Would Cam Newton be a good backup to Josh?

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why does this cancer ? come from? His teammates love him.  

Newton has had plenty of teammates and former teammates say bad things about him.

Did you not see how he conducted himself last season during joint practices with the Bills? Dude stands on the sidelines and chirps and chirps and chirps nonstop, talking trash to anyone who will give him a glance. He's so full of himself it's stupid. Wouldn't want him on my team in his prime.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Whenever I think of Newton this play comes to mind.  Not a fan and I wouldn't mind him going to the Patriots.

source.gif

What are you trying to say? Cam has taken a beating that no other QB would have. Some of it is his fault but there is a bias against him. I don’t even think it is intentional. I liken it to Shaquille O’Neil. They are both so physically dominating it is difficult to officiate fouls against them as they so often are the initiators of the contact. Cam has been a warrior. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Agreed.

You’re obviously convinced you’re right and everybody is wrong, as is your modus operandi. For the rest of us unenlightened, it’s useless to engage you in conversation. 

Happy hunting.

I could say you’re doing the same thing.  I think fans have a problem with his outfits (they are dumb) and his celebrations.  But I have yet to hear negative reports (or being called a cancer as you put it which is a pretty serious term to call someone) about him as a teammate.  When he called out the Panthers for basically forcing him to seek a trade, Greg Olsen was one of the first people to respond and agree with him.  

7 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

You might not understand what this team seems to want in a back up.

The role is all about helping Josh Monday through Saturday in the qb room, preparing, watching film, teaching, supporting. Preparing as if playing even though almost never will. 

for that role I’d say Cam may be a worse fit. 

I say the role should be get the best possible team.  I think we easily have a playoff roster.  But you don’t settle for Matt Barkley, who is a nice guy but who is pretty awful. Allen has gotten hurt both years and knocked out of games.  The Saints kept Bridgewater and went 5-0.  I have a hard time seeing a guy who has one career start keeping us a float. 

there are plenty of veteran guys (Cam won’t do it here) who could do exactly what Barkley is doing.  Obviously the hope is Allen stays healthy and continues to progress.  But worst case scenario, this still is a playoff roster.  Why settle at such an important position? And I liked Barkley when he came out.  His arm just isn’t close to good enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

Mitch Goldich of SI had this to say about Newton:

So if he’s not walking into an open starting job, here’s my total darkhorse candidate that should consider him: The Buffalo Bills.

The Bills are a playoff team. They have a great defense. They came into this offseason with a ton of cap room, and still have the 10th-most available. They just brought in a legitimate No. 1 wide receiver. They also may smell a particularly ripe time to go all-in chasing their first AFC East title since 1995, with the Dolphins still building up, the Jets being eternally unreliable and the Patriots finally turning the page on the Tom Brady era.

I know Josh Allen has a lot of supporters insisting he got better throughout last season, and that he has a chance to take another step forward this year. I also know how the nation felt during his most recent game, watching him struggle his way through the second half and overtime of a 16-point blown lead against the Texans.

The Bills might come to the conclusion that Josh Allen is good enough. They could also easily be one year away from the situation Chicago found itself in with Mitchell Trubisky this offseason—suddenly very aware their quarterback simply isn’t the guy, in danger of letting the window close on an otherwise good team. Buffalo would be better served taking a chance on an undervalued player one year early instead of overpaying for a solution one year too late. If Newton is healthy, he could be an immediate upgrade over Allen and make Buffalo a real contender in the AFC. If he’s not healthy, Buffalo would still have the quarterback that led the team to a wild-card berth last year.

Bills head coach Sean McDermott was the defensive coordinator in Carolina for six years, including Cam’s MVP/Super Bowl campaign. Of course, that’s not the same as Philip Rivers walking into his old offensive coordinator Frank Reich’s system in Indy. But they are at least familiar with each other. McDermott is uniquely qualified to know whether or not Newton would be a good fit for that team, outside the X’s and O’s of the scheme. If Newton is going to be available for below-market value, somebody should pounce. Why not Buffalo?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/22/offseason-story-lines-tom-brady-cam-newton-coronavirus

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

Mitch Goldich of SI had this to say about Newton:

So if he’s not walking into an open starting job, here’s my total darkhorse candidate that should consider him: The Buffalo Bills.

The Bills are a playoff team. They have a great defense. They came into this offseason with a ton of cap room, and still have the 10th-most available. They just brought in a legitimate No. 1 wide receiver. They also may smell a particularly ripe time to go all-in chasing their first AFC East title since 1995, with the Dolphins still building up, the Jets being eternally unreliable and the Patriots finally turning the page on the Tom Brady era.

I know Josh Allen has a lot of supporters insisting he got better throughout last season, and that he has a chance to take another step forward this year. I also know how the nation felt during his most recent game, watching him struggle his way through the second half and overtime of a 16-point blown lead against the Texans.

The Bills might come to the conclusion that Josh Allen is good enough. They could also easily be one year away from the situation Chicago found itself in with Mitchell Trubisky this offseason—suddenly very aware their quarterback simply isn’t the guy, in danger of letting the window close on an otherwise good team. Buffalo would be better served taking a chance on an undervalued player one year early instead of overpaying for a solution one year too late. If Newton is healthy, he could be an immediate upgrade over Allen and make Buffalo a real contender in the AFC. If he’s not healthy, Buffalo would still have the quarterback that led the team to a wild-card berth last year.

Bills head coach Sean McDermott was the defensive coordinator in Carolina for six years, including Cam’s MVP/Super Bowl campaign. Of course, that’s not the same as Philip Rivers walking into his old offensive coordinator Frank Reich’s system in Indy. But they are at least familiar with each other. McDermott is uniquely qualified to know whether or not Newton would be a good fit for that team, outside the X’s and O’s of the scheme. If Newton is going to be available for below-market value, somebody should pounce. Why not Buffalo?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/22/offseason-story-lines-tom-brady-cam-newton-coronavirus

Simple answer...  Because Josh Allen’s upside isn’t worth risking against Cam Newton’s downside (respectfully).

• Like (+1) 3