Projected 55* & Roster Discussion (Draft)

48 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Lee Smith is as good as gone. Tough to carry 4 TE’s and 6 WR’s. Too much talent for him to stick and Duke will win out over Lee Smith all day as he can play a hybrid role in a pinch or be the big bodied receiver we need. 

Josh Norman is a corner. Say goodbye to Jaquan Johnson. 

Our punter was erratic last season- the Bills will bring in 2 legs to compete for the starting job. 

Yeldon was in the doghouse last year. Expect the Bills to draft a pounding back or grab one via FA. See ya Yeldon.

8 LB’s on the 53? Hmmmmm 

If you remove dimarco and consider the new guy core special teams it doesn't make a huge difference.

54 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

8 LB’s on the 53? Hmmmmm

It's 55 now. And I'm only working with what we have under contract, so if it isn't 8 LBs it's 7-8 WRs (Easley and McCloud), 5-6 TEs (Sweeney and Becker), 5 OT (Salako), 6 DT (Taylor), 5-6 DE (Love and Woodard), or 2 Punters (Vedvik). Tell me you want the 2nd punter :lol:

Maybe Phillips drops for Sweeney, but everyone else is replacement level.

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

Lee Smith is as good as gone. Tough to carry 4 TE’s and 6 WR’s. Too much talent for him to stick and Duke will win out over Lee Smith all day as he can play a hybrid role in a pinch or be the big bodied receiver we need. 

Josh Norman is a corner. Say goodbye to Jaquan Johnson. 

Our punter was erratic last season- the Bills will bring in 2 legs to compete for the starting job. 

Yeldon was in the doghouse last year. Expect the Bills to draft a pounding back or grab one via FA. See ya Yeldon.

8 LB’s on the 53? Hmmmmm 

Hybrid role? Do you mean Duke could come in and play the blocking TE role? Lee and Sweeney are way better at that. Or did you mean a pass catching TE? Those spots are taken by better players. Knox, Kroft and even Croom would win that battle. He had enough trouble making the team at WR. With a group that was above average to good. Before FA officially starts and the draft, Duke is clinging to a roster spot. If we sign another vet WR and/or if someone like Claypool falls in our lap, Duke will be in trouble. At WR, let alone a hybrid role. Again, not sure what you meant by hybrid role though.

9 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Hybrid role? Do you mean Duke could come in and play the blocking TE role? Lee and Sweeney are way better at that. Or did you mean a pass catching TE? Those spots are taken by better players. Knox, Kroft and even Croom would win that battle. He had enough trouble making the team at WR. With a group that was above average to good. Before FA officially starts and the draft, Duke is clinging to a roster spot. If we sign another vet WR and/or if someone like Claypool falls in our lap, Duke will be in trouble. At WR, let alone a hybrid role. Again, not sure what you meant by hybrid role though.

I do mean that- Duke can run block and his lack of bonehead plays trumps Smiths. The guy can block and that is about it. We wont carry 4 TE’s and there is better talent than Smith. I think Duke isn’t as bad off as some believe. Hybrid meaning- You can lone Duke up opposite another TE in a basic 2 TE set and still run the ball or get into a seam route.

54 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

It's 55 now. And I'm only working with what we have under contract, so if it isn't 8 LBs it's 7-8 WRs (Easley and McCloud), 5-6 TEs (Sweeney and Becker), 5 OT (Salako), 6 DT (Taylor), 5-6 DE (Love and Woodard), or 2 Punters (Vedvik). Tell me you want the 2nd punter :lol:

Maybe Phillips drops for Sweeney, but everyone else is replacement level.

I forgot its 55 now. As for punter- none of them please. They all suck.

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

If you remove dimarco and consider the new guy core special teams it doesn't make a huge difference.

Dimarco seems to stick like glue on this team

Edited by billsfan_34
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I just don't see us carrying 3 QB's...probably will add another player to the roster other than QB

I don't either. Who from the cut/ps list are you suggesting instead? It's a starting point that will change as we sign (and draft) more players. I'd like more secondary, but we don't have anyone else under contract. 

3 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

It's now a 55 man roster per new CBA. While it seems like there aren't a lot of spots left to fill, by my count there are probably 16-17 roster spots in play, about 38 locks. 

If there are 38 locks right now:

1. They have 64 on roster so the first group fighting for jobs numbers 26

2. They will have 7 draft picks (as of now)

3. That leaves 19 roster spots to fill out to get to 90 going into training camp (actually 20 I think they still get exemption for Wade).

Locks on offense:

QB: Allen, Barkley

RB: Singletary

FB: DiMarco

WR: Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Roberts (return man)

OL: Morse, Dawkins, Spain, Feliciano, Ford, Nsekhe, Long

TE: Knox, Kroft, Sweeney

Total locks on offense: 18

Special teams: Hauschka, Ferguson and a punter - 3 locks

Locks on defense:

DL: Hughes, Addison, Jefferson, Butler, Oliver, H Phillips, Star

LB: Edmunds, Milano, Klein, Matakevich

CB: White, Wallace, T Johnson, Norman

S: Hyde, Poyer

Total locks on defense: 17

That's 38, 17 spots left.

Spots to fill:

RB: 2 Yeldon likely, at least 1 not on roster yet. Wade is a wild card but far from done deal. Add vet FA and/or draft 1

WR: 2 more, will get at least one in draft then either add a free agent or maybe D. Williams or Foster. 

OL: 2 more to get to 9 maybe even keep 10 with the roster now at 55. Bates probably stays but depends if they pick up a minimum guy (Waddle) also think they draft at least 1.

TE: Probably keep 4 so 1 more not convinced Lee Smith is here, could be cap casualty. 

DL: Add 2, probably keep 9, Murphy probably makes it but could see them cutting him loose, also have Darryl Johnson, if he shows promise they will want a developmental/young/cheap guy

LB: 3 more, Joseph and Dodson in mix, could bring back minimum salary guys for 1-2 spots and draft one

CB: 2 more, will draft 1, have SIran Neal who likely makes it

S: Need 2 have J. Johnson who they seem to like, may draft 1, Marlowe is always out there. 

That's how I think it breaks down. 

That’s good work. I’d probably move DiMarco from lock to maybe. I’d probably move Neal to lock after the way he played late in the year. As a raw, young player he’s developed and is versatile. That’s nitpicking a little but overall really nice job!!

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

QB: Josh Allen, Matt Barkley

RB: Devin Singletary, TJ Yeldon, Christian Wade

FB: Patrick DiMarco

WR: Stefon Diggs, John Brown, Cole Beasley, Duke Williams, Robert Foster, Andre Roberts

TE: Dawson Knox, Tyler Kroft, Lee Smith, Tommy Sweeney, Jason Croom

OT: Dion Dawkins, Ty Nsekhe, Cody Ford, Ryan Bates

OG: Quinton Spain, Jon Feliciano, Spencer Long, Ike Boettger

OC: Mitch Morse

DT: Ed Oliver, Star Lotulelei, Quinton Jefferson, Vernon Butler, Harrison Phillips 

DE: Jerry Hughes, Mario Addison, Trent Murphy, Darryl Johnson

OLB: Matt Milano, AJ Klein, Vosean Joseph, Tyler Matakevich, Corey Thompson, Tyrel Dodson 

ILB: Tremaine Edmunds, Del'Shawn Phillips 

S: Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer, Siran Neal, Jaquan Johnson 

CB: Tre'Davious White, Levi Wallace, Josh Norman, Taron Johnson, Cam Lewis

LS: Reid Ferguson 

K: Stephen Hauschka 

P: Corey Bojorquez

PS/Cuts: Davis Webb(QB), Nick Easley(WR), Ray-Ray McCloud(WR), Nate Becker(TE), Victor Salako(OT), Vincent Taylor(DT), Mike Love(DE), Jonathan Woodard(DE), Kaare Vedvik(P)

FA's that could be retained: Senorise Perry(RB), Isaiah McKenzie(WR), LaAdrian Waddle(OT), Isaac Asiata(OG), Corey Liuget(DT), Maurice Alexander(LB), Julian Stanford(LB), Kurt Coleman(S), Dean Marlowe(S), Kevin Johnson(CB)

Positions I think we're set at are FB, OG, C, DT, LS, K

Positions we are thin at are RB, ILB, S

Positions that I wouldn't be surprised to see more moves at are QB, WR, TE, OT, DE, OLB, CB, P

Thoughts? This is just based on what we know so far and I will try to keep the OP as up to date as possible. 

Only one Williams ? I remember those 6-8 wins years so fondly. 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s good work. I’d probably move DiMarco from lock to maybe. I’d probably move Neal to lock after the way he played late in the year. As a raw, young player he’s developed and is versatile. That’s nitpicking a little but overall really nice job!!

Siran Neal definitely makes this team. That speed was unreal he played with. Playing slot or safety gives him a roster spot no doubt. 

Obviously as others pointed out it’s waaaaay too early but Vosean Joseph is gonna be backup ILB for Edmunds possibly along with the new special teams guy. That’s just my opinion. Joseph has traits that could push him into meaningful snaps quickly next season. Once again just my opinion but I’m big on the Vosean hype train 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I don't either. Who from the cut/ps list are you suggesting instead? It's a starting point that will change as we sign (and draft) more players. I'd like more secondary, but we don't have anyone else under contract. 

Well it's obvious several of their draft picks will be making the roster so I'd likely say they would come from there

25 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Well it's obvious several of their draft picks will be making the roster so I'd likely say they would come from there

Right. I plan on updating the OP as we sign and draft players. The current post is just what we currently have. I figured it'd help everyone focus on what they actually think we should pursue ?

Wouldn’t it be something, I mean truly amazing if the jaw-dropping preseason performance we saw in Wade transfers to him having learned enough during his ‘training camp’ to make the 55? 

I think we’re already striking fear in the League with Singletary, Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Dawson & Allen and a solid OL. Imagine Wade bursting onto the scene with consistent thrilling play in the Regular Season! 

Gives me the chills. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've heard said that Mike Love was having a really good camp last yr until he got hurt & was wondering if he might beat out Murph if he comes back & continues to show he's playing better others on the team ?

Given the talk of Murph being cut to free up some added cap room & until the end of last season him being very lack luster in his roll on the D he has a great motor but if Love can prove his worth at a lessor price could Murph be collateral damage ??