Clowney considering options including a "prove it" short term deal

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Vet minimum? No way. He will take a below his market value deal.... but he wouldn't play for vet minimum.

At this point he might not have a choice. It seems like his market is dying down every day. I’m sure he probably wishes he would’ve shut up and taken what Miami offered him. Cause the other teams

offers from what I’ve heard haven’t been able to match up to Miami’s first offer. Again he overvalued himself and now he’s starting to see the harsh reality of doing that

There are many people on here that no way more than I’ll ever know about how all of this works but I’d be shocked if the Bills haven’t offered Clowney some pretty sizable money and then would cut Trent Murphy. What’s the downside? What’s the $ delta? Don’t they still have plenty of cap space? Seems like a no brainer and the Bills (a contender) would seem to be the ideal fit.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Vet minimum dude? WTF?

Call me crazy but it seems that’s the direction he’s heading plus on top of the fact that he got his bell rung last year in the playoffs and has a injury history. If I’m Buffalo I’m not offering him anymore than a 2 year 13 million deal

Just now, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Call me crazy but it seems that’s the direction he’s heading plus on top of the fact that he got his bell rung last year in the playoffs and has a injury history. If I’m Buffalo I’m not offering him anymore than a 2 year 13 million deal

You wouldn’t offer him more than Trent Murphy’s contract?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You wouldn’t offer him more than Trent Murphy’s contract?

No I wouldn’t. To me Clowney has an on and off switch. While he a good player he had the Benifits of playing on some real talented Houston Defenses. He was ok with Seattle but notice how Seattle is not chasing him to bring him back, I remember when this guy was being deemed a draft bust after 2 years into the NFL. At the end of it he just strikes me as the type of Player that after you pay him what he wants he’ll most likely not show up and will regress. 

Edited by BuffaloBills1998
  • Like (+1) 1

Would love to see a 1 year prove it deal around $16 million. The DE room would be solid.

DE - Jerry Hughes - Mario Addison

DT - Ed Oliver - Harrison Philips - Quinton Jefferson

DT - Star L. - Vernon Butler

DE - Jadeveon Clowney - Trent Murphy

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, wppete said:

Would love to see a 1 year prove it deal around $16 million. The DE room would be solid.

DE - Jerry Hughes - Mario Addison

DT - Ed Oliver - Harrison Philips - Quinton Jefferson

DT - Star L. - Vernon Butler

DE - Jadeveon Clowney - Trent Murphy

2 years, that would be stupid to sign him for 1 year 16 million, especially if he goes right back into free agency the next year in 21. Might as well keep Murphy, plus we have some upcoming free agents that need contract extensions, the biggest one is White

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

26 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

2 years, that would be stupid to sign him for 1 year 16 million, especially if he goes right back into free agency the next year in 21. Might as well keep Murphy, plus we have some upcoming free agents that need contract extensions, the biggest one is White

Stupid?  To add one of the better DEs in the league on a one year deal that won’t affect our salary cap going forward......

might as well keep a Murphy, a player that isn’t nearly as good......

you say it’s dumb to sign a one year contract....then allude to the fact that we have upcoming free agents to sign.....

• Like (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

At this point he might not have a choice. It seems like his market is dying down every day. I’m sure he probably wishes he would’ve shut up and taken what Miami offered him. Cause the other teams

offers from what I’ve heard haven’t been able to match up to Miami’s first offer. Again he overvalued himself and now he’s starting to see the harsh reality of doing that

There is still a loooooong way from there and vet minimum. I agree he will end up taking less than Miami offered. But vet minimum for Clowney (player between 1 and 7 years) is $675,000 a year. If you think that is the best offer he is getting you are mad. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Stupid?  To add one of the better DEs in the league on a one year deal that won’t affect our salary cap going forward......

you say it’s dumb to sign a one year contract....then allude to the fact that we have upcoming free agents to sign.....

Completely agree. Some people don't get the fact that McBeane is going all in this year for the Super Bowl. This is the opportunity.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We do and I’d rather not waste 16 million on a 1 year rental

12 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Mr Pegula? Is that you? Hows it a waste if you have no other 2020 free agents in the wings? You can’t rollover cap space year to year.

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Mr Pegula? Is that you? Hows it a waste if you have no other 2020 free agents in the wings? You can’t rollover cap space year to year.

Err, yes you can. I mean it wouldn't stop me trying to sign Clowney on a 1 year deal because I really do not like our edge situation as it stands. But you can roll unused cap over. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I think you are able to do this

18 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

So you’d rather spend 16 mill on a multi year deal and make it impossible to resign our own free agents next year?

The guys we might be looking to extend are Tre, Dawkins and milano.  Say we spend that 16 mill a year on them.....how much better does that make us in 2020?  It doesn’t.

Adding a player on a 1 year deal makes the team better for 2020 AND still allows us to resign everyone we want going forward. 

signing a different player on a 2 year 16 mill a year contract makes it so we won’t be able to sign all of the guys we want.  

it’s really not rocket science. 

Bills with Clowney >>>>>>> Bills without Clowney.  

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

it doesn’t matter much cause Clowney is talking with Cleveland and they are apparently offering him a really good deal. I’m not a Clowney fan I think we could find better in the draft

just wondering who you think will be better?

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

it doesn’t matter much cause Clowney is talking with Cleveland and they are apparently offering him a really good deal. I’m not a Clowney fan I think we could find better in the draft

Clowney is fantastic. If Cleveland get him then he and Garrett is downright nasty. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Err, yes you can. I mean it wouldn't stop me trying to sign Clowney on a 1 year deal because I really do not like our edge situation as it stands. But you can roll unused cap over. 

Gunner....honest question...can you roll over all of it? Or just some of it?

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

We have to maintain our status as salary cap champs next offseason. Signing Clowney would seriously jeopardize that.  

I don’t want to really win the SB this year.  But let’s really go for it in 5 years when we have tons of cap space!!! Stupid KC.  Look at their lack of cap space.  I bet they totally regret all those contracts now!!!

and I don’t want to pay JC that much.  So overrated.  We already have enough “pass rushers” who don’t get sacks.  I’d rather have Shaq at 10 than JC at $18 (and Murphy at $0 ?).

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Gunner....honest question...can you roll over all of it? Or just some of it?

You can roll any unspent subject to you meeting the cap floor over a rolling 3 year period. So in any 3 consecutive seasons you must have hit I think it is 89% spend.