Bills sign DT Vernon Butler. 2 years up to 18M total and 9.3M GTD

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

twitter and the board

And you TRUST those sources???

2 hours ago, Rubes said:

And the offense returns everybody with a significant upgrade at WR1 and a full year together in the same system.

Stop it! My trousers are already tight!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

I remember when Butler was drafted and there was some buzz that he was a first round steal. I don't think he's quite been that but he'll fit in fine with the DL rotation.

I love how almost every time they add to the DL a bunch of people on here are like, "That's it for Murphy! He done, snip snip muthatrucka, you cut!" He ain't an All-Pro but cutting him just creates another hole to fill. I'm also still unsure of the expectations some people have. Did they expect him to come in and rack up 15 sacks? Hell, can any of their DL rack up 15 sacks given that they all get somewhere between 40 and 60% of the snaps? This team really isn't about two or three superstar players that carry the rest of the crew, they're all about balance and having a well-rounded group that does their job and works to elevate each other. I just gotta laugh a bit when people lose it because Player A got $10 million a year but only got four or five sacks. I mean, these guys do get paid for more than just their on field performance. 

How about I expected him to be able to hold the edge without constantly being pulled inside like it says "Kelsay" on his back? If you don't do much in the pass rush and you're unreliable in run D, habitually allowing running backs get around you for big gains down the sideline...it's no surprise that fans are hoping for an upgrade.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Too much dl now? We cutting someone it would seem 

Interior D-linemen now include Vernon Butler, Star Lotulelei, Harrison Phillips, Ed Oliver, Quinton Jefferson and Vincent Taylor.   Corey Liuget is an unrestricted free agent.  It doesn't seem likely to me that the Bills will attempt to re-sign him.  It's possible the Bills will carry 5 interior linemen.  They won't carry 6.  Vincent Taylor is the obvious odd m an out.  That leaves them with some versatility on the inside.  Harrison Phillips is a natural 1 tech, but he is diversifying some and can play some three tech too.   I suspect Quinton Jefferson is a natural 3 tech, but It wouldn't shock me if he could play DE on run downs.  He could also play 5 tech if Sean and Les Frazier wanted to run a little 3-4 to really throw a curve at the opposition.  Buffalo can go with a jumbo D-line and still be fairly athletic, or they can go with lightening quick penetrators across the from, or a little of both.

Defensive ends now are Jerry Hughes, Darryll Johnson, Mike Love, Trent Murphy, Jonathon Woodard (reserve future contract) and Mario Addison.  That's 6 also.  Jonathon Woodard probably doesn't have a ghost of a chance to make the roster.  The odds aren't good for Mike Love's future either.  Beyond those 2 easy cuts, we'll have to see what happens in the draft before speculating on Trent Murphy.  If Buffalo picks up an edge rusher in the second or third round, Murphy might be a goner.

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

this is the "under the radar" guy I've been waiting to see signed! expect him to have 5 sacks this year...in a rotation. outstanding work by the Wizard yet again! RB is Definately on the table at pick 54 now. Damn I love Beane!

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

basically replaced Phillips and Shaq with Jefferson and Butler, but for half the combined price. 

I'd say we replaced Phillips and Shaq with Jefferson and Addison. Butler is a stout 1 Tech to rotate with Star. 

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Cut Murphy. Sign Clowney. Be done with it. Go offense in draft. And prepare to be one of the top favorites to win the AFC. 

With the moves we've made this week I don't think we can afford a record breaking contract for Clowney. I think Beane allowed himself one big splash move in free agency and the rest of our signings will be mid tier or lower. The plan appears to be to rotate Hughes, Addison, Jefferson, a draft pick and possibly Murphy. I believe we now have less than $40 million in cap space and extensions for White, Dawkins, Milano, and Edmunds are right around the corner - not to mention Allen if he takes the next step. I don't know how Clowney fits in.

Edited by HappyDays

1 hour ago, Reks Ryan said:

Hope you’re right.  I’m a big fan of Phillips, so it’s meant as a compliment 

Jefferson is a god run defender, Phillips wasa liability versus the run.

17 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

this is the "under the radar" guy I've been waiting to see signed! expect him to have 5 sacks this year...in a rotation. outstanding work by the Wizard yet again! RB is Definately on the table at pick 54 now. Damn I love Beane!

Can get an RB in the 5th or 6th round..no need to waste a 2nd on one.

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Jefferson is a god run defender, Phillips wasa liability versus the run.

Can get an RB in the 5th or 6th round..no need to waste a 2nd on one.

not a waste if a difference maker is available. not a fan of a 1st round RB, but in the 2nd or beyond? get it. With the addition of a #1 WR, I say another playmaker or OT is top of the order. and no OT worthy of that pick is gonna be there.jmo

Seems similar to Shaq. A bust his first few years in the league than kind of came to life his contract year. This deal is much more team friendly than Shaq's though, so I like the move. 

Pretty sure the Panthers had one of the worst run defenses in the league last year though

Not going to lie, never heard of him. But Seahawks fans have very positive things to say. Seems like a great signing. Still would like to see the bills bring in a young DE or OLB day 2 of the draft 

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

Definitely check out the film study on Jefferson. Not long but very informative. He’s quality inside & Out.

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Exact opposite of Jefferson. Carolina fans hated him.  But I’m a fan of giving a talented player a second chance in a new situation.  Definitely seems a little high but oh well.  Hopefully, he is Jordan Phillips 2.0.

Based on what I've read on both, makes no sense that he got more money than Jefferson. The Jefferson signing seems like a steal.