It’s clear.....Super Bowl championship or bust

Beast

Power ranking the AFC IMO:

1 - KC:  Champs are champs until knocked off

2 - Balt:  I actually think Lamar and Balt is going to take a minor step back.  I feel like Buffalo actually put the blueprint out there to defend their offense and after that they were more vulnerable.  They are still a very talented roster, but I also think they will not be as dominant and we are right on their tail.

3 - Buffalo:  I may get some homer flack here for this, but I truly see us as the 3rd team right now.  My putting them at 3 is a combo of how much I think our roster is already improved plus my confidence in Josh Allen’s continued growth.  He’s made big steps in short periods of time consistently since playing his last Wyoming game. He blew people away at combine, he surprised in camp, he made a big leap after coming back from injury, he made big leaps in year 2, and even his deep ball was a lot better down the stretch of the season compared to first 2/3’s if the season.  He just keeps taking sizable steps forward in short windows since getting pro level coaching after stints at a JuCo and Wyoming.

4 - Titans:  Tempting to put Steelers here as they could be a force if Big Ben roars back, but he’s an injury risk these days and Titans just earned some respect last year.  I have a hard time seeing Tannehill living up to expectations, but with Henry and that defense, all he really needs to do is be a strong game manger and they will be a tough out.  Be interesting to see if losing Conklin hurts a lot or not.  I personally think they could take a step back this year as I am skeptical on Tannehill over a full season and concerned about the impact of losing Conklin.  But for now, I think they earned this spot last year.  

5 - Steelers:  Reloaded D, plenty of weapons on offense still and Big Ben back.  They could rise up these rankings easily if Ben finds his old form.  But injury risk is a legit question for him and also still need to see how he comes back from his last injury still.  But I think he’s gonna be alright and that makes these guys potentially to low on this list, but until we see it I think this is where they belong.  

6 - Broncos:  They have a strong roster, their success is strictly tied to Locks sophomore improvement or not.  He looked promising, and I think he will do enough to make them a strong candidate for a wildcard.

7 - Pats:  I debated putting them here, or even on the list, until we see what they do at QB.  They lost some key players on D, so they took downgrades in both sides of the ball.  I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt here and assuming they put enough pieces in place to still be dangerous and I’ve learned to never count BB out.

Next group:  Houston, Colts and Cleveland are in the convo, but have big question marks too.  

Indy - What’s Rivers gonna do with a less talented offense than he had with Chargers?  

Hou - The two best players on both sides of the ball now are a major injury risks in Watt and Fuller.  Their offense still goes through Watson, but their weapons now are pedestrian at best, so they better hit on a rookie WR early and also hope DJ is the successful reclamation project BOB thinks he is or they will struggle to win 8 games IMO.

Cle - Will the real Baker please stand up?  Horrible coaching staff was revamped, so it all comes down to which Baker can they expect this year.  The promising rookie who was expected to take a big leap last year (but regressed instead) or is the Baker they got last year more accurate reflection of his future?  If Baker gets back on track, they have a roster that can make some real noise.  If it’s more of the same then this team will implode and I think OBJ could be traded by the deadline as he’s not gonna handle another losing season well.  

I expect the Bills to make the playoffs again in 2020 and win a game or two. If we make it to the promised land and win it all ,  it would be a bonus. Still a few unknowns and missing pieces in the mix to say Superbowl or bust for 2020. 

Now if the Bills continue their current trajectory,  the 2021 season is definitely the Superbowl or bust season. 

3 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Our defense is being built to stymie the best offenses out there (KC, Baltimore).

If our offense can score 24 points, it will be like having the opposition in a chokehold.

We may not get there but this team is not done bringing in pieces. They will contend for a Championship.

For the first time since the Kelly era, the Bills, IMO, should be considered a prime contender to win the Lombardi.

Good times are ahead!

So if Allen gets hit with a cheap shot and breaks a leg we are a bust.  Right.

Just now, Limeaid said:

So if Allen gets hit with a cheap shot and breaks a leg we are a bust.  Right.

You had to go there? I think everyone, with the exception of you, realized I am speaking if Allen is healthy.

Christ.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Binghamton Beast said:

You had to go there? I think everyone, with the exception of you, realized I am speaking if Allen is healthy.

Christ.

Putting me on ignore is an option. So is writing post better not taking to extreme that missing Superbowl is a bust.  Lots of things besides QB being hurt happen. Bad call by referees in playoffs, etc.

• Sad 1

I know I'm biased but in my opinion, the Bills right now have one of the best 2 or 3 FO in the NFL, not just Beane, who's great, but the scouts and others working there. Most of their moves, be it the draft, FA or trades have worked out well for the Bills.

2 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Come on now.  I'm tired of hearing this.  We're still a growing team.  We need to aim for taking the division this year and get at least a playoff win.  Of course SB is the ultimate goal, but we gotta be realistic.  Baltimore and KC are still dominant teams who could both make deep playoff runs.  We still have lots to prove before we can say "SB or bust."  And trust me, I hate the Patriots just as much as anyone on this board, but we still have to worry about them.  They still have a great defense and TB was just an average QB last year and we still couldn't jump that hurdle.  We all know what BB is capable of, no matter who is their QB, i.e. Matt Cassel.  I'm very optimistic that the division is indeed ours this year, but it won't be easy.  And I already don't like that expectation/prediction from the NFL "experts" that the division is ours this year, cuz we all know that they're always wrong. 

Well, of course, but this is typical rear-view mirror analysis.  Anyone can make predictions that are nothing more than last year's standings reiterated.   The problem with that kind of prognostication is that it's usually better than 50% wrong.   Most teams other than the Patriots rise to the top for a year, two years tops, and then fall again, despite the fact that many fans think they see another dynasty.  

I certainly wouldn't bet on Baltimore staying on top - the league is in the process of figuring Jackson out, and he hasn't yet shown that he can be a master NFL quarterback.  

The point is that the teams at the top of the NFL change from year to year.   San Francisco was 4-12 in 2018 and one of the best teams in the league last season.   

There are plenty of reasons why the Bills might not get near the top in 2020, but of the teams that weren't there in 2019, they have to be one of the preseason favorites.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

I know I'm biased but in my opinion, the Bills right now have one of the best 2 or 3 FO in the NFL, not just Beane, who's great, but the scouts and others working there. Most of their moves, be it the draft, FA or trades have worked out well for the Bills.

I agree that the FO seems to be consistently good at identifying and adding pieces to the team, but they don't get all the credit.  It takes two to tango - players have to want to play in Buffalo, and that's about the quality of the coaching, the prospects of the team for the future, the quality of the fans, a lot of things.   

Last year the reports were that Beasley came down to Buffalo and New England.   Two years ago Brown was interested in Buffalo but was unsure about the situation and went to Baltimore instead on a one-year deal.   Last year at this time he looked again, liked what he saw, and came to Buffalo.   A boatload of offensive linemen chose Buffalo, and the Bills now have three starting offensive linemen who weren't here before.

It looks like the Bills just signed a seriously good collection of defensive players (an even better collection than the group of offensive linemen last year), not every one of whom will work but who collectively should improve an already good defense and adequately cover the losses of Shaq, Philips and Zo.   Those guys each had good options and they all chose Buffalo.   That's more than FO salesmanship.   That's evidence of a total team environment - coaches, fans, owners, facilities that good players are finding desirable.   

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, of course, but this is typical rear-view mirror analysis.  Anyone can make predictions that are nothing more than last year's standings reiterated.   The problem with that kind of prognostication is that it's usually better than 50% wrong.   Most teams other than the Patriots rise to the top for a year, two years tops, and then fall again, despite the fact that many fans think they see another dynasty.  

I certainly wouldn't bet on Baltimore staying on top - the league is in the process of figuring Jackson out, and he hasn't yet shown that he can be a master NFL quarterback.  

The point is that the teams at the top of the NFL change from year to year.   San Francisco was 4-12 in 2018 and one of the best teams in the league last season.   

There are plenty of reasons why the Bills might not get near the top in 2020, but of the teams that weren't there in 2019, they have to be one of the preseason favorites.  

All valid points.  I agree with your statement on Jackson.  He will eventually be figured out.  As most of us here, we've had our fair share of hopes during many off-seasons, only to be let down when a season started.  I think i'm just having a hard time with us being labeled as "favorites" because it's been so long since that has happened.  And the Patriots are still the Patriots, with or without TB.  Times have definitely changed for this organization and my optimism will be extremely high when we finally beat them.

6 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

All valid points.  I agree with your statement on Jackson.  He will eventually be figured out.  As most of us here, we've had our fair share of hopes during many off-seasons, only to be let down when a season started.  I think i'm just having a hard time with us being labeled as "favorites" because it's been so long since that has happened.  And the Patriots are still the Patriots, with or without TB.  Times have definitely changed for this organization and my optimism will be extremely high when we finally beat them.

I get it.  We've been living this bad dream for so long, it just doesn't seem real that this is happening.   Plus, and this is really where your realism/pessimism is grounded, it's really tough to win in the NFL.   The playoffs amaze me with how high those coaches and players raise their level of play.   So it isn't easy to win.  

And I don't disagree about the Patriots, either.   Belichick is the GOAT.   Brady is the GOAT only because he was the perfect fit for Belichick.  Belichick has 30-35 players returning who know the system and who play at a really high level.   All he has to do is get a QB to play at a high level.  A guy like Dalton might very well keep the Pats on top, and except for one play, I'm not Dalton booster.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Putting me on ignore is an option. So is writing post better not taking to extreme that missing Superbowl is a bust.  Lots of things besides QB being hurt happen. Bad call by referees in playoffs, etc.

Yeah, so should I write a novel for every post to include weather conditions, possible deaths in family, wives delivering babies, etc.

Would that please you?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Our defense is being built to stymie the best offenses out there (KC, Baltimore).

If our offense can score 24 points, it will be like having the opposition in a chokehold.

We may not get there but this team is not done bringing in pieces. They will contend for a Championship.

For the first time since the Kelly era, the Bills, IMO, should be considered a prime contender to win the Lombardi.

Good times are ahead!

Absolutely. We have a Championship roster right now, and still have the draft , which Beane has been magnificent at and more FA. 

Feels amazing being on this side of things