigger factors in the Chiefs being champions.

If paying Clowney gets the Bills over the top for a championship I am all for it.   But I look at his history and he hasn't been able to do that for any other team he has played for and those teams had better quarterbacks to start with.

I think the idea would be to cut Murphy to both free up the D-line spot and ease the cap hit. Cutting Murphy saves about 8 million on the cap so if you cut Murphy and sign Clowney to a one year 13 million dollar deal you only lose 5 million in roll over. 

I would be all for giving Clowney a somewhat low ball one year offer, 12 million with 1.5 million in incentives. That's about a 13.5 million hit total but after you cut Murphy you are only looking at about a 5.5 million dollar difference. I think rolling the dice on losing 5.5 million in roll over money is worth the potentially massive upgrade you would get between Murphy and Clowney. I think Clowney's stat total last year was a bit misleading, he was a very disruptive player and having him on a one year deal might be the motivation he needs. 

I think going to far beyond the 13 million dollar range is stupid as yes you can't have a guy that isn't a sure fire talent eating away more than 4 or 5 million in roll over. 

• Like (+1) 2

There is just no way Bills are signing Clowney.  This prove it deal thing was out there before they signed 2 DE's and drafted one.

People can wish for it all they want, but the chances of this happening are almost nil.  It would have happened already as Beane doesn't fool around if he wants to bring someone here, but Beane clearly has moved on, if he even ever had any interest in the first place.

I think its pretty safe to say that everyone is most likely wasting their time here.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Honestly I’d cut Murphy, sign Taco Charlton, use the cap saving to sign Eric Reid. I think he would be the difference maker in the secondary that really unlocks the defense’s potential. 

I am missing the Taco love, well the Taco Charlton love.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think the only way the Bills were MAYBE going to add a significant veteran edge rusher was if they had missed out on drafting a good one altogether.

The moment AJ Epenesa was drafted, any dreams of Clowney went out the window. Hughes, Addison, and Epenesa will be the top three. Murphy MAY, in fact, be cut, but I believe the only way that happens is if Darryl Johnson Jr takes his job.

4 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

I am missing the Taco love, well the Taco Charlton love.  

To me it’s projection into a scheme. A very highly recruited big time prospect who put up big numbers in college and really hasn’t found a home in the NFL. It just didn’t click for him in Dallas and in Miami he was playing OLB in a somewhat complicated scheme. But he projects perfectly as the type of end McDermott covets and he has upside as a pass rusher that we don’t have much of on this roster. I guess he is built a bit like Daryl Johnson with more pedigree. To me it’s a very low risk, possibly big time reward play on a guy who is still only 25 and had five sacks in a part time role last year playing in just 10 games. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/18/2020 at 10:01 AM, ndirish1978 said:

I don't get this big perception that he is a worldbeater. Shaq had more sacks than he did last year. Why is the perception that this guy is worth double?

Because you can't measure the value of a DL by sacks alone.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

That is a lot of words used to say, "Cleveland has offered the most money and, for reasons unknown, Clowney has not accepted the offer."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Kind of odd to refuse Cleveland. Bookends of Clowney and Garrett would be downright terrifying. 

Not odd at all.  They've won 19 games in 5 years and are starting over with a brand new head coach.   He said before "I'm not looking to get on no sorry team for money."  Even with all the talent they have the Browns havent found a way to win consistently.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

Not odd at all.  They've won 19 games in 5 years and are starting over with a brand new head coach.   He said before "I'm not looking to get on no sorry team for money."  Even with all the talent they have the Browns havent found a way to win consistently.  

Fair assessment. It also may depend upon the term of the offer. If Cleveland is offering $16million for one year, it may be worthwhile for him to take the risk. If they are exclusively offering multi-year, he maybe uninterested in the length of term in being stuck on a franchise with such a history of calamity. There aren’t any indications of what the offer on the table is.