Bills sign DT Vernon Butler. 2 years up to 18M total and 9.3M GTD

Sal is on the radio talking about the number of DL we brought to camp last year, but I think this is a little different... 

Are we going to keep 5 DT’s active every week, who all get meaningful snaps?... because we have 5 DT’s with legitimate investments in.  Oliver is a high pick. Phillips a relatively high pick.  Butler, Jefferson and Star all have decent contracts.   

These aren’t “Mike Love” type players that are making peanuts and are long shots to make the roster. 

Leads me to believe Quinton Jefferson will be a moveable chess piece at DT & DE on game days, with Butler, Star, Ed and Harry as the DT’s. 

Edited by SCBills

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

The damage wasn’t too bad as the announced signing and corresponding thread were pretty new when I tried merging multiple offerings. I think we’re good to go now, though new readers may get confused sipping coffee..

I'm here, sipping my coffee, confused.

This defensive line is going to have a lot of Mean ‘ N ‘ Nasty written all over it.  It’s becoming evidently clear that the FO recognizes the importance of having a physical presence in the trenches.

I suspect the Bills will look to add another O lineman and D lineman in the draft.   Along with a RECIEVER.  

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Sal is on the radio talking about the number of DL we brought to camp last year, but I think this is a little different... 

Are we going to keep 5 DT’s active every week, who all get meaningful snaps?... because we have 5 DT’s with legitimate investments in.  Oliver is a high pick. Phillips a relatively high pick.  Butler, Jefferson and Star all have decent contracts.   

These aren’t “Mike Love” type players that are making peanuts and are long shots to make the roster. 

Leads me to believe Quinton Jefferson will be a moveable chess piece at DT & DE on game days, with Butler, Star, Ed and Harry as the DT’s. 

would like to see Oliver become a moveable piece.....he could do some damage at DE

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

This will also help Harry not have to rush back. His injury occurred late in September. I think Harry was just about to turn the corner and would of probably ended up with an nice season. I want him back healthy. 

• Like (+1) 1

Didn't read whole thread and don't want to start new one because of this, but I have a question related to this topic.

On paper, is our Dline now better or worse than it was? To sum it up:

Pros: We added Addison, Butler and Jefferson, Harrison Philips should be back, Oliver has gained experience.

Cons:  We lost Phillips and Lawson, Hughes will be one year older.

Star and Murphy remain Star and Murphy.

What do you guys think? If the Dline is better, in what? Pass rush or run stopping?

12 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Didn't read whole thread and don't want to start new one because of this, but I have a question related to this topic.

Pros: We added Addison, Butler and Jefferson, Harrison Philips should be back, Oliver has gained experience.

What do you guys think? If the Dline is better, in what? Pass rush or run stopping?

Better all around IMO

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

You forgot Vincent Taylor, that we picked up from Miami. The guy is only 26 years old.

17 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Better.  We may not have the game-breaking All-Pro, but there is some serious talent on this DL and a 2 deep rotation at every position that doesn't drop off much. 

Run defense should be the same, if not better.  Pass rush should be much better.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

Now that is interesting. Any idea how much salary the other team would pick up?

They would pick up his $6.5 million guarantee in '20 and injury guarantee in '21.   Based on that, he'd fetch a very low pick

• Thank you (+1) 1