The Death of the "Patriot Way"

Brady is finally gone.  I have never had a strong opinion as to whether it was more Bill or Tom who was responsible for the Pat's success.  I think in truth it was the combination of the two and I think with Brady gone now the "Patriot Way" will quickly come to an end.

Bill runs a highly disciplined, zero tolerance type of program.  It's an anachronism in today's NFL.  It has often been reported that Bill would tear into Brady in front of the entire team.  And Brady took it.  Brady is the GOAT, and he took the abuse from Bill without complaint.  If you are on the Patriots and you are sick of getting browbeaten by Bill are you going to step up and say something if the GOAT Tom Brady is not complaining about it?  Nope.  You are going to suck it up and take it just like the GOAT does. Tom's willingness to be hammered by Bill allowed Bill to hammer everyone else on the roster.  That is going to change now.

Bill will continue to try and maintain that strict control on the program, and for a couple seasons he will succeed because the people on the roster now accept his discipline as business as normal, but as the roster begins to turn over and new players come in to Foxboro, there will start to be some unrest when Bill tears into people and they don't have Tom Brady there to essentially back Bill up.

Another thing Brady did to allow the "Patriot Way" to succeed was to take less money and craft his contracts to be highly team friendly.  Same kind of scenario, if the GOAT is accepting less money to help the team and program be successful, you should too.  And players did.  There were no hold outs in Foxboro. There were no players griping to the media about their contract situation.  They followed Brady's lead.  Now he's gone and that will likely change too.

Bill and Tom won some many championships for so long that New England became a destination for veterans who were great players but had never won a ring and wanted to win one before they retired.  They would come to New England and take significantly less money in order to chase that ring. That gave the Patriots a big advantage in signing talented free agents on the cheap.  I think those days are over too.  That removes a significant advantage that Bill had before when negotiating with free agents.  It's going to be hard to play the "Take less money but win a ring" card now with Brady gone. 

The stranglehold the Pats had on the AFCE and the League is over.  Bill is a great coach and he will always field a competitive team, but the dominance that came about because of the partnership between Bill and Tom that allowed the "Patriot Way" to prosper is finally over.  

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I feel like I've been waiting for this day for 20 years.  Not just this time - THIS DAY.  

We were right on the cusp this past season - now, Josh is entering his pivotal 3rd year, with one of the best WR's and WR corps in the league, and an excellent defense. The Bills are FINALLY poised to take the division.

Combine that w/ the monster who has been lurking under my bed leaving the AFC East and the AFC completely, and the transition is complete.  My nightmare is over.  I've spent a good part of the day on Patriots boards, watching Pats fans lament the end of the "Patriot Way" you speak of. They know it.  I'm shocked at how many of them have said they are crying or even sobbing (those guys are so soft - seeing those posts makes me so glad to be a Bills fan, even though they've had it so much better).

Having said that, watch them somehow end up w/ the worst record in a virus-shortened season, draft Lawrence and start all over again as BB coaches until his 80's.  That'd just be the way.

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Brady is finally gone.  I have never had a strong opinion as to whether it was more Bill or Tom who was responsible for the Pat's success.  I think in truth it was the combination of the two and I think with Brady gone now the "Patriot Way" will quickly come to an end.

Bill runs a highly disciplined, zero tolerance type of program.  It's an anachronism in today's NFL.  It has often been reported that Bill would tear into Brady in front of the entire team.  And Brady took it.  Brady is the GOAT, and he took the abuse from Bill without complaint.  If you are on the Patriots and you are sick of getting browbeaten by Bill are you going to step up and say something if the GOAT Tom Brady is not complaining about it?  Nope.  You are going to suck it up and take it just like the GOAT does. Tom's willingness to be hammered by Bill allowed Bill to hammer everyone else on the roster.  That is going to change now.

Bill will continue to try and maintain that strict control on the program, and for a couple seasons he will succeed because the people on the roster now accept his discipline as business as normal, but as the roster begins to turn over and new players come in to Foxboro, there will start to be some unrest when Bill tears into people and they don't have Tom Brady there to essentially back Bill up.

Another thing Brady did to allow the "Patriot Way" to succeed was to take less money and craft his contracts to be highly team friendly.  Same kind of scenario, if the GOAT is accepting less money to help the team and program be successful, you should too.  And players did.  There were no hold outs in Foxboro. There were no players griping to the media about their contract situation.  They followed Brady's lead.  Now he's gone and that will likely change too.

Bill and Tom won some many championships for so long that New England became a destination for veterans who were great players but had never won a ring and wanted to win one before they retired.  They would come to New England and take significantly less money in order to chase that ring. That gave the Patriots a big advantage in signing talented free agents on the cheap.  I think those days are over too.  That removes a significant advantage that Bill had before when negotiating with free agents.  It's going to be hard to play the "Take less money but win a ring" card now with Brady gone. 

The stranglehold the Pats had on the AFCE and the League is over.  Bill is a great coach and he will always field a competitive team, but the dominance that came about because of the partnership between Bill and Tom that allowed the "Patriot Way" to prosper is finally over.  

Well along with all the other Patriot crap there has been suspicion & allegations that they were paying players under the table.

I said the same thing to a friend today. It’s going to be tougher for Belichick to grind so hard on guys without Brady setting the example.

Sure, it may be alright for a bit, while they still have some of their other long tenured veteran players (like Mccourty, Slater, Edelman, etc). But we will see how long it lasts. I remember what happened to those super bowl Bills teams and the winning culture they built as core players slowly left/retired. 

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/03/17/patriots-winning-culture-wont-walk-out-door-with-tom-brady/

^ boston media seems to think the winning culture stays as long as long as Belichick does, and maybe they’re right. It’s hard to bet against his track record. 

I think his coaching style could become an issue, especially if there are any hard feeling among players about the Brady negotiations (if they feel he was pushed out). We will see...

17 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I said the same thing to a friend today. It’s going to be tougher for Belichick to grind so hard on guys without Brady setting the example.

Sure, it may be alright for a bit, while they still have some of their other long tenured veteran players (like Mccourty, Slater, Edelman, etc). But we will see how long it lasts. I remember what happened to those super bowl Bills teams and the winning culture they built as core players slowly left/retired. 

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/03/17/patriots-winning-culture-wont-walk-out-door-with-tom-brady/

^ boston media seems to think the winning culture stays as long as long as Belichick does, and maybe they’re right. It’s hard to bet against his track record. 

I think his coaching style could become an issue, especially if there are any hard feeling among players about the Brady negotiations (if they feel he was pushed out). We will see...

His track record was .460 before Brady.  If he has Jarrrett Stidham playing quarterback for him Ill bet against his track record all day.  They have 3 million dollars to sign people with.  If they dont move Thuney or Hightower they literally cant sign a qb in free agency..

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 3

I hate the Patriots as much as anyone but I am a football fan too. I have watched the Patriots send high performing veterans like Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork, Chandler Jones, Randy Moss, Nate Solder and Wes Welker away for salary cap reasons and not miss a beat. To date, the only player that they have not successfully replaced was Gronkowski and it showed last year. The year Brady was injured they plugged in Matt Cassel and went 11 - 5. 

I have watched all of the Patriots Superbowls. As well as Brady has played in them I never came away with the feeling that it was all him or that he was Uber talented in the ways that John Elway or Dan Marino were. He did show incredible poise and presence of mind under pressure. I also found that he finished most of those games untouched and under little or no pressure. 

I think there is a lot of wishful thinking in this thread that is rather dismissive of the Pats dominance as being all Brady and none of BB. There is also the hint of the allegation of player abuse. Player abuse is a serious matter that is ending careers in other sports, most notably hockey. This generation of players is blowing the whistle on that and rightfully so. Still if players were being subjected to degrading conduct I think we'd have heard something to that effect as we did with the Richie Incognito affair.

Belichick has revolutionized the game in his defiance of salary cap economics by creating a culture of team and head coach first, attracting veterans who want to win on one year rental contracts, getting compensatory draft picks for losing veterans to other teams, but most importantly he has developed such great coaching systems that players from other clubs can just walk in and assume roles seemingly instantly with little or no lead time. Somewhere BB has simplified things to the point where that is possible in NE but seemingly no where else. I am sure that he looks for certain coachability and high football IQ in his players to facilitate this. I think he is a world class teacher and leader who knows things about football, human nature and intelligence that others do not.

Twenty years into the Patriot era and not one coach from his coaching tree has had any notable success. I can't think of any of his better former players having had success elsewhere that approached what they experienced with NE. 

I am as sick of these smug bastards as anyone but something special remarkable has gone on here and I think most of it is BB. Yes, I'm sure they cut ethical corners in the area of industrial espionage but maybe they just want it a little more than the mom and pop franchises that describe most of the league.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, stuvian said:

I hate the Patriots as much as anyone but I am a football fan too. I have watched the Patriots send high performing veterans like Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork, Chandler Jones, Randy Moss, Nate Solder and Wes Welker away for salary cap reasons and not miss a beat. To date, the only player that they have not successfully replaced was Gronkowski and it showed last year. The year Brady was injured they plugged in Matt Cassel and went 11 - 5. 

I have watched all of the Patriots Superbowls. As well as Brady has played in them I never came away with the feeling that it was all him or that he was Uber talented in the ways that John Elway or Dan Marino were. He did show incredible poise and presence of mind under pressure. I also found that he finished most of those games untouched and under little or no pressure. 

I think there is a lot of wishful thinking in this thread that is rather dismissive of the Pats dominance as being all Brady and none of BB. There is also the hint of the allegation of player abuse. Player abuse is a serious matter that is ending careers in other sports, most notably hockey. This generation of players is blowing the whistle on that and rightfully so. Still if players were being subjected to degrading conduct I think we'd have heard something to that effect as we did with the Richie Incognito affair.

Belichick has revolutionized the game in his defiance of salary cap economics by creating a culture of team and head coach first, attracting veterans who want to win on one year rental contracts, getting compensatory draft picks for losing veterans to other teams, but most importantly he has developed such great coaching systems that players from other clubs can just walk in and assume roles seemingly instantly with little or no lead time. Somewhere BB has simplified things to the point where that is possible in NE but seemingly no where else. I am sure that he looks for certain coachability and high football IQ in his players to facilitate this. I think he is a world class teacher and leader who knows things about football, human nature and intelligence that others do not.

Twenty years into the Patriot era and not one coach from his coaching tree has had any notable success. I can't think of any of his better former players having had success elsewhere that approached what they experienced with NE. 

I am as sick of these smug bastards as anyone but something special remarkable has gone on here and I think most of it is BB. Yes, I'm sure they cut ethical corners in the area of industrial espionage but maybe they just want it a little more than the mom and pop franchises that describe most of the league.

All of what you said is certainly true.  I believe Bill Belichick's "Patriot Way" mentality, which he installed across every aspect of the franchise, was THE main reason for New England's unparalleled success over the past 20 years.  Even more than Tom Brady.

But I also believe that Belichick and Kraft's power struggle following Super Bowl LI was the end of the "Patriot Way" - and the ultimately the beginning of the end for New England's run.  Yes, the Patriots still went to two more Super Bowls after that and even won another ring.  But the battle over Jimmy Garoppolo was the moment that Belichick lost full control over the team's personnel decisions.  It started the team down a path that finally reached a dead-end yesterday.  

If you believe all the reports out of Boston, you know that Garoppolo was Belichick's plan for succeeding Brady.  Regardless of how indestructible Brady seemed, Belichick knew the day was coming that age would finally catch up to his Hall of Fame QB.  While other franchises with veteran QBs usually sit on their hands until it's too late, Belichick has always been very forward-thinking and aggressive in drafting QBs.  After-all, the only mark against Belichick's legacy is the fact that he only did it with Brady under center.  If he could transition and then win a Super Bowl without Brady, his status as the greatest ever would be unquestioned.

Reports say that Belichick wanted to trade Brady after the 2017 Super Bowl win against the Falcons.  At that time, the Patriots still could have gotten a massive draft-haul for Brady and then handed the reigns of a championship roster over to Garoppolo.  But Robert Kraft pulled rank, and refused to part with his boy.  With Garoppolo set to hit free agency, this destroyed Belichick's transition plan that had been 3-4 years in the making.

You will notice that in March 2017, the Patriots became uncharacteristically aggressive in both Free Agency (Stephon GIlmore) and trading draft picks for players (Brandin Cooks).  This team had operated under the same mentality for almost two decades, and been massively successful.  But suddenly, they were mortgaging their future for one-last chance at championship glory.  This is because of everything listed above.  The plan Belichick had been setting in motion was toast.  The "Patriot Way" was dead.

Until it happens on the football field, many will refuse to believe it.  They will cling to the idea that Belichick has some magic trick up his sleeve.  He doesn't.  His magic trick was traded three years ago to the San Francisco 49ers.  The Patriots have very few options left at QB for the 2020 season.  They have an offense with very few weapons, and virtually no cap space/draft capital to improve it.  They do have a strong defense, but I would anticipate a very ugly season.

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

His track record was .460 before Brady.  If he has Jarrrett Stidham playing quarterback for him Ill bet against his track record all day.  They have 3 million dollars to sign people with.  If they dont move Thuney or Hightower they literally cant sign a qb in free agency..

Yep- and they have an old roster that is talent depleted on the O side. Personally, i see them at a 5-11 team this season.

IMO it was certainly the combination of BB and Brady. Belichick is a great defensive coach. His greatest strength is taking away opponents strengths! Game planning and in game adjustments!

Brady was the offense, period. Not that BB can’t run a competent offense it’s that Brady made it go! He was the on the field general that made it special.

Unless Bill finds another Qb to take over where Brady left off the Patriot Way is going to end! Soon! They will still be a good team because BB is a great coach but not a the team of the past!!!

45 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

All of what you said is certainly true.  I believe Bill Belichick's "Patriot Way" mentality, which he installed across every aspect of the franchise, was THE main reason for New England's unparalleled success over the past 20 years.  Even more than Tom Brady.

But I also believe that Belichick and Kraft's power struggle following Super Bowl LI was the end of the "Patriot Way" - and the ultimately the beginning of the end for New England's run.  Yes, the Patriots still went to two more Super Bowls after that and even won another ring.  But the battle over Jimmy Garoppolo was the moment that Belichick lost full control over the team's personnel decisions.  It started the team down a path that finally reached a dead-end yesterday.  

If you believe all the reports out of Boston, you know that Garoppolo was Belichick's plan for succeeding Brady.  Regardless of how indestructible Brady seemed, Belichick knew the day was coming that age would finally catch up to his Hall of Fame QB.  While other franchises with veteran QBs usually sit on their hands until it's too late, Belichick has always been very forward-thinking and aggressive in drafting QBs.  After-all, the only mark against Belichick's legacy is the fact that he only did it with Brady under center.  If he could transition and then win a Super Bowl without Brady, his status as the greatest ever would be unquestioned.

Reports say that Belichick wanted to trade Brady after the 2017 Super Bowl win against the Falcons.  At that time, the Patriots still could have gotten a massive draft-haul for Brady and then handed the reigns of a championship roster over to Garoppolo.  But Robert Kraft pulled rank, and refused to part with his boy.  With Garoppolo set to hit free agency, this destroyed Belichick's transition plan that had been 3-4 years in the making.

You will notice that in March 2017, the Patriots became uncharacteristically aggressive in both Free Agency (Stephon GIlmore) and trading draft picks for players (Brandin Cooks).  This team had operated under the same mentality for almost two decades, and been massively successful.  But suddenly, they were mortgaging their future for one-last chance at championship glory.  This is because of everything listed above.  The plan Belichick had been setting in motion was toast.  The "Patriot Way" was dead.

Until it happens on the football field, many will refuse to believe it.  They will cling to the idea that Belichick has some magic trick up his sleeve.  He doesn't.  His magic trick was traded three years ago to the San Francisco 49ers.  The Patriots have very few options left at QB for the 2020 season.  They have an offense with very few weapons, and virtually no cap space/draft capital to improve it.  They do have a strong defense, but I would anticipate a very ugly season.

You pretty much nailed it! Thanks Bob Kraft!!!

The Patriot Way died when Belichick was forced to trade Jimmy Garappolo to appease Tom Brady. That was the day Bob Kraft got involved.

5 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Sorry for essentially saying the same thing. That's why I predicted Belichick could walk. To stick it to his meddling owner who needs Super Bowl wins to prop up his investments.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

14 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I get the vibes, but maybe wait until it happens first? Don't count your chickens and all that.

I'm with you BB is still the best NFL coach probably ever & he was at the very least 1/2 of a all time great duo that still has the same coaching staff that has won with out Brady before all be it a long time ago .

So until BB shows with his new QB that they are no longer the Pats of the last 20 yrs i'm going to say it ain't over till it's over & i will never underestimate BB in any game that he is still the coach of our Bills team has to prove that they can slay the dragon of the east before i go all in on the Pats dynasty being truly over ...

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I get the vibes, but maybe wait until it happens first? Don't count your chickens and all that.

Yeah, I agree with this.  It may be that with the diminished outlook for success based on Brady's departure will mean the remaining members of the team will be less tolerant of Belichick's verbal abuse.  However, it's also possible that Belichick will still be able to get his team to "out execute" New England's opponents going forward.  We can't depend on New England's impending collapse.  Beane and McDermott just need to continue to work the process in their own building.  We'll, see what happens.

The "Patriot Way" is why Brady is gone. He was kicked to the curb, just like every other aging veteran who wanted to get paid over the years. Brady carried that team for years - he was the ultimate system QB, who remained in the right system for 20 years. Next season I'd wager heavily their offense is going back to dink and dunk passing with a ball-control oriented offense, relying on the defense to carry the team (like Brady's first few years as the starter.)

Belichick potentially being done in the next couple years is a more interesting topic. I can see him wanting to break Shula's record for wins before retiring, if he can keep the team together and winning. Remember, this is a guy who will run up scores just to show his superiority by embarrassing other teams.

18 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

It will not come to an end as long as Belichick is in the building.   Whether or not it yields any more Super Bowls is a different question.

Edited by KD in CA