Defense:

Norman

Addison

Klein

Matakevich

Jefferson

Butler

(Extended Poyer)

Is McBeane always going to prioritize defense first? Going into this, all of the analysis was that the Bills needed to build the offense, but apparently McBeane had other plans. You can talk about the draft all you want, but those returns aren't usually immediate.

Easier to outscore an opponent is limit how much they score instead of trying to beat them in a shootout.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

A lot of that “defense” is largely ST, and BY FAR the largest and most important acquisition was on offense. We just got started in free agency. Let’s see this play out, then see what happens in the draft. (Spain is not unimportant.)

Not to mention I'm convinced our first 2 picks will be offense.

He said going into the offseason that he wanted to get more "touchdown makers" for the offense. They've only added one so far.

I expect additions at running back (FA and draft) and WR (draft), and a McKenzie-type gadget player now that they didn't tender him.

Beane is far from done. Have faith.

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Really depends what they do the rest of FA.... still kindve hoping they go offense early. (WR and RB with day 2 picks)

They need a back that has break away speed and can take it the distance in one play.... 

Forgot about RB. Definitely want to see them add that take it to the house back either in the draft of FA'cy. I like Devin. He's a good player. But it would be ideal if we added a HR threat and a between the tackles back. The latter is much easier to find.

I still want that stud edge, but it doesn't look like they're going that route in FA'cy.

So that's basically three areas of need/want right now. Not bad.

Edited by LSHMEAB

1 hour ago, BillsVet said:

I've been banging the drum that McD has prioritized the defense his first 2 seasons at the expense of the offense.  The byproduct was their offense during the first half of 2018 and last year they were mostly below average.   You could have made this point a year ago, but not anymore. 

Trading for Diggs combined with their focus on offensive skill types last year in UFA and the 2 third rounders is a major shift.  This is a team that has been questioned about their offensive talent and they responded.  So long as McD and Daboll use these guys appropriately, they've changed their direction

I don't think they changed their direction at all. They followed a 3-year blueprint to rebuild and everything is going according to plan. We're now at a place where we can maintain our defensive dominance and continue to build the offense.

14 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Maybe Ford can be that interior guy, but as of now looks like he’s back at Tackle.

The concern is if one of our older ends falls off during the season.... so I wouldn’t be upset if they went edge in the 2nd or 3rd.....but they need more on offense.... one dynamic back and another high round WR and they’ll be set.

I have zero faith in Murphy. Hughes is getting up there, and isn't the player he once was. Addison is 32. It's not an impressive unit and I'm a big "pressure the QB" guy. Hopefully Oliver makes big strides in year 2. Don't disagree with your take on the offensive needs, but I'm still concerned enough about DE that I would prefer they go that route in round 2.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Really depends what they do the rest of FA.... still kindve hoping they go offense early. (WR and RB with day 2 picks)

They need a back that has break away speed and can take it the distance in one play.... 

Christian Wade  - Buffalo Bills, May 14, 2019. Photo by Craig Melvin/Buffalo Bills

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I don't think they changed their direction at all. They followed a 3-year blueprint to rebuild and everything is going according to plan. We're now at a place where we can maintain our defensive dominance and continue to build the offense.

I'm not going to bash McD or Beane at this point.  They just traded their 1st for a proven NFL WR who instantly should make the QB and the entire offense better.

People talk about McD's process and I have no doubt he had a plan or else ownership would not have hired him.  But the idea it was down to the letter over 3 years is hard to believe. There are too many variables and I suspect the HC and GM needed to deviate every so often.  Besides, nothing ever goes according to plan, especially 1-2 seasons into the future.

3 hours ago, Foxx said:

right. who did we lose on offense?

Frank Gore, Isiah McKenzie, 

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

I have zero faith in Murphy. Hughes is getting up there, and isn't the player he once was. Addison is 32. It's not an impressive unit and I'm a big "pressure the QB" guy. Hopefully Oliver makes big strides in year 2. Don't disagree with your take on the offensive needs, but I'm still concerned enough about DE that I would prefer they go that route in round 2.

hard to get premium pass rushes post Rd 1

The offense did not have a lot of holes coming into the offseason. We had ONE gaping hole that NEEDED to be filled and Diggs filled it. Our biggest problem on offense last year was John Brown forced into a #1 role, and our #2 was shared between Duke Williams and Zay Jones... I think within a couple years everyone will look back and realize how bad that top 2 pairing was. Diggs is going to affect everything else on offense just by being on the field.

The only other hole we have on offense is a 2nd RB. That's something you find in the draft. I'm not even remotely worried about that.

Get used to Ford as RT. They aren't giving up on him this early. I am sure they will add more competition there as well. But 5 out of 5 offensive linemen returning for a consecutive year is HUGE. We will have the same exact coach and depth players too. This is more important than anything else we could have done with that position group.

The defense lost a bunch of starters and by and large their replacements are better players and better value.

On offense we needed quality, on defense we needed quantity. That's exactly how the offseason has been structured. And they'll still add at least 2 offensive playmakers in the draft, book it.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Going into this, all of the analysis was that the Bills needed to build the offense, 

No it wasn't. We had far more defensive needs. 

They had 1 bigger high profile need on offense, and addressed it straight away. 

Arguably the only outstanding clear need is a rotational RB. And you could pick them up easily 

5 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

They were 24th in offense last year. So anyone that wants to point to last years FA and say that was enough needs to ask themselves whether or not 24th is good enough. 

With a new OL coach and basically no continuity from the year before, it was an acceptable and expected improvement from being 30th or whatever on offense.  You could expect another improvement just from retaining those starters (and now second year players rather than starting rookies), but we added Diggs.

Chill.

7 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Maybe Ford can be that interior guy, but as of now looks like he’s back at Tackle.

The concern is if one of our older ends falls off during the season.... so I wouldn’t be upset if they went edge in the 2nd or 3rd.....but they need more on offense.... one dynamic back and another high round WR and they’ll be set.

I understand your concern about DEs, but in today’s NFL with quick short passes - you really need DTs that can get pressure and the Bills have that.  

I think McDermott wants his DEs to contain first and get after the QB second - maintain the pocket and let Oliver get after the QB and move him off his spot right to a DE.