Pats are gonna tank and bottom out

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Until we actually beat them I'll believe it when I see it. Beating them on paper means nothing. Brady wasn't the same last season and we still lost to them twice.

Patsies D> Bills offense

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I can't tell you who told me this but the Pats are currently in negotiations with the Bengals for the #1 overall pick....almost a done deal.

3 first rounders, a second this year and next years 3rd.  

Belicheck loves Burrow.....

It would surprise me if they pulled a Ditka in this draft but Burrow would definitely keep them at the top of the NFL if they could pull it off & i wouldn't put anything past BB !! 

40 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I can't tell you who told me this but the Pats are currently in negotiations with the Bengals for the #1 overall pick....almost a done deal.

Don't see that happening, but also don't see Borrow as the Second coming so if it did I wouldn't be overly concerned.  Then they'd have no draft picks for a while, limited cap space and a rookie QB.  

1 minute ago, Reed83HOF said:

duh - that was in regards to them beating us twice last year

Fair enough. I guess the "greater than" symbol doesn't have a past tense signifier.

49 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think they already traded this years second for Sanu but otherwise this is very believable!

52 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

They have signed no one and I am not expecting them to do much.

Bellicheck is setting himself up to prove he is the genius for the run on not TB. All of this makes sense of course, but I am hoping that the absence of TB drives FAs away from them and they will need to build through the draft, which they haven't been awesome at...

If the Cheaters tank this year, it destroys Belichick's claim to be the reason behind their success.  OTOH they need a high draft pick to get a shot at a good QB and relying on hitting on later-round QBs isn't a sound strategy. 

38 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They are somehow going to win 10+ games.  

I'll bet they don't.

43 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Not sure if this is trolling, but the Cheaters don't have a 2nd rounder this year and the Bengals aren't moving down from 1st overall to 23rd no matter how many 1st rounders they get.

Even if they wanted to tank, they had the #1 defense in NFL last year. That defense won’t allow them to win only a game or two. And neither will belichick’s coaching. 

From a patriots beat writer on the Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/1683325/2020/03/17/tom-brady-bucs-patriots-free-agency/

1. No special treatment for Brady in New England

The Patriots portrayed Brady’s departure as the quarterback deciding to continue his career elsewhere. Left unsaid were all the factors that facilitated Brady’s exit. The Patriots in recent years had scaled back Brady’s contract guarantees and even waived their right to use the franchise tag. That concession made Tuesday’s outcome easier for the team.

“It was a PR out for the team because they knew they were only going to do the deal on their terms,” an exec said. “So let him have the free agency option. If he wins the Super Bowl, we are going to do a deal with him. If he is not the player we think he is, we are not going to do a deal with him. He outplayed the game when he had Jimmy Garoppolo breathing down his neck. Otherwise, he might have been traded to San Francisco then.”

In the end, the Patriots treated Brady the same way they have treated so many other top players in the past. There was no special consideration

Nothing personal. Just the way the Patriots have done business all along.

“The Patriots think they have done an amazing job creating a situation for Brady to be successful,” another exec said. “Bill Belichick was very gracious in his statements. I’m sure they really do appreciate what Brady has done, but their approach is that it’s always about the coaching. They feel like they are responsible for all those guys having success.”

I believe this to b the case and I think Belichick will want to prove that. I actually think he will want to prove that he can win with another QB who’s not a top pick in the draft (Stidham maybe). 

No way he tanks though. He’s too consumed by winning, and he won’t want people thinking Brady was the reason for the dynasty.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Whatever the Pats decide to do, I don't think it will be to tank.  Their defense, even with the losses, will be tough, and until I see them struggle with my own two eyes, i'll still believe Belichek is some kind of mystic wizard.

THIS!!! I know we all want to see them crumble...but THIS!!! When I see it, I will believe it!

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

If the Cheaters tank this year, it destroys Belichick's claim to be the reason behind their success.  OTOH they need a high draft pick to get a shot at a good QB and relying on hitting on later-round QBs isn't a sound strategy.

Bellicheck wants to show it was him and not TB that created the legacy and wins, best way to do that is build it up again. He will sacrifice 1 year to do this IMO

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

They have signed no one and I am not expecting them to do much.

Bellicheck is setting himself up to prove he is the genius for the run on not TB. All of this makes sense of course, but I am hoping that the absence of TB drives FAs away from them and they will need to build through the draft, which they haven't been awesome at...

Belichick is interested in Super Bowls. I think he is also interested in getting a 7th without TB. He also knows he has a window of time that Brady doesn't. They aren't going to tank per se, but they may need to take a year to reload.

If BB is healthy, he may have 5-7 more years at the helm - it is not like this guy has a lot of other interests outside of football. He would probably also like to groom his son to succeed him or become the full-fledged DC.

He had to look at TB's performance and see that giving him 30M per based on past performance might get the team back in the playoffs but was not going to get them past the Chiefs or help them long term.

Now he gets to build for the future and play Stidham or perhaps draft another prospect ... I could also see the Pats trading to get Jacoby Brissett back from Indy. If they go 9-7/10-6 you can already hear the media saying, "this is one of the best coaching job's Belichick's ever done" - he gets off on trying to win games with a bunch of spare parts.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Whatever the Pats decide to do, I don't think it will be to tank.  Their defense, even with the losses, will be tough, and until I see them struggle with my own two eyes, i'll still believe Belichek is some kind of mystic wizard.

Those of us who know Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings know even Wizards die. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, papazoid said:

i highly doubt BB tanks

NE record without TB is still pretty good

would not be surprised if NE drafts a QB with first round pick....just not #1 overall....that would be a bigger shock than TB leaving.

I just don’t see it. I think people really are downplaying what Brady and Belichick accomplished together. Belichick isn’t a great college talent evaluator. He is average at best. 
The way the Pats won last year isn’t sustainable. Look for them to fall off the cliff. Bill might stick around, or he may move on and pull a Phil Jackson. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He could trade with the Redskins for two first rounders and a second this year and end up with Tua.

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

Bellicheck wants to show it was him and not TB that created the legacy and wins, best way to do that is build it up again. He will sacrifice 1 year to do this IMO

So he shows that by going 0-17 or 1-16 so he can get a (supposed) generational talent at QB?  That would be the opposite of showing people that he can do it with any QB.