Clowney considering options including a "prove it" short term deal

6 hours ago, Virgil said:

The more time passes, the more signing him makes sense to me.  

If he really will take a 15 mil deal plus incentives, I see it as a win win for us with our current window.   

We have the money and if he can’t put the numbers up in this defense and in this division, he has no one to blame but himself. 

I see it as mutually beneficial  

"Virgil! Come on down! You're the next contestant on - The Price is Right!!" :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

They won the super bowl.  He played very well in the playoffs.  They won the super bowl.  Everyone has their opinion on the matter, the the fact is, the chiefs didn’t overpay for sammy.  They paid him for one reason.  To help them win a super bowl.  He did just that.  

It doesn’t matter that Kelce, hill and williams were bigger factors in winning a super bowl.  If the bills win the super bowl, there’s a good chance that some of our current defensive players would have a bigger impact than Clowney.  As long as he plays his 1/11 like McD asks.

I'm gonna hate asking this - because of who we're talking about - but are you suggesting the Chiefs don't win the SB w/o Sammy? And yes, he played very well in playoffs. 

While I'm not in the "must have" Clowney camp, I believe his impact would be greater to the Bills D than Sammy was for the Chiefs. No, no, no Sammy apologists, I'm not knocking him. Just an opinion.

5 hours ago, njbuff said:

There are several teams that fall into this category.

My question for the Bills is................

Does signing Clowney and cutting Murphy outweigh the option of just keeping Murphy and go with what you got? Interesting indeed.

It's all about the impact a player brings. That's what the mindset ought to be, imo. 

16 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

I'm gonna hate asking this - because of who we're talking about - but are you suggesting the Chiefs don't win the SB w/o Sammy? And yes, he played very well in playoffs. 

While I'm not in the "must have" Clowney camp, I believe his impact would be greater to the Bills D than Sammy was for the Chiefs. No, no, no Sammy apologists, I'm not knocking him. Just an opinion.

It's all about the impact a player brings. That's what the mindset ought to be, imo. 

Are you suggesting that there’s actually a way to know this or find this out?  I don’t play pretend or what if.  They had sammy. They won the super bowl.  There is no “would they have won with out him?”  It doesn’t exist.  

32 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Are you suggesting that there’s actually a way to know this or find this out?  I don’t play pretend or what if.  They had sammy. They won the super bowl.  There is no “would they have won with out him?”  It doesn’t exist.  

I hear you. Poor approach on my part.

I was working the impact angle.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

If you have enough cap space you dont.   But paying someone a one year deal definitely impacts your team the year after.   If the Bills pay someone 17 million for one year and get jack in output then they dont recoup the money, they lose what would be roll over cap for the next season.

Anytime you over pay agents wet their lips and say my client (my pocketbook commission) needs to be overpaid.

You bend over to agents then you end up treating you are easy and you get what happened before - a player who had no obligation (Jason Peters) had extension negotiated and then agent recommended he hold out for more and same agent held Bills hostage.  Others agents saw that and acted accordingly.   

On 4/6/2020 at 12:08 PM, NewEra said:

If the browns sign Clowney, sure. Not sure why we wouldn’t just sign Clowney ourselves, instead of signing the guy that the browns wanted to replace with Clowney. 

I never understood the Vernon love tbh, but he’d be a nice rotational guy.  I think Jerry and Addison are better pass rushers, but I’m all for spending any additional money on pass rush or OL upgrades

Vernon is a beast when healthy.  But he just hasn’t been healthy enough.  He’s a guy who would be important to do a medical check on.  Of course, Clowney’s is another player where a medical evaluation is important.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/7/2020 at 10:39 AM, Virgil said:

The more time passes, the more signing him makes sense to me.  

If he really will take a 15 mil deal plus incentives, I see it as a win win for us with our current window.   

We have the money and if he can’t put the numbers up in this defense and in this division, he has no one to blame but himself. 

I see it as mutually beneficial  

With our secondary and DT’s I could see Clowney having at least a 10 sack season. With the way our defense is built right now I am projecting our DE’s to have huge years in the sack department. 

Serious question, what position would he play for Buffalo? The team is already at least 9 deep on the defensive line or is OLB a consideration ? 

Additionally, last I read the team has just below $21 million remaining on their salary cap (that was before the draft).  Unless my information isn’t accurate, or he takes a salary below $10 mil, I’m not seeing how he gets paid for. Any addition insight here ?

Edited by BillsNutHawaii
Key Word left out

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Seahawks already gave his # to someone else so not sure how interested they are still 

Could be a negotiation tactic. “ We don’t need you, but we’d love to have you if you come to your senses”.

2 minutes ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

Serious question, what position would he play for Buffalo? The team is already at least 9 deep on the defensive line or is OLB a consideration ? 

Additionally, last I read the team has just below $21 million remaining on their salary (that was before the draft).  Unless my information isn’t accurate, or he takes a salary below $10 mil, I’m not seeing how he gets paid for. Any addition insight here ?

DE. Murphy cut. Addison, Hughes, Epenesa, Jefferson, Clowney and maybe Johnson (youth on his side plus ST play) at DE would be more than nice.

39 minutes ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

Additionally, last I read the team has just below $21 million remaining on their salary cap (that was before the draft).  Unless my information isn’t accurate, or he takes a salary below $10 mil, I’m not seeing how he gets paid for. Any addition insight here ?

Clowney would be a DE.  Theoretically the Bills would cut Murphy to make the room.

Seems highly unlikely at this point however.  The Bills already have a large percentage of cost invested in the DL and just put draft capital into the position. 

But for me, the idea of adding an elite player like Clowney to this D is just so appealing.  I know his stats weren't there, but from what I saw he passes the eye test with flying colors.  He would add a dimension of speeding up the time clock for apposing QBs that is so valuable.  He just fits what our defense could use.

• Like (+1) 1

One year deal for Clowney would put the front 7 over the top and not hurt the team long term.

Make it happen and make a deep playoff run.

Interesting that Beane or McD spoke about Epenesa moving down to DT in passing situations. That will allow them to carry one less DT and an additional DE on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

One year deal for Clowney would put the front 7 over the top and not hurt the team long term.

Make it happen and make a deep playoff run.

Interesting that Beane or McD spoke about Epenesa moving down to DT in passing situations. That will allow them to carry one less DT and an additional DE on the roster.

I wouldn't touch Clowney. Signing him to a one year deal feels very Brownsish. He will have another Seahawk type year of 3 Sacks.

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 10:01 AM, ndirish1978 said:

I don't get this big perception that he is a worldbeater. Shaq had more sacks than he did last year. Why is the perception that this guy is worth double?

Because fans heard of him and his name is Jadeveon Clowney. 

• Haha (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

I wouldn't touch Clowney. Signing him to a one year deal feels very Brownsish. He will have another Seahawk type year of 3 Sacks.

Almost every deal we sign is basically a 1-2 year deal 

Just now, Bob in STL said:

Because fans heard of him and his name is Jadeveon Clowney. 

Because some fans think accumulating stats is what makes players good.  They think that if a players doesn’t have good stats, they aren’t any good. 

• Like (+1) 4