All these FA signings - Any impactful?

I admit I am only really focused on the skill positions.

Norman is a flier & probably a good one.

Diggs cost the Bills a lot, but happy we finally have a replacement for Watkins?? three years later.....  But came at a steep price.

Everyone talked incessantly at all the cap space & seems by the #'s all the FA's are just shuffling players & no big names or $'s.

Trust me I'm thrilled about the 2020 year (if & when it is), but just wondering about all these players.

Edited by Billsfan1972

Actually Diggs didn't cost hardly anything.  He cost a 1st round pick and a 4th next year really, the 5th and the 6th were extras so he was playing with house money.  Bean still has a 2nd, 3rd, 4th,5th,6th,6th and a 7th this year.  

• Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, Buff76ers said:

Actually Diggs didn't cost hardly anything.  He cost a 1st round pick and a 4th next year really, the 5th and the 6th were extras so he was playing with house money.  Bean still has a 2nd, 3rd, 4th,5th,6th,6th and a 7th this year.  

I agree with this completely. A lot would be giving up multiple picks in the top 3 rounds, that would have been a lot. This is a back up safety, a flyer on a project wide receiver, and maybe a back up linebacker plus a first rounder for Diggs. You make that trade all the time

Other than Diggs, none of these guys are very impressive. Mostly depth guys, but we'll see how they pan out. Poyer and Hughes didn't do squat before they came here. Maybe Beane has caught a couple sleepers. He's paying them well enough.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buff76ers said:

I agree

Bills fans are having a tough time getting used to the fact that this team is no longer rebuilding. They’re now filling holes. The Super Bowl era Bills did the same thing. They hit on a few draft picks (Kelly, Bruce, Thurman, Reed) and then they quickly moved to get a few key free agents to fill holes (Biscuit, etc.) 

• Like (+1) 1

I like that Beane is adapting his personnel strategy for the fact that we are drafting low. I am thrilled about Diggs but am still expecting more firepower including a tall red zone target and a smashmouth RB. I don't have much confidence in our incumbent TEs

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

I agree

Bills fans are having a tough time getting used to the fact that this team is no longer rebuilding. They’re now filling holes. The Super Bowl era Bills did the same thing. They hit on a few draft picks (Kelly, Bruce, Thurman, Reed) and then they quickly moved to get a few key free agents to fill holes (Biscuit, etc.) 

Wasn't biscuit a trade/contract dispute thing?  In any case, i agree.  They needed a CB, DT, DE, and OLB - thats what they lost.  They got a NT, a 3T DT, a pass rushing DE, 2 LBs who can also help on special teams replace alexander, and a former all-pro corner they are trying to squeeze a final season out of.  They filled holes along the dline rotation, re-upped spain once Thuney came off the market, and made the big move for diggs.  

I think all the FA signings are impactful. Some greater than others. They all create competition at their respected position. The real question, for me, is does our FA signing make us a better team, and have we improved relative to our division rivals.

18 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Other than Diggs, none of these guys are very impressive. Mostly depth guys, but we'll see how they pan out. Poyer and Hughes didn't do squat before they came here. Maybe Beane has caught a couple sleepers. He's paying them well enough.

Mario Addison and AJ Klein aren't depth guys.  They are starters.  Addison has 39 sacks over the last 4 seasons....

• Like (+1) 2

Biscuit was 100% a trade with the Colts.

I think Butler, Jefferson, and Addison all have shown they can be impact players. 
Addison looks like an upgrade over Shaq.

Jefferson is a guy that really intrigues me. Seems like he might be one of those Poyer type signings. I think McDermott, Frazier, and Washington will get the most out of him. 

I think we did well to adequately replace what we lost and get a little  better.

Norman > Johnson

Butler = Phillips (JP was a no name before he came here- Butler is bigger and stronger, so it will help run D more)

Addison + Jefferson > Shaq Lawson.  Addison gets to the QB more than Shaq. Jefferson is versatile depth.

Klein + Matekevich = Lorax  (younger but still experience plus ST Monsters and younger so this could be a +)

Diggs > McKenzie plus whatever 1st Rd WR we may have taken

And we are not done. This roster is taking shape well. I think Beane did the same thing with the DL this year that he did with the OL last year and it improved. I expect more of the same.

17 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

They are exactly the kind of FA signings that good teams engage in

• Like (+1) 1

Well Addison is a 9 to 10 sack guy, that's significant. Vernon has top grade talent and actually has better pash rush winning ratios than Phillip's and is a significantly better run stopper.

Klein is a smart player, he is adequate and can do the limited job they want him to do but ideally joseph plays him out of a job. 

I like the guys they have, still hoping for Chris Harris to wrap it up 

14 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes I was more laughing at all the "big" names the Bills were going to sign with $90,000,000.  By my count it is 0. 

They made a big trade & are gambling (and I like it) on one big name Josh Norman on a one year contract.

All you have to do is look at the jets last year, all those big names and inflated salaries got them what