Bills sign DT Vernon Butler. 2 years up to 18M total and 9.3M GTD

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

We can save $5.5M if we trade Star post 6/1. If he doesn't earn his spot in camp he's on the block.

1 hour ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Now that is interesting. Any idea how much salary the other team would pick up?

18 minutes ago, GG said:

They would pick up his $6.5 million guarantee in '20 and injury guarantee in '21.   Based on that, he'd fetch a very low pick

I think the trade partner would only have to pay him 4.5 this year not 6.5 mil. The signing bonus has been paid and the roster bonus is paid 3/22 as well. Bills would save 5.5 mil  cap this year and be on the hook for 2.6 dead this year and 5.2 next year.

Edited by Turk71
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Better.  We may not have the game-breaking All-Pro, but there is some serious talent on this DL and a 2 deep rotation at every position that doesn't drop off much. 

Run defense should be the same, if not better.  Pass rush should be much better.  

If the run defense is not significantly better than all of these defensive acquisitions will have been in vain. Run defense was our Achilles’ heel in too many losses last season.

1 minute ago, Mojo44 said:

If the run defense is not significantly better than all of these defensive acquisitions will have been in vain. Run defense was our Achilles’ heel in too many losses last season.

Phillips was a liability vs the run imo. With Harry back and the new additions I think they should definitely be a better run defense.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

Shaq was really good on the edge against the run.  Addison is ok there, but he's much more of a pass rush skillset. 

On the interior, the addition of Butler, Jefferson as a chess piece, Harry's return and Oliver in his second year should certainly improve our run stuffing ability on the inside.

I'd guess we'll be solidly better against the run, but I think we will be noticeably better in our pass rush.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I think the trade partner would only have to pay him 4.5 this year not 6.5 mil. The signing bonus has been paid and the roster bonus is paid 3/22 as well. Bills would save 5.5 mil  cap this year and be on the hook for 2.6 dead this year and 5.2 next year.

If it is 4.5m you'd think we could find a partner. I'm not worried about the compensation, just very interesting that we can potentially offload that contract. The 5.2 dead next year isn't great, but workable.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Shaq was really good on the edge against the run.  Addison is ok there, but he's much more of a pass rush skillset. 

On the interior, the addition of Butler, Jefferson as a chess piece, Harry's return and Oliver in his second year should certainly improve our run stuffing ability on the inside.

I'd guess we'll be solidly better against the run, but I think we will be noticeably better in our pass rush.

I agree. I see Addison as a pass rusher more than an every down end. This is why I was not psyched about Ngakoue, his weakness is run defense and the price would be so steep for a player not great in every aspect.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

This defensive line is going to have a lot of Mean ‘ N ‘ Nasty written all over it.  It’s becoming evidently clear that the FO recognizes the importance of having a physical presence in the trenches.

I suspect the Bills will look to add another O lineman and D lineman in the draft.   Along with a RECIEVER.  

I agree. I LOVE Addison and Jefferson.  Instant upgrade over Shaq and Jordan and Butler is low risk , high reward. Jefferson can literally play anywhere on the line and Panther fans Love Addison. I read many articles/ saw YouTube vids and everyone wanted him back. Same with Jefferson. Panther fans seem to recognize the talent in Butler but feel he underperformed.  

They realized their run D was vulnerable and addressed it , if it improves , I mean , wow , that defense will be something else!! I'm very happy with the additions. Big Baller Beane living up to his name! Let's gooo

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

You're half right, I was off by $1 mil on his pay.  He has a $4.5 mil base and $500k in per game bonus, bringing his total to $5 mil due in '20.

I still disagree on Spotrac's dead cap classification, because they're lumping the injury guarantee into the dead cap.   If he's traded or cut before he gets injured, there should be no cap hit for that guarantee

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Star is gone next year.  They have plenty of cap room

That will depend in part on what Butler does.  Other factors will include free agency  in 2021 and strength at nose tackle in the draft in 2021.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Should be.  He should be full go by training camp.  I believe he torn it in September and that would be 10-11 months recovery by the start of camp.

It might have been early October, either way I think he should be good to go by camp. 

• Like (+1) 1

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001106801/article/broncos-acquire-dt-jurrell-casey-for-20-draft-pick

Man! Just saw Denver trade for Jurrell Casey from Tennessee for a 7th. A 7th! Would have been a massive upgrade over Butler and Star for that matter. For a 7th and 2 million more over Butler would've been a no brainer. The guy is a true wrecking ball at DT.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001106801/article/broncos-acquire-dt-jurrell-casey-for-20-draft-pick

Man! Just saw Denver trade for Jurrell Casey from Tennessee for a 7th. A 7th! Would have been a massive upgrade over Butler and Star for that matter. For a 7th and 2 million more over Butler would've been a no brainer. The guy is a true wrecking ball at DT.

Casey is more of an attacking player not a 1 tech like star

He would probably be a 3 tech here not take stars job and Butler actually is a great athlete for his size

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Casey is more of an attacking player not a 1 tech like star

He would probably be a 3 tech here not take stars job and Butler actually is a great athlete for his size

Butler strikes me as lazy. Great athlete but unmotivated. Underachieving at this point in his career no doubt.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Butler strikes me as lazy. Great athlete but unmotivated. Underachieving at this point in his career no doubt.

You never know untill they are here. Definitely been an underachiever but sometimes all you need is different scenery

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

What do you guys think? If the Dline is better, in what? Pass rush or run stopping?

I would agree with most of the earlier posters that say we're better than last season's group and add that the new DLine coach Washington should also be a positive addition that will hopefully boost the position group.

Edited by NI Bills Fan