Isolation Masks

Anybody have any connections where I might get a case or 2 of masks? I'm the CFO of a agency that serves the ID/DD population. NYS OPWDD has put in a strict requirement that in our high needs homes all staff have to wear masks 24/7. So we are currently running through about 300 a week and these things can't be found.

...Please PM me with any suggestions or leads.

Thanks... Mike

Edited by Mike in Horseheads

Crazy time we are in.  I work health care and it’s scary the shortage of equipment for caregivers.  Feel those at the bedside are putting their lives at risk to care for sick patients.  Worst part is, it’s only just begun here.  Will get worse before it gets better.

I did PM you.

41 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Anybody have any connections where I might get a case or 2 of masks? I'm the CFO of a agency that serves the ID/DD population.

I strongly suspect that doesn't mean what I hope it means.

Anyway, good luck my fellow finance chief!

3 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Anybody have any connections where I might get a case or 2 of masks? I'm the CFO of a agency that serves the ID/DD population. NYS OPWDD has put in a strict requirement that in our high needs homes all staff have to wear masks 24/7. So we are currently running through about 300 a week and these things can't be found.

Thanks... Mike

Half face or SCBA

3 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Thanks... Mike

auto parts stores, paint stores.

• Sad 1

I realize this would apply only to the low grade masks.  Instead of disposable paper masks, if there is a shortage of those, why not manufacture cloth masks that could be sanitized/laundered and then used again?  I am unsure these are running out but everything else is in shortage.  After using a mask, drop it in a pail of bleach water maybe...until laundry time.

58 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

I realize this would apply only to the low grade masks.  Instead of disposable paper masks, if there is a shortage of those, why not manufacture cloth masks that could be sanitized/laundered and then used again?  I am unsure these are running out but everything else is in shortage.  After using a mask, drop it in a pail of bleach water maybe...until laundry time.

Regular paper masks are not meant for small particles that remain airborne for a period of time, such as COVID-19.  Masks such as the N95 are filters/respirators, and are meant to capture 95% of airborne particles.  Cloth masks most likely would allow a greater amount of viruses through, more than a paper/surgical mask.  

That being said.  The CDC has rolled back their guidelines of masks.  They stated previously for airborne use a N95 mask.  Because of the shortage, they have rolled it back to using a basic surgical mask along with face shield.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/18/2020 at 3:47 PM, BuffaloBud said:

Been checking those out for the past 3 weeks - nada, zip, zero

my apologies, i forgot to mention the possibility of using vapor masks. 

i saw Hapless Bills Fan's thread on how to reuse a mask and it dawned on me that i didn't post about this. @Hapless Bills Fan, if you would be so kind as to review this post and make sure there is no misinformation in it, i would be grateful and if it is worthy of your 'mask' thread, you can post it there if you like.

3M Respirator masks are quite versatile and are used in a great many industries, most notably spray painting. they are washable which may be their biggest benefit in the current crisis. 

this is what a complete Respirator set up looks like.

it is comprised of essentially three parts...

the mask itself is technically called a, 'half mask' and looks like thus with out the 'filters' in place:

ded8190a6fe3088e61ff85fd8d2d4c88.jpg

the half mask holds the 'charcoal filters in place, they fasten in place with simply a twist lock mechanism. the purpose of these charcoal filters are to filter out various vapors, depending upon which series (ex. 6000 series, 7000 series, 8000 series) chosen, will protect you from the vapors indicated :

3m-paint-respirators-masks-6001p1-dc-c3_

lastly, you have the all important 'pre-filter' which is held in place with a simple plastic snap retainer which you would see in the image above of the complete setup:

61BM6-oVz8L._AC_UL480_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

why all important? because these pre-filters are certified NIOSH (at least make sure they are, there might be ripoffs out there), they will be labeled on the back side of the filter. at minimum, you want to have the N95 rating (same rating as the desired dust masks). you can get N100 also which will filter 99.97% as opposed to the 95% that a N95 filter will provide.

it is my opinion that you only need one half mask per person (two if your really anal about taking precautions). however, i would recommend getting at least a couple packages of the charcoal filters (2 per package) per mask as well as a couple 'boxes' of the pre-filters' per mask. 

the complete initial setup (1 half mask, 2 charcoal filters and a pair of pre-filters) should cost somewhere around $40, with the additional items i mentioned above adding additional cost. these masks, in normal times should be readily available at your local big box hardware stores as well as big box paint stores. just checking around on Home Depot, Lowe's and Sherwin Williams, the pricing seems to be normal, can't vouch for whether or not they have any in-stock though. i did check Amazon and it appears they have a bunch through various sellers at reasonable prices.

just so you know what they look like:

package of charcoal filters

71dMEZQByVL._AC_UL480_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

box of pre-filters

3m-particulate-filter-5n11-n95-10-box-3_

lastly, here is possibly as equally important as the masks themselves.that is that your eyes are a possible attack vector too. on the front part of your eye is a fluid called 'aqueous humor,. this is susceptible to pathogens just like your lungs are. and why you will see health professionals that deal with these infectious pathogens wear some form of sealed eye protection such as safety glasses, goggles or better.

for that all out protection, you can obtain all in one masks designed like the one below to protect you.  

s-l300.jpg

together with Tyvek suits, you can seal yourself off from the elements if you really have/want to.

8058-6c8abf.jpg

disclaimer: no i am not a salesman for 3M. i just have great experience with their products and i know they work. i have tens of them here and as such, we are all set.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 2