Bills sign DT Vernon Butler. 2 years up to 18M total and 9.3M GTD

1 minute ago, Bobby Hooks said:

A lot of guys there seem to think he was being underutilized and think McD will get the most out of him. 

That's true. He wasn't played partly because RR prioritized vets. But he was a first rounder he had chances on a good D and found himself behind Kyle Love. He just didn't look interested.

Its completely fair to say he may be different here.  But that contract doesn't reflect his career in the NFL up til now.

2 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

That's true. He wasn't played partly because RR prioritized vets. But he was a first rounder he had chances on a good D and found himself behind Kyle Love. He just didn't look interested.

Its completely fair to say he may be different here.  But that contract doesn't reflect his career in the NFL up til now.

One guy said he was one of the only players that played with any fire. We’re you watching different game?

A DT with those numbers don’t seem to back up your non-interest take. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

35 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Didn't realize this is that guy... ?

Stupid ass fans. Not once but twice someone threw something at him. I can't say I blame him for reacting that way. Honestly, I like the fire he showed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Seoulofstone said:

Yeah. Recency bias. Also some wanted him back (at a lot less) because they are ruining the comp picks signing scrubs. 

Comp picks are the most overrated thing there is. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Seoulofstone said:

That's a bad signing. He was abysmal for 3 years then got 5 sacks in his contract year. Former first round pick. Maybe McD can get more effort from him.

We are in a cap spot to take a few risks like that. The beauty of josh being cheap (plus tre, plus Edmonds) is that we can get about 5 guys that are risky with house money. Worst case he’s a fine enough but overpaid DT3. Best case we have a great rotation.

and can get out of it easy if it goes badly,

3 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Yeah. Recency bias. Also some wanted him back (at a lot less) because they are ruining the comp picks signing scrubs. 

this was an offseason where we sign guys not lose guys. Comp picks weren’t a consideration with this cap space 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

One guy said he was one of the only players that played with any fire. We’re you watching different game?

A DT with those numbers don’t seem to back up your non-interest take. 

Fans have their favorites. I'm not going to defend the opinions of one guy I don't know.  Carolina ended the season with the 7th worst run D in the history of the NFL. How did that 340 lb run stuffer do? Its just my opinion as someone who watched the games. Its fine if you dislike it as someone who didn't. As a whole the D got very high sack numbers but they were a bad D. 

Edited by Seoulofstone

I remember when Butler was drafted and there was some buzz that he was a first round steal. I don't think he's quite been that but he'll fit in fine with the DL rotation.

I love how almost every time they add to the DL a bunch of people on here are like, "That's it for Murphy! He done, snip snip muthatrucka, you cut!" He ain't an All-Pro but cutting him just creates another hole to fill. I'm also still unsure of the expectations some people have. Did they expect him to come in and rack up 15 sacks? Hell, can any of their DL rack up 15 sacks given that they all get somewhere between 40 and 60% of the snaps? This team really isn't about two or three superstar players that carry the rest of the crew, they're all about balance and having a well-rounded group that does their job and works to elevate each other. I just gotta laugh a bit when people lose it because Player A got $10 million a year but only got four or five sacks. I mean, these guys do get paid for more than just their on field performance. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

this was an offseason where we sign guys not lose guys. Comp picks weren’t a consideration with this cap space 

What a masterful job in creating room like this again to swing for bigger guys and not just roster filling. We still have room for another BIG player

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

What a masterful job in creating room like this again to swing for bigger guys and not just roster filling. We still have room for another BIG player

creating space is easy.

Now time to see if he puts together a super bowl roster or not. That’s where the expectation is. I generally like where we are at and am eager to see where the rest of the assets go. SHOULD win the division and host a playoff game. Will see about if we can compete for a bye.

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I like the player and I half expected us to sign him, but that price tag does look a little heavy... maybe just playing to the market. 

shaq got 10/ for 3 years. he’s a fine player but not game breaking.

Essentially a 1 year 9m with essentially a cheap team option to follow but also some incentives isn’t terrrrrrrible. Maybe a little heavy in pay but some perks in structure.

• Like (+1) 1