The 2020 draft will matter less and less each passing day as it relates to the 2020 season

Free Agency has begun and the new league year seems to be starting, but...

OTAs have been cancelled.

The draft will at least be in a different format if not postponed, which pushes back rookie minicamp and then minicamp until you get an abridged Training Camp / Preseason.

Timing of the NFL Regular Season seems fortunate enough that there will likely be little disruption of Regular season games--we hope--but this is pretty clearly going to be an abridged offseason.

Buffalo is in win now mode for 2020 as this is the best shot they will have had since the 90s to make a legitimate Super Bowl run. And the one wildly glaring missing piece was that true #1 WR. With the depth of this draft class, we probably could have gotten a long term rough equivalent to Diggs, but he would have been a rookie coming into the NFL at a tumultuous time.

I don't know who we draft in the 2nd or 3rd round or beyond this year, but more than any other year, I feel like rookies are going to have less of an impact. And with the exception of Diggs, it seems McDermott and Beane are making a point of resigning our own guys for familiarity's sake (Spain) or going back to McBeane's old stomping ground of Carolina for talent familiar with scheme (Addison).

No Brady in the AFC East for the first time since the 90s.

Dolphins will either have Fitz or a rookie QB under center.

Jets are still the Jets.

Seems this Diggs move is a big statement that 2020 is the year McDermott and Beane expect us to be viable Super Bowl contenders.

Luckily we won't be in severe CAP trouble like the Rams moving forward, but I love the aggressive move especially this year because I just don't think our pick at 22 would have possibly had close to the impact an established top 10 NFL vet WR will have for us in 2020.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 4

totally agree.  this is what it's like for most winning teams I think.  The draft is still important for long-term, but you don't need a guy to be a day 1 starter.  you want to ideally draft day 1 starting talent that can take over at some point when the Vet becomes too expensive.  

You shut your mouth when you’re talking to me.  The draft is my favorite part of the offseason.  

I also respectfully disagree.  The depth, and starters at key support roles can play a crucial role in a deep playoff run.  FA may get you the key pieces, but you need a completely unit for a run and the cheap rookie labor goes a long way. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Tesla03 said:

we still have no idea if there will even be a 2020 season. 

if the virus picks back up around September the last thing america will do is fill up 80k seater football stadiums with people. 

I agree it's uncertain, but personally I think the 2020 NFL season will happen 

It truly depends on how quickly things get under control and back to a sense of normalcy. Football is a welcomed distraction right now for us sports fans who have already watched everything else be cancelled. This is usually one of the greatest times of the year with March Madness in full swing and the NFL offseason kicking in. Baseball would gearing up. Instead we are faced with some harsh realities. Life is interrupted. We have friends and family members affected by things out of our control. People are losing jobs left and right at this stage, others are being sent home with no income for weeks on end. It's a mad time in this world right now, one like my eyes have never seen. People are fighting in stores and on the streets for basic necessities because one feels they need to hoard while others have nothing. As much as I want to be excited about the coming season, and part of me still is, it's hard not to be focused on everything going on around us and realize this could change the entirety of everything as a whole beyond the postponement of all the sporting spectacles we all look forward to. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1

I love the draft.  It's my favorite event every year so I'm saddened by  not owning a first. 

But at least we don't have a first for good reason

Edited by DJB

As in the other thread on this, I don't believe any FO is assembling their roster based on concerns for a shortened offseason.  There's no way that would be the dominant force in choosing to sign FAs for multiyear contracts now.

Teams, including the Bills, are building as they normally would, based on what they have and what they needed regardless of when the season starts.   

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Tesla03 said:

if the virus picks back up around September the last thing america will do is fill up 80k seater football stadiums with people. 

You're pry fun at parties.

• Haha (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Tesla03 said:

It would still work for the NFL. They could play in empty stadiums and the ratings would be huge. There will be a season 

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

You shut your mouth when you’re talking to me.  The draft is my favorite part of the offseason.  

I also respectfully disagree.  The depth, and starters at key support roles can play a crucial role in a deep playoff run.  FA may get you the key pieces, but you need a completely unit for a run and the cheap rookie labor goes a long way. 

Totally agree about rookies being cheap labor and those guys to a long way to make sure you can pay others until it's their turn to get paid...

That's why giving up the #1 for Diggs hurts IMO.  I'm happy we got Diggs, but I really wish we could have gotten away with a 2nd round pick for him... :) (as we all do...)

Way out there prediction:  We draft a WR with our 2nd Round pick.  Someone that drops out of the 1st for some reason...

23 hours ago, hjnick said:

Totally agree about rookies being cheap labor and those guys to a long way to make sure you can pay others until it's their turn to get paid...

That's why giving up the #1 for Diggs hurts IMO.  I'm happy we got Diggs, but I really wish we could have gotten away with a 2nd round pick for him... :) (as we all do...)

Way out there prediction:  We draft a WR with our 2nd Round pick.  Someone that drops out of the 1st for some reason...

With the depth of the draft and the way we've been filling up on DL and LBs in FA so far, I think our 2nd and 3rd round picks could very well be a WR. OL and RB are the only 2 other positions we really will need to look at and you can pretty easily find quality RBs in the back half of the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/17/2020 at 6:37 PM, Tesla03 said:

The proper BBFS perspective is the season starts, the Bills makes the Super Bowl as a huge favorite AND THEN the game is canceled due to the virus.

Apparently you haven’t been a Bills fan very long....

On 3/17/2020 at 6:37 PM, Tesla03 said:

If they can't play football in Sept  we have a very serious problem.

Edited by ALF

On 3/17/2020 at 6:34 PM, Virgil said:

To sustain a long term run, you definitely need to be able to draft well, especially in the middle rounds.  I think our FO is pretty strong in that area. 

I’m sure we’ll get back to that, especially in the next year or two when we have big $$$ tied up in Diggs, Allen, Edmunds, White, Dawkins etc., but this year was different.  We had two glaring needs entering the offseason, and that was WR and DE. We also have a good amount of depth.  Half our picks, pre-Diggs trade, wouldn’t make the team, so this year made all the sense in the world to make the trade, along with a bunch of (essentially) 2 year signings, to bolster the DL until we can replenish the talent there with draft picks.