Would Cam Newton be a good backup to Josh?

1 minute ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

And that's why it's not worth bringing him in in my opinion, because I'm sure he feels he can still play at a high level.

Don't underestimate McDermott in handling difficult personalities.   He may be able to sell Cam this new role.

36 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Isn't that the definition of a backup QB.  I don't see many starting opportunities for Cam.  The important question is:  is Cam an upgrade to our current back up?  I believe that he would be yes.

You and I disagree on what Cam is willing to do when he arrives wherever that is. If he is not the starter he will do what he must to become the starter, he will sow division in the locker room. Skill set is far less important  on a backup QBs resume than the proper mentality.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You and I disagree on what Cam is willing to do when he arrives wherever that is. If he is not the starter he will do what he must to become the starter, he will sow division in the locker room. Skill set is far less important  on a backup QBs resume than the proper mentality.

I do agree with this.  I also know we’re screwed if Barkley has to play and that could derail a playoff berth.  Get Joe Flacco.

3 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

It really only makes sense to a writer with space to fill.  To summarize why a bad idea:

1.  Will want to be a starter

2.  Will want more $ than a normal backup

3.  His ego is not suited to a backup

4.  Does not seem like the mentor type

5.  Injury status unknown

So while I think he is better than Barkley as a QB, he would not be a better backup QB.

Pretty much think this covers it.

Mind you, if Cam actually wanted to be a backup for a year, then I am open to being convinced.

30 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I do agree with this.  I also know we’re screwed if Barkley has to play and that could derail a playoff berth.  Get Joe Flacco.

I agree on Barkley part but I am not sure Flacco will be cheap enough.

On 3/18/2020 at 2:06 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

1) Cam has no interest in being a backup at this point.  If he's healthy, he's earned a shot to start.  If he isn't, he shouldn't be a backup

2) The ego pressure in that QB room would be so intense that Ken Dorsey would have to be rushed to the hypobaric chamber to prevent a bad case of the "Bends"

FIFY.  Oh, wait, you weren't speaking French?  You meant the QB last name Winston?
Seriously - since "taking care of the football" is such a huge deal for McDermott, why does anyone think he'd want Mr Picksomatic waiting in the wings?

McDermott had Nathan Pickerman starting games so stop. J Winston would be a upgrade to Matt Barkley

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/18/2020 at 2:06 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

1) Cam has no interest in being a backup at this point.  If he's healthy, he's earned a shot to start.  If he isn't, he shouldn't be a backup

2) The ego pressure in that QB room would be so intense that Ken Dorsey would have to be rushed to the hypobaric chamber to prevent a bad case of the "Bends"

FIFY.  Oh, wait, you weren't speaking French?  You meant the QB last name Winston?
Seriously - since "taking care of the football" is such a huge deal for McDermott, why does anyone think he'd want Mr Picksomatic waiting in the wings?

Winston career int % 3.5

barkley career int % 6.1

He also drafted Nate Peterman, career int 9.2%!!!

winston might be too cautious to be a Bills backup. 

I don't see any way that Cam would want to come to Buffalo to be a backup and that goes for Winston too.

Flacco is probably toast and there is no real FA QBs worth anything.

So, would it make sense that the Bills take a flyer on a 5th or 6th round QB in the draft?

I'm not a huge college fan but maybe a Nate Stanley/Steven Montez type?

2 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

This is your opinion,  correct?

If Newton became our backup, I am confident that McBeane would have defined his role and obtained a buy in from him.  In my opinion.

As far as your last point, skill set extremely important when your QB goes down.  Do you remember games last year when Allen was not able to play or finish games?  Not pretty.

Every time I read this thread title I can't help but laugh. Cam Newton playing backup to a guy that can't even hit the side of a barn with his passes. Cam may not be the most accurate passer, but he's light years ahead of Allen. 

BTW, Cam's teamates have never suggested that he does anything to hurt morale and he's only 30. People are just making stuff up here to support their arguments. I'm guessing he can still run, but I want a QB that can throw. I don't care if he runs at all. How many yards have Brady, Montana, Kelly, Marino et al run for?

Absolutely noway in hell. Cam would destroy the locker room. I think he is an incredible player and talent but he is a headcase and drama queen. Plus we are not going to pay a back up QB $15+ million. Not going to happen.

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, wppete said:

Absolutely noway in hell. Cam would destroy the locker room. I think he is an incredible player and talent but he is a headcase and drama queen. Plus we are not going to pay a back up QB $15+ million. Not going to happen.

He's the only person who could show up Fitz in your avatar with a daily display of amazing fashion taste which would lead us to 5 SBs in a row.

On a more serious note... yes you're 100% right.

• Haha (+1) 1