Bills sign DT Vernon Butler. 2 years up to 18M total and 9.3M GTD

16 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Turned things around in 2019. Otherwise I doubt they would have pursued him.

2019 was a contract year for him however. But the contract the Bills have him on is essentially a prove it type deal since the guarantee on year two is so low. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

2019 was a contract year for him however. But the contract the Bills have him on is essentially a prove it type deal since the guarantee on year two is so low. 

or was it a Small School DT needed some time to really grow into the NFL and last year was that light going on???

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

That's a recurring theme ?
I like this kind of Player management.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

or was it a Small School DT needed some time to really grow into the NFL and last year was that light going on???

Could be that or contract, but I would not underestimate the potential positive influence of Eric Washington on boosting his play, perhaps through motivation, or perhaps through putting him in a better position to succeed.  Whatever the reason for his improvement, Washington clearly thinks highly of him, or he would not be here.  

On 3/17/2020 at 6:46 PM, whatdrought said:

Murphy may be in trouble... 

Also, would anyone else be unsurprised to see them try to move Hughes? 

Shocked really. They've added some very nice pieces and DL depth is a great asset, but who's gonna get to the QB, especially from the edge?

17 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Turned things around in 2019. Otherwise I doubt they would have pursued him.

They pursued Norman and Klein and they were terrible last year. Aside from his 6 sacks Butler wasn't very good last year either. It's a Carolina connection thing. I hope it works out.

56 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

They pursued Norman and Klein and they were terrible last year. Aside from his 6 sacks Butler wasn't very good last year either. It's a Carolina connection thing. I hope it works out.

Butler is coming off his best season and the Bills did not pay him a big multiple year deal (it's essentially a one year deal with an option for a second season as year two is only one million in dead cap if cut in 2021) so I look at it as more so trying to tap the potential he flashes at times. I don't hate the deal as Butler is going to be a rotational DT a role that might tap into his ability.  

On 3/18/2020 at 10:23 AM, DCbillsfan said:

A legit question.  Will Horrible Harry be a full go come September or will he need more time?

No lateral movement in this short video, just straight line running, but it certainly looks like he's on track.

"Defensive tackle Harrison Phillips continues his rehabilitation from an ACL injury back in September of 2019."

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/harrison-phillips-on-field-rehab-work

47 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Butler is coming off his best season and the Bills did not pay him a big multiple year deal (it's essentially a one year deal with an option for a second season as year two is only one million in dead cap if cut in 2021) so I look at it as more so trying to tap the potential he flashes at times. I don't hate the deal as Butler is going to be a rotational DT a role that might tap into his ability.  

I don't hate the Butler signing, they overpaid a little perhaps but whatever. They obviously like his potential and hopefully they can bring out the best in him. With Norman and Klein who are coming off poor seasons they must feel that they know how to get them back on track in their system. I hope they are right, we will see.

I'm late to this party, but gonna throw my two cents in anyways...

This is the first move that has me turning skeptical on Magic Beane.

For everyone afraid of re-signing Shaq or JP because they only performed in contract years, this signing is even worse since Butler has been a BUST and barely even performed in his contract year. Sure, he did "better" than previous seasons, but it still wasn't that good. Plus, he already has off-field issues. So not sure how this is better. Especially given that we're paying him on par with what Shaq and JP got. It's not like we brought Butler in at $4M/year. We're paying him Shaq/JP/Star money.

And to pile on, he plays a position where our roster is already full.

With Addison replacing Shaq at DE, and Jefferson replacing JP at 3-tech DT, Butler will be battling to get into rotation with Star and Harry at 1-tech DT.

I guess this means we'll see one of those 1-tech DTs traded as Beane likes to do. That is the only part of this deal that I can get behind.

But right now, it seems like we're just throwing lots of money at Beane's Carolina guys. Which, btw, it's not like Carolina has had the best D in the league (or even close to being as good as ours has been), so I'm officially sick of the Carolina signings. Time to find talent elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

For everyone afraid of re-signing Shaq or JP because they only performed in contract years, this signing is even worse since Butler has been a BUST and barely even performed in his contract year. Sure, he did "better" than previous seasons, but it still wasn't that good. Plus, he already has off-field issues. So not sure how this is better. Especially given that we're paying him on par with what Shaq and JP got. It's not like we brought Butler in at $4M/year. We're paying him Shaq/JP/Star money.

With Addison replacing Shaq at DE, and Jefferson replacing JP at 3-tech DT, Butler will be battling to get into rotation with Star and Harry at 1-tech DT.

I guess this means we'll see one of those 1-tech DTs traded as Beane likes to do. That is the only part of this deal that I can get behind.

But right now, it seems like we're just throwing lots of money at Beane's Carolina guys. Which, btw, it's not like Carolina has had the best D in the league (or even close to being as good as ours has been), so I'm officially sick of the Carolina signings. Time to find talent elsewhere.

Butler actually has the physical traits to play 3 tech. He is a athletically very good and sometimes DTackles take time

Phillips was cut because he wasn't performing

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Just a comment that the report is "up to" $18M.  We offered Shaq $27M/3 yrs, he turned it down - so apparently even what he turned down is less than the maximum here.  Shaq actually got $10M/3 yrs.

I would say wait to see what the details are before concluding it's Shaq money.

I do feel that for the money they got, we could have re-signed at least Shaq

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just a comment that the report is "up to" $18M.  We offered Shaq $27M/3 yrs, he turned it down - so apparently even what he turned down is less than the maximum here.  Shaq actually got $10M/3 yrs.

I would say wait to see what the details are before concluding it's Shaq money.

I do feel that for the money they got, we could have re-signed at least Shaq

His contract is already in.  His cap hit for 2020 is $7.1 million.

$1 million Dead cap in 2021.

Not anywhere near Shaq's.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/vernon-butler-18978/

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

His contract is already in.  His cap hit for 2020 is $7.1 million.

$1 million Dead cap in 2021.

Not anywhere near Shaq's.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/vernon-butler-18978/

So this is 2 years/$15M

There must be a $3M incentive somewhere, or else the initial report was wrong

Nothing guaranteed past this season

We could cut him next year with $1M dead cap

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So this is 2 years/$15M

There must be a $3M incentive somewhere, or else the initial report was wrong

Nothing guaranteed past this season

We could cut him next year with $1M dead cap

No incentives in contract other than a small active games bonus.

Lots of these initial reports are off some once the contracts come in.

• Thank you (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Butler actually has the physical traits to play 3 tech. He is a athletically very good and sometimes DTackles take time

Phillips was cut because he wasn't performing

Jordan Phillips. Wasnt cut, and was performing.

• Thank you (+1) 2