If/when Jameis Winston becomes available would you want him as a back up?

37 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

I would think Winston or Newton would wind up with the Chargers. 

And the other with the Bears.

Personally, I think Winston is really talented...but there is no question, his interceptions are a problem.  On the field, I think of him as a more physically gifted Fitz.  And, he can give you some great play, but you just never know when that fatal mistake is going to happen.  I really think some coach will take a chance on him.  His stats last season were eye-popping...including the 30 interceptions. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I look at it like this.  If Allen goes down and Barkley is our starter we're screwed.  We'd be in a similar situation as Pittsburgh was last year when Roethlisberger went down. Barkley's awful and that away Jets game performance was a fluke when you look at the rest of his career.

I'd prefer another backup QB but Winston would at least gives us a puncher's chance.  So, I'd take Winston if you forced me to choose as his TD to INT ratio his first four seasons was better than last year.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Iverwig said:

For him to come in for one play and throw a pick six. I’ll pass and take my chances with Barkley.  Besides some team will allow him to be their starter. 

Fun fact: even with his 30 int season, Matt Barkley has almost double the int ratio % of Winston. Barkley, a nice guy, is terrible.

backup qb severely needs to be upgraded.  But they are going to sign any veteran who might be a threat to Allen. I think it’s a mistake but it’s Allen’s team.

If he was willing to come in as a backup? Hell yes I would. He clearly has the talent to play at a high level in the league. He would be a guy who could win you games in the NFL, not sure Barkley could win us 50% over the long term. 

He has his flaws no doubt about it, but if you can cut down the INTs just a touch your telling me you wouldn’t take a backup QB who can light teams up. Plus he did get Lasix this offseason lol, maybe he was throwing to who he thought was on his team 

PJ Walker, and bring Cam Phillips back while you're at it.

Speaking of, the NFL teams can't speak to or sign XFL players quite yet, per the league.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-updates-policy-concerning-signing-xfl-players-as-clubs-remain-prohibited-from-speaking-with-prospects/

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2