Bills sign DT Vernon Butler. 2 years up to 18M total and 9.3M GTD

On 3/18/2020 at 6:53 AM, SCBills said:

Sal is on the radio talking about the number of DL we brought to camp last year, but I think this is a little different... 

Are we going to keep 5 DT’s active every week, who all get meaningful snaps?... because we have 5 DT’s with legitimate investments in.  Oliver is a high pick. Phillips a relatively high pick.  Butler, Jefferson and Star all have decent contracts.   

These aren’t “Mike Love” type players that are making peanuts and are long shots to make the roster. 

Leads me to believe Quinton Jefferson will be a moveable chess piece at DT & DE on game days, with Butler, Star, Ed and Harry as the DT’s. 

1 Thing to keep in mind is now you can dress more on gameday due to the new CBA. I bet that will mean we will be dressing an extra DL many games.

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm late to this party, but gonna throw my two cents in anyways...

This is the first move that has me turning skeptical on Magic Beane.

For everyone afraid of re-signing Shaq or JP because they only performed in contract years, this signing is even worse since Butler has been a BUST and barely even performed in his contract year. Sure, he did "better" than previous seasons, but it still wasn't that good. Plus, he already has off-field issues. So not sure how this is better. Especially given that we're paying him on par with what Shaq and JP got. It's not like we brought Butler in at $4M/year. We're paying him Shaq/JP/Star money.

And to pile on, he plays a position where our roster is already full.

With Addison replacing Shaq at DE, and Jefferson replacing JP at 3-tech DT, Butler will be battling to get into rotation with Star and Harry at 1-tech DT.

I guess this means we'll see one of those 1-tech DTs traded as Beane likes to do. That is the only part of this deal that I can get behind.

But right now, it seems like we're just throwing lots of money at Beane's Carolina guys. Which, btw, it's not like Carolina has had the best D in the league (or even close to being as good as ours has been), so I'm officially sick of the Carolina signings. Time to find talent elsewhere.

I understand where this post is coming from, and I also have some reservations about this signing. 

I also see the possible positives. I think they are gonna show them what they did with Phillip's and tell him they can get the best out of him as well. He has the tools, and they had a chance to evaluate him his rookie season, so they must like him as a fit for what they wanna do. 

Now I also see another Carolina defensive linemen getting paid more than what he appears to have shown he deserves,  and he was a bust in Carolina...that is a concern.

I am choosing to believe in McDermott, Beane, and our Dline coach that they will get him to play to his potential, but it could definitely be another Star situation where he doesn't live up to his contract.

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So Shaq wouldnt take a small discount to stay with us even though the team waited for him to actually get healthy?

I hope our OL buries him on every play

would be playing over or Off Cody Ford mostly.
we should watch for that match up : )

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just a comment that the report is "up to" $18M.  We offered Shaq $27M/3 yrs, he turned it down - so apparently even what he turned down is less than the maximum here.  Shaq actually got $10M/3 yrs.

I would say wait to see what the details are before concluding it's Shaq money.

I do feel that for the money they got, we could have re-signed at least Shaq

You'd have to surmise that perhaps Shaq wanted to go to Miami. If we're talking about a difference of one mil per year over 3 years, I'm sure something would have been worked out if he wanted to stay.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

So Shaq wouldnt take a small discount to stay with us even though the team waited for him to actually get healthy?

I read somewhere he wanted to go to Miami to be closer to family. I still hope the Line buries him on every play, plus he can fight Connor McGovern again, twice a year now that he is with the Jets. But I don’t think there was animosity out the door. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Don’t ignore tax difference, playing closer to home, and living in Miami.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

skeptical

Agree.

On this flip side, the brass must really like Butler, because based on production alone, this is the type of guy you can wait on and get at a better price.  So I guess I need to wait and see what unfolds in order to judge the brilliance of this move.

On 3/19/2020 at 10:52 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm late to this party, but gonna throw my two cents in anyways...

This is the first move that has me turning skeptical on Magic Beane.

For everyone afraid of re-signing Shaq or JP because they only performed in contract years, this signing is even worse since Butler has been a BUST and barely even performed in his contract year. Sure, he did "better" than previous seasons, but it still wasn't that good. Plus, he already has off-field issues. So not sure how this is better. Especially given that we're paying him on par with what Shaq and JP got. It's not like we brought Butler in at $4M/year. We're paying him Shaq/JP/Star money.

And to pile on, he plays a position where our roster is already full.

With Addison replacing Shaq at DE, and Jefferson replacing JP at 3-tech DT, Butler will be battling to get into rotation with Star and Harry at 1-tech DT.

I guess this means we'll see one of those 1-tech DTs traded as Beane likes to do. That is the only part of this deal that I can get behind.

But right now, it seems like we're just throwing lots of money at Beane's Carolina guys. Which, btw, it's not like Carolina has had the best D in the league (or even close to being as good as ours has been), so I'm officially sick of the Carolina signings. Time to find talent elsewhere.

This is just my opinion

I wonder if Beane is taking a chance here that he might have Star's replacement next year.......thinking that a change of scenery brings out the talent in this player

Other then that?  I got nothing.....I do think the rest of his pickups on their face are solid

• Like (+1) 1

Lets envision he will find his groove here in Buffalo.
Not like it doesn't happen under McBeanes.

No wonder J Phillips and S Lawson walked away rather amicably  .

They were able to elevate their game and go get paid.
and some like Spain,  stayed.

Bills have a fine program and it is showing in the players improvement while here. I could mention Poyer and Hyde as very good examples.

No reason Butler will not grade up next year. Better system all around.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They think he's a fit.

same vibe here.

7 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This is just my opinion

I wonder if Beane is taking a chance here that he might have Star's replacement next year.......thinking that a change of scenery brings out the talent in this player

Other then that?  I got nothing.....I do think the rest of his pickups on their face are solid

Bills and Star are certainly aware he will be phased out , respectfully. They paid him well enough for him to be grateful : ) and am sure he is.

But everyone knows this is likely his last, and Bills want to upgrade and infuse talent and youth both.
I wanted DJ Reader quite strongly to be that guy.

I think Butler gives them something different than Star can. He is taller right ? ..

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Like (+1) 1

For some reason I find Butler he most interesting  signing we've made so far.

Probably  because  I don't know much about him. Hopefully  hes solid in the run game. 

Edit: I studied his film and to me he's going to play a similar role that Oliver plays. He's an attacking disruptor  trying  to get after the QB 

Edited by DJB
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/17/2020 at 8:50 PM, gobills404 said:

Beane is making sure we don't have a repeat of what the Eagles did to us

Good.  That game legitimately felt like the only one we didn't stand a chance of winning.  Every other game was a contest.  

• Like (+1) 1