Clowney considering options including a "prove it" short term deal

Just now, GunnerBill said:

You can roll any unspent subject to you meeting the cap floor over a rolling 3 year period. So in any 3 consecutive seasons you must have hit I think it is 89% spend.

Thanks!

So the debate is a simple one. Spend some major money on Clowney in 2020 or save that  same money to resign your own core players in 2021. 

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t want to really win the SB this year.  But let’s really go for it in 5 years when we have tons of cap space!!! Stupid KC.  Look at their lack of cap space.  I bet they totally regret all those contracts now!!!

and I don’t want to pay JC that much.  So overrated.  We already have enough “pass rushers” who don’t get sacks.  I’d rather have Shaq at 10 than JC at $18 (and Murphy at $0 ?).

LOL you really think we’re going to the super bowl this year? This team is still young and it’s probably gonna take another year before we can say we’re Super Bowl bound. We need to win the playoffs first before thinking about a superbowl

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

LOL you really think we’re going to the super bowl this year? This team is still young and it’s probably gonna take another year before we can say we’re Super Bowl bound. We need to win the playoffs first before thinking about a superbowl

I get what you’re saying but you have to think SB right now, even if it sounds crazy.  I’d say it’s 50-50 that Allen gets that big deal but if he does, everything changes.  This is the window to go all in, which I think they have done a pretty good job with.  But for all this talk about being salary cap “wizards,” Basically they had a bunch of cheap young guys who hadn’t gotta paid yet.  When Tre and possibly Allen get their money, there goes the salary cap.  

10 hours ago, Augie said:

I’ll let the market set itself there. In my mind he’s just a rich man’s Shaq. Time will tell. Certainly not what Clowney expected. He got so hyped in college he lost sight of reality. I’m in for a fair deal. 

What would be a fair deal?

14 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I get what you’re saying but you have to think SB right now, even if it sounds crazy.  I’d say it’s 50-50 that Allen gets that big deal but if he does, everything changes.  This is the window to go all in, which I think they have done a pretty good job with.  But for all this talk about being salary cap “wizards,” Basically they had a bunch of cheap young guys who hadn’t gotta paid yet.  When Tre and possibly Allen get their money, there goes the salary cap.  

I agree. The minimum acceptable this year is win the division and win a playoff game. Anything short of that is failure. To really succeed they need to be contenting for the Superbowl and that means making the AFCCG and not getting blown out in it. Fro me they can do the former with the edge guys they have. To do that latter I think that is the unit that still needs more.

38 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

sorry @DC Tom

YOU’RE AN IDIOT.

nothing else to say to you 

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I really have a hard time understanding why people would be against giving a player like Clowney a short term deal? It really makes 0 sense to be against it.

See my above post.  That answers your question

27 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I agree with you and look I hope for the best and that we do make a run but right now as it stands it’s highly unlikely we’re making a SB run this year. But you never know stranger things have happened. 

8 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

There are several teams who could upgrade the pass rush, plenty who did in a variety of other ways outside of Clowney. The dude is massivley overrated, more hype than production.

is he overrated?  Yeah, he’s probably overrated. Is he a very good football player that can dominate the LOS from play to play and do things none of our current DEs can do?  Yeah, he is.  Will he improve our team in many ways?  Yeah, he would.  Is there any free agent that we can add that would improve our team more than he would?  Not in my opinion.

Improve our team in 2020 while having no negative impact on next years salary cap OR not improve our team for 2020 and have a similar cap next year.  

#itsnotrocketscience

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

is he overrated?  Yeah, he’s probably overrated. Is he a very good football player that can dominate the LOS from play to play and do things none of our current DEs can do?  Yeah, he is.  Will he improve our team in many ways?  Yeah, he would.  Is there any free agent that we can add that would improve our team more than he would?  Not in my opinion.

Improve our team in 2020 while having no negative impact on next years salary cap OR not improve our team for 2020 and have a similar cap next year.  

#itsnotrocketscience

How about Olivier Vernon? If the browns sign Clowney they’re going to release Vernon. I’d say take a shot on him he’s technically the same age as Clowney

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

How about Olivier Vernon? If the browns sign Clowney they’re going to release Vernon. I’d say take a shot on him he’s technically the same age as Clowney

If the browns sign Clowney, sure. Not sure why we wouldn’t just sign Clowney ourselves, instead of signing the guy that the browns wanted to replace with Clowney. 

I never understood the Vernon love tbh, but he’d be a nice rotational guy.  I think Jerry and Addison are better pass rushers, but I’m all for spending any additional money on pass rush or OL upgrades

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If the browns sign Clowney, sure. Not sure why we wouldn’t just sign Clowney ourselves, instead of signing the guy that the browns wanted to replace with Clowney. 

I never understood the Vernon love tbh, but he’d be a nice rotational guy.  I think Jerry and Addison are better pass rushers, but I’m all for spending any additional money on pass rush or OL upgrades

It all comes down to money. Remember these guys are experts. If Beane doesn’t feel Clowney is worth what he wants then he’s not going to sign him. Don’t get me wrong he’s a good player but can be very inconsistent at times and sometimes downright disappears in games. I’ve never been a Clowney fan and thought he was completely overhyped coming out of college

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

25 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

It all comes down to money. Remember these guys are experts. If Beane doesn’t feel Clowney is worth what he wants then he’s not going to sign him. Don’t get me wrong he’s a good player but can be very inconsistent at times and sometimes downright disappears in games. I’ve never been a Clowney fan and thought he was completely overhyped coming out of college

Exactly and so far it's just not Beane.  All 32 GMs have had an opportunity to sign him.  It seems to me that Clowney and his agent have

overplayed their hand.  I'm sure many teams contacted them with reasonable offers and they accepted none of them.  Now teams cap

dollars are drying up and I'm sure they are regretting it.  IF they go low enough maybe someone will bite (even Beane).

I'm shedding no tears for Clowney's situation.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

#itsnotrocketscience

Is rarely healthy, inflated numbers in blowout games with the Texans (to the tune of a quarter of his production in 2018), all while having one of the most disruptive players in the league across from him, was traded for a bag of peanuts, and the team that obtained him... yet to resign him. That's two organizations, TO DATE, that have seen him up close and moved on. Maybe the Seahawks circle back, maybe a team like the Browns meet his demands.

Would be a waste of money.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

There are many people on here that no way more than I’ll ever know about how all of this works but I’d be shocked if the Bills haven’t offered Clowney some pretty sizable money and then would cut Trent Murphy. What’s the downside? What’s the $ delta? Don’t they still have plenty of cap space? Seems like a no brainer and the Bills (a contender) would seem to be the ideal fit.

The no brainer is Bills (with brains) value Trent Murphy more than you do which you have shown with multiple posts.

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

The no brainer is Bills (with brains) value Trent Murphy more than you do which you have shown with multiple posts.

I think you meant to say brains infected with covid value Murphy. Maybe we can pull Kelsay out of retirement while we're at it.....

On 3/18/2020 at 10:58 AM, TroutDog said:

He is a very good D lineman but with no big sack numbers he’s not going to get the number he’s looking for in my opinion. 

Thats why its a prove it deal- he may be had in the 7-10 mil range. I think it will be tough seeing we need an upgrade at the 2 QB spot. There is plenty of options out there plus we have to leave room for draft picks and retaining our own.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Unless he is willing to take a 2 year 12 million a year type contract I do not want him. I know that we will have to spend a lot to keep our own in the next 3 years and to replace Hughes and others. I do not think he brings value for more than that I am happy we have a GM who thinks the same 

• Like (+1) 1