Projected 55* & Roster Discussion (Draft)

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Thought about dropping him and keeping Sweeney. I think his role in the locker room will be important with Alexander gone, but who knows?

A lot would have to change in camp and preseason for me to be okay keeping Croom over Sweeney... 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Melvin Gordon?

Maybe... I don’t hate it, but it’s gotta be a damn good deal. I think he’s finding his market is way less than he wanted, and if that’s the case I would be fine taking him. I like the appeal of a turn key back who can get 12-20 carries dependent on need and you know what you’re getting. 

• Like (+1) 1

Draft someone and trade star to the 49ers for Coleman after camp lol

Not the worst idea I’ve ever heard... 

he's practically the owner's kid now though! 

lol. That joke is great, but as it stands now, if Croom gets a job over Sweeney then it’s not a joke and it’s just embarrassing for the whole organization. ?

It's now a 55 man roster per new CBA. While it seems like there aren't a lot of spots left to fill, by my count there are probably 16-17 roster spots in play, about 38 locks. 

If there are 38 locks right now:

1. They have 64 on roster so the first group fighting for jobs numbers 26

2. They will have 7 draft picks (as of now)

3. That leaves 19 roster spots to fill out to get to 90 going into training camp (actually 20 I think they still get exemption for Wade).

Locks on offense:

QB: Allen, Barkley

RB: Singletary

FB: DiMarco

WR: Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Roberts (return man)

OL: Morse, Dawkins, Spain, Feliciano, Ford, Nsekhe, Long

TE: Knox, Kroft, Sweeney

Total locks on offense: 18

Special teams: Hauschka, Ferguson and a punter - 3 locks

Locks on defense:

DL: Hughes, Addison, Jefferson, Butler, Oliver, H Phillips, Star

LB: Edmunds, Milano, Klein, Matakevich

CB: White, Wallace, T Johnson, Norman

S: Hyde, Poyer

Total locks on defense: 17

That's 38, 17 spots left.

Spots to fill:

RB: 2 Yeldon likely, at least 1 not on roster yet. Wade is a wild card but far from done deal. Add vet FA and/or draft 1

WR: 2 more, will get at least one in draft then either add a free agent or maybe D. Williams or Foster. 

OL: 2 more to get to 9 maybe even keep 10 with the roster now at 55. Bates probably stays but depends if they pick up a minimum guy (Waddle) also think they draft at least 1.

TE: Probably keep 4 so 1 more not convinced Lee Smith is here, could be cap casualty. 

DL: Add 2, probably keep 9, Murphy probably makes it but could see them cutting him loose, also have Darryl Johnson, if he shows promise they will want a developmental/young/cheap guy

LB: 3 more, Joseph and Dodson in mix, could bring back minimum salary guys for 1-2 spots and draft one

CB: 2 more, will draft 1, have SIran Neal who likely makes it

S: Need 2 have J. Johnson who they seem to like, may draft 1, Marlowe is always out there. 

That's how I think it breaks down. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Maybe... I don’t hate it, but it’s gotta be a damn good deal. I think he’s finding his market is way less than he wanted, and if that’s the case I would be fine taking him. I like the appeal of a turn key back who can get 12-20 carries dependent on need and you know what you’re getting. 

Exactly.  I think we'll find a way to bring him in cheaper than what he's expecting since his market value should be low

Just now, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Melvin Gordon?

He might be too expensive and not want to share carries with Singletary.

We're almost done with free agency. Just need to add a vet RB to replace Gore and maybe Chris Harris too. After the draft, Beane also needs to extend White, Milano, and Dawkins.

Of the OP's list, I think the following players end up getting replaced with draft picks and other free agents: Yeldon, Wade, Foster, Croom, Boettger, Thompson, Dodson, Phillips, Lewis.

Interesting note: 5 players on the roster have connections with Carolina, all on defense (Butler, Star, Klein, Addison, Norman).

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RealKayAdams said:

He might be too expensive and not want to share carries with Singletary.

We're almost done with free agency. Just need to add a vet RB to replace Gore and maybe Chris Harris too. After the draft, Beane also needs to extend White, Milano, and Dawkins.

Of the OP's list, I think the following players end up getting replaced with draft picks and other free agents: Yeldon, Wade, Foster, Croom, Boettger, Thompson, Dodson, Phillips, Lewis.

Interesting note: 5 players on the roster have connections with Carolina, all on defense (Butler, Star, Klein, Addison, Norman).

Which FA RB do you see us going after?  Because we are so thin at RB, I think Yeldon stays.  Not a guaranteed lock yet, but I think his chance are good.

4 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Which FA RB do you see us going after?  Because we are so thin at RB, I think Yeldon stays.  Not a guaranteed lock yet, but I think his chance are good.

I don't know, to be honest. I had assumed Howard was coming to Buffalo. There should be plenty of additional options through the draft and post-June cuts. Maybe the Bills should call Marshawn Lynch?! I saw him on the Westworld season opener the other night while locked up in my apartment waiting out this coronavirus apocalypse.

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Thought about dropping him and keeping Sweeney. I think his role in the locker room will be important with Alexander gone, but who knows?

I think Smith has too much downside to overcome locker room role. The culture is in place, the team is all but built. I can’t see him making the 53 but yeah, ya never know.

23 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

MG at 3 years, 5 mil per is his value. He needs to understand this.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

If we lose Johnson in free agency, I would assume CB is our target with our 2nd round pick.  

We would just be White and Wallace on the outside?

I mean, maybe Norman returns to form in the system that got him paid, but he's looking like the Deangelo Hall trajectory 

5 minutes ago, RealKayAdams said:

I don't know, to be honest. I had assumed Howard was coming to Buffalo. There should be plenty of additional options through the draft and post-June cuts. Maybe the Bills should call Marshawn Lynch?! I saw him on the Westworld season opener the other night while locked up in my apartment waiting out this coronavirus apocalypse.

I think we all thought that too about Howard.  I guess if there was another one to pursue, I wouldn't mind taking a crack at Freeman.  I think he could rejuvenate his career here and would be a good compliment to Singletary.