Bills sign DL Quinton Jefferson for 2 years, $13.5M

I think my bottom line from all the changes on our DL, is that McDermott felt we struggled on run D at times last year and it cost us games.

We also didn't have enough pass rush.

Since you can't improve something by keeping it the same, it did not make sense to pay $10/yr each to Phillips and to Lawson.

Though it is a bummer to hear that we offered 3 years/$27.5M to Lawson and he went to Miami for 3 yrs/$30M.

• Like (+1) 2

I quite like this addition. Versatile piece. 

Someone said yesterday when we signed the linebacker from the Steelers to replace Zo on teams "if you need two players to replace Zo get him to unretire!" 

Well I submit you really need 3. And Jefferson is one of them. The Bills liked using Zo inside as a DT in their big pass rush package and Jefferson is a replacement in that role. In our base he is a rotational "big end."  

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Can’t believe we got him for that price. Very nice rotational piece. Still not sure why we paid Butler so much...

I am surprised we got Jefferson for that too.  He is a guy I wanted in FA.  He can play DE and drop down to DT on passing downs to get pressure from the inside.  Notably he led Seattle in interior pressure rate the last two seasons.  He is an upgrade from Phillips in that regard IMO, though his overall job will be a bit different.

This was our best free agent signing so far - I believe that fans will be very pleased with Jefferson's performance for us. A versatile guy on the DL who can play both the run & rush the passer. We also did not have to break the bank to sign him. Love this signing!

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Can’t believe we got him for that price. Very nice rotational piece. Still not sure why we paid Butler so much...

I'm hypothesizing that Butler was scouted by Beane, and ultimately drafted for McDermott's defense. McDermott left and the fit wasn't quite the same. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think my bottom line from all the changes on our DL, is that McDermott felt we struggled on run D at times last year and it cost us games.

We also didn't have enough pass rush.

Since you can't improve something by keeping it the same, it did not make sense to pay $10/yr each to Phillips and to Lawson.

Though it is a bummer to hear that we offered 3 years/$27.5M to Lawson and he went to Miami for 3 yrs/$30M.

One thing on the money- is that NY takes another 2 + million of that 27.5 where Florida takes 0 of the 30 therefore the difference is really almost $5 million at end of three years. That is real money even to rich dudes

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

On paper this looks great, but why didn’t Seattle keep him and why did we get him for relative peanuts? Was it salary cap issues in Seattle?

Middle of the pack. Last I saw on Spotrac they were 16th in league with just under $30 million in space. We are/were definitely in a better position than them to spend some money.  My guess is, they are focussed on Clowney.   

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

One thing on the money- is that NY takes another 2 + million of that 27.5 where Florida takes 0 of the 30 therefore the difference is really almost $5 million at end of three years. That is real money even to rich dudes

Plus, the real contract details have not been disclosed. Sure, it could have been worth 27.5, but what were the guarantees? He got a lot of guaranteed money from Miami. I suspect the Bills did not offer the same. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

On paper this looks great, but why didn’t Seattle keep him and why did we get him for relative peanuts? Was it salary cap issues in Seattle?

Trying to free up cap space to keep Clowney, from what I've read...

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, whatdrought said:

The Carolina bonus, I think these guys must have dirt on McBeane.?

Seriously, I really like the Jefferson signing and think they got a great deal.