Bills sign DT Vernon Butler. 2 years up to 18M total and 9.3M GTD

I just wanted to say that I LOVE signing supremely athletic former 1st round picks whose rookie contracts have expired. Beane likes to take these swings, it seems.

The Bills’ new D-line coach got the most out of Butler last season, as he broke out with 6.5 sacks. If he can continue to produce like that, this will prove to be a steal of a signing. If he can’t, he can be cut after this season with little penalty, and Quinton Jefferson and Horrible Harry can play more 3T. 

Love it.

• Like (+1) 5

On 3/19/2020 at 3:36 PM, DrDawkinstein said:

Jordan Phillips. Wasnt cut, and was performing.

He was cut by Miami prior to joining the Bills.

Sometimes players don’t work out at their first stop and come along elsewhere.  Witness Jerry Hughes.  Also Ted Washington, one of Bills’ best ever DL, had been a disappointment with his previous team.  Lorenzo Alexander had been primarily a special teams player prior to joining Bills.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I just wanted to say that I LOVE signing supremely athletic former 1st round picks whose rookie contracts have expired. Beane likes to take these swings, it seems.

The Bills’ new D-line coach got the most out of Butler last season, as he broke out with 6.5 sacks. If he can continue to produce like that, this will prove to be a steal of a signing. If he can’t, he can be cut after this season with little penalty, and Quinton Jefferson and Horrible Harry can play more 3T. 

Love it.

This is  a Gem that most folks may not know ! I didn't for sure. at least i did not put the facts together as you have.

Fantastic point and likely was  Butlers best Bills scout on him : )
I like the Kid even more now, Thanks Logic !

• Like (+1) 3

On 3/20/2020 at 11:36 PM, DJB said:

For some reason I find Butler he most interesting  signing we've made so far.

Probably  because  I don't know much about him. Hopefully  hes solid in the run game. 

Edit: I studied his film and to me he's going to play a similar role that Oliver plays. He's an attacking disruptor  trying  to get after the QB 

Recent article on him on has Butler as a likely bad signing. Underachiever and while his pass rush improved in his contract year, he was said to be a poor run defender. Article on Bleacher Report, NFLs 2020 All Overpaid FA Team...

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

Recent article on him on has Butler as a likely bad signing. Underachiever and while his pass rush improved in his contract year, he was said to be a poor run defender. Article on Bleacher Report, NFLs 2020 All Overpaid FA Team...

Did they pan the Poyer signing as well? 

7 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

We need to see what he looks like in McD's defense.....but I will say at 330 pounds I will be upset if he cant play the run