DJ Reader to Bengals

2 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

You couldn’t pay me enough to go to Cincinnati. That team is gonna take years to be competitive again. I’d rather take less and go to a team that has a chance to win

That's what Reader said.

That is, until they paid him enough.

1 hour ago, White Linen said:

Don't you think the reports of us being in on Reader indicate the FO thinks it's a need?  Not only because of my thoughts on Star,  as I think he's mediocre and definitely not what most people describe him as, but for sheer numbers as they rotate.  We get ran on up the middle, lost pass rush in Phillips and have an injured player coming into only his second year.  

All about that value

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Doubt Bills would have committed that $ for a DT

we've only got Oliver for 3 more years?

3 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Really?  Dude is a stud.  $13.25M AAV for 4 seasons?  Sign me up.  I’d have done it in a heartbeat.  DTs who excel as interior pass rushers and run stoppers are so rare.  Him and Oliver would’ve been a great interior tandem. 

this. all day, this.

2 hours ago, GG said:

If you didn't have Star :) 

we can walk away from Star after this year. we could have easily done it. we should have done it.

Edited by Foxx
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, MJS said:

That's a decent point, but they didn't think it was important enough to match the contract he received.

We do need numbers, but I don't think we need to break the bank to get a replacement for Phillips. I expect both Harrison and Oliver to take the next steps and Star to continue to do what he does and that would suffice, but yes, it would be nice to bring in another good player at the position.

That's a bad thing, IMO.  He gets destroyed a significant amount of the time and it's not a double team.  

34 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

All about that value

Very true but it doesn't dispute the point, that they're going to add to the DT's. 

I really liked Reader as much as anyone else on this board (well, maybe not *that* much) but we really need to evaluate the value of the contract as much as the contribution because in the end that's what you're paying for: how their contribution fits within the larger framework of the team. Getting Jefferson and Butler on cheaper contracts with versatility helps spread out the liability while having some production and enhanced versatility along the D-line. I think we've all seen so far in the first three Off-Seasons of the McBeane era, they value versatility quite a bit. 

In the end, the Bills FO believed the price was too rich - and team that started with ~$90 in Cap space, that speaks volumes to me in how they wanted to go about their business. I also think Poyer's extension played a role in determining his demands were too costly. All things considered let's remember: every time you spend a dollar on one player, it takes a dollar away from another players. Allocation - and to me, Beane has done a very good job with it thus far, but only time will tell.