Does Beane know anything about hockey?

10 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Great signings thus far.  Maybe Terry can have him take over the Sabres?  At the very least maybe he could advise them on how to run a team.

I’m not sure if this was sarcasm or not but that happened here in New Orleans. When the Benson’s bought the Pelicans they put Mickey Loomis as the head of personnel for both teams. Obviously he wasn’t making basketball decisions (although that was actually more of his background). He was there as a trusted adviser until they found someone that they really trusted on the basketball side in David Griffin. That’s when Loomis went back to the Saints full-time.

I’m not sure that I love that with Beane still being relatively new at the job. He’s really good though. As the Sabres search for someone to lead the FO the Pegulas should absolutely include Beane on the conversation. He knows what that job looks like from the inside. He can ask questions and see things that outsiders can’t. It’s like at my job how we interview any perspective sales people that we are considering bringing on. HR knows what to look for in a potential employee but we know what to look for in a potential salesperson. 

7 hours ago, tcampbell104 said:

she's the bills fan, terry is the sabres fan maybe she is better than terry at being the owner.

Oh, it’s moved quite a bit in recent years. One of the biggest criticisms of the Sabres demise is that Terry spends WAY more time in and around the Bills. He’s sort of treated the Sabres like a step-child. I’ve heard a lot of that. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

Speaking as someone who has a business acumen, Kim is absolute trash. 

'

The faster the people of Buffalo stop virtue signaling and pretending she's anything other than a rich man's wife, the faster the Sabres problems will be solved. Natural business instincts are not common. You cannot just give a prominent position to somebody who has not yet proven worthy. Terry in particular has been exposed during this Sabres debacle. They are both lucky billionaires. 

Incompetent. Zero eye for talent. Zero sense of what's going on around them. I will never understand how they lucked into McDermott and Beane. Beane in particular is a rare genius for his position. I pray they don't screw it up. 

I contemplated doing you a solid and deleting this post, but you deserve to be heard from by the group.

Turn in your Fan Card.

9 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Well to be fair you edited your comment after I responded lol. Your original comment had no reference to other women.  Nice try though.

You should answer his question. Take away the gender aspect of it, and it’s a clear-as-day case of nepotism. There are a lot of spouses and scions who have been given responsibilities they weren’t worthy of because of family connections. Indeed, Just about all of Napoleon’s relatives who were given regions to rule after his conquests did a poor job.

I have no opinion one way or the other about her acumen because I don’t really care about hockey, but obviously on a Bills board there will be a lot of Sabres fans participating. Generally speaking, I like her (she’s a very good public ambassador, which is important), but that doesn’t mean she’s good at overseeing the Sabres specifically. 

On the flip side, I can’t think of one thing that she has done regarding the Bills that was an objectively bad decision.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Oh, it’s moved quite a bit in recent years. One of the biggest criticisms of the Sabres demise is that Terry spends WAY more time in and around the Bills. He’s sort of treated the Sabres like a step-child. I’ve heard a lot of that. 

don't follow the sabres all, so you are probably right

10 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Let's look at it the other way.  Let's say that Terry hired her with her resume as the team President with no other connection.  Justify that hiring.

There are plenty of other women who are more qualified for that job on both a business and a hockey level.  I'll give you Brenda Andress and Hayley Wickenhieser as openers

Don’t you get it?  When you own the team you don’t have to justify doing it your own way, your statement reeks of justifying your jealousy.