Clowney considering options including a "prove it" short term deal

2 hours ago, BillsGuru4 said:

Clowney is a physical specimen/athletic freak. That being said, he is no Mario Williams and light years from Bruce. I would still celebrate if we signed him to a decently team friendly deal. We must be able to retain Milano and Tre, and it would be nice to extend Dawkins as well. 

I have always viewed him as a much better version of Shaq. That’s probably a totally unfair comparison. Just sort of good at being stout and more of a strength guy than a speed rusher. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Not going to happen unless Beane makes some cuts to do it, which I don't see happening. He's asking for 20 mil. And even if he comes down, we only have about 22.5 left atm.

Murphy would either be cut or traded saving $8m against them cap.  Not saying it’s gonna happen, but there’s enough cap room there.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

Mario was on Bruce Smith's level in terms of pure talent. Clowney I am not so sure about.

Mario was not even in the same universe as Bruce. Mario was a 1 trick pony that lacked motivation and took plays off. Mario was all size and strength, Bruce had all of that and finesse. His edge rush re-wrote and defined the position for the next generation. Mario had a Bull rush, and if he couldn't overpower you he surrendered. I cant even fathom that someone would think he was as talented as Bruce... he was "A Bad Man" !!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, loyal2dagame said:

I'm on board with that,  but it's not gonna get it done

If he wants to sign with a contender that has enough talent around him to take advantage of a 1 year prove it deal he should. He has to realize teams on the brink of serious contention rarely have that kind of cap equity. The Bills are an exception right now. 

I wonder if his market is hurt because teams can't conduct a physical right now. It might be a few months before a team is willing to commit to him. So yeah I see him signing another 1 year prove it deal. I would love the Bills to somehow get him, even just for this year, and immediately be championship contenders.

17 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

people have been down this road plenty of times no need to discuss further, he's a three time All Pro and obviously has a big impact if you watch.

The league seems to disagree... hence why he hasn’t signed a contract yet.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Mario wasn't Bruce, but he was pretty damn good for 2 of his 4 years here and excellent in his 3rd year here.... I still don't understand how fans think he wasn't that good.

Well, I'm not saying he wasn't good but comparing him to one of the 2 or 3 greatest of all time is a huge stretch.

His edge rush, his spin move, his quickness off the ball, his pursuit from behind, his longevity, I mean....

Mario had none of that. I mean on what planet is Mario even remotely as talented.

And for the record I was a Mario fan until his last season, but to compare him to Bruuuuuuuuce?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, babulator said:

Well, I'm not saying he wasn't good but comparing him to one of the 2 or 3 greatest of all time is a huge stretch.

His edge rush, his spin move, his quickness off the ball, his pursuit from behind, his longevity, I mean....

Mario had none of that. I mean on what planet is Mario even remotely as talented.

And for the record I was a Mario fan until his last season, but to compare him to Bruuuuuuuuce?

Mario was a Bill for his 7th-10th NFL seasons.

A simple apples-to-apples comparison of the 2 players’ 7th-10th NFL seasons is eye-opening to say the least:

http://pfref.com/tiny/03fWq

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, babulator said:

So similiar amount of sacks with Bruce having 2.3+ times the amount of tackles.

That sounds about right 2 to 3 times as good :P

Twice as many forced fumbles and 12 fewer games played because Bruce missed almost all of 1991.

It is eye opening. Bruce's overall impact on the game compared to Mario Williams isn't even close. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I wonder if his market is hurt because teams can't conduct a physical right now. It might be a few months before a team is willing to commit to him. So yeah I see him signing another 1 year prove it deal. I would love the Bills to somehow get him, even just for this year, and immediately be championship contenders.

That has to be a big reason why. He is talented, but the injuries are a concern.

If Clowney is willing to go with a one year deal, then I would hope that the Bills would be talking to him.

46 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Mario wasn't Bruce, but he was pretty damn good for 2 of his 4 years here and excellent in his 3rd year here.... I still don't understand how fans think he wasn't that good.

Mario's last year with the Bills is the primary reason why so many fans are down on him.

He mailed it in that year. Weather that was because of Wrecks or he just didn't care anymore, I don't know.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2020 at 11:44 AM, thebandit27 said:

A simple apples-to-apples comparison of the 2 players’ 7th-10th NFL seasons is eye-opening to say the least:

http://pfref.com/tiny/03fWq

It certainly is.    Bruce was a complete player...Mario, not so much.

Tackles   Fumbles Def Interceptions
Rk Player From To AV G Solo Ast QBHits TFL Sk FF FR Yds TD Int Yds TD
1 Bruce Smith* 1991 1994 48 51 272 24     39.5 11 3 0 0 2 0 0
2 Mario Williams 2012 2015 45 63 116 29 60 53 43.0 5 2 0 0 0 0 0