Bill O’Brien/Deandre Hopkins story - FAs reportedly being warned by former Texans to stay away

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I truly don’t think I could play for Gase or deal with their team doctors 

True but there will be a mutiny in Texas.  You don’t talk to a man like that especially one who’s overcome as much as Hopkins has in his life.  O’Brien is a dead coach walking.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Doesn’t deny it though 

I mean, I think BOB is a complete idiot who shoulda been fired long ago, but there is a way that this could have been a relatively normal/not completely batshit crazy convo. The AH comment could have literally been how it was presented- "last time I had this kind of chat was with AH" stupid, but not certainly comparing him to AH. As for the baby mammas, It's a commonly used term and if DH had women coming around the facility that were causing problems it would make sense to address- though the use of the term in that context was again probably unwise.

Not saying this is how it happened, but Hopkins being willing to play it down says a lot, I also wouldn't be shocked to see Irvin take something to a higher level than necessary.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Doesn’t deny it though 

Sounds to me like BOB just asked Hopkins to keep his baby mamas from stopping by at work. Keep your personal and professional lifes seperate and Michael Irvin twisted the words.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I am wondering where he is getting the Aaron Hernandez comparison. Not to defend O’Brien— who sounds like the absolute worst— but Hopkins always struck me as a real stand-up guy off the field; is that not true? 

This has been my perception of Hopkins as well.

To me, O'Brien seems like the last of a dying breed of those type of hard-nosed coaches that do the "my way or the highway" BS, and that stuff just doesn't fly in today's NFL. I'm not sure what some coaches don't understand about that. If you go out there and don't bother to find ways to best connect with your players, then your players are gonna tune you out pretty quick. People can bang on culture all they want but that's something I really appreciate about McDermott. He takes the time to find the best ways to reach his players. That shows that he truly cares, from the practice squad guys all the way up to the ones, he makes everyone feel respected and important. O'Brien probably just makes you wanna slap the butthole right off his chin.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Honestly, he probably just meant that at a previous time he had to sit down and have a meeting with AH about keeping his act together... I doubt he intended it to mean “you’re a homicidal maniac” but the stunning lack of awareness, management capacity, and overall human relationship skills that it takes for someone to do that is next level.... how the hell did this guy get a job, keep the job, and get more and more power within the job? Amazing to me. 

At the trade deadline BOB is gonna trade Watson to NE then when he gets fired at the end of the year he’ll have a job waiting for him!

Yes but when you open the meeting invoking AH? What are you supposed to take from that?

Edited by PromoTheRobot