Grade The Diggs Trade

Rigotz

How would you grade the trade the Bills just made for Stefon Diggs?  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Bills traded a 1st-round pick, a 5th-round pick, a 6th-round pick and a 2021 4th-round pick for Vikings WR Stefon Diggs and a 2020 7th-round pick. What grade should the Bills receive for this trade?

17 hours ago, Capco said:

I don't understand the A grades.  It's pretty much universally thought that Hopkins is better than Diggs.  If we had gotten Hopkins instead of Diggs, how do you grade that trade?  It'd be off the charts.  

A is reserved for the best outcomes.  This wasn't the best outcome.  

It's the best outcome after Hopkins was off the table. I'm sure we tried with Hopkins and Obrien said no.

18 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

For now C-   Naw I'll change it to a B

they traded nearly half of the 9 picks  

Round 1: 22nd overall

Round 2: 54th overall

Round 3: 86th overall

Round 4: 128th overall

Round 5: 155th overall (from CLE)

Round 5: 167th overall

Round 6: 188th overall (from CLE)

Round 6: 201st overall

Round 6: 207th overall (from BAL through NE)

a 7th from Minny?

Not to be a stickler here, but 1/3 is not really the same as nearly half, and that isn't even factoring in the 7th we got from the Vikings.  (or the 4th we gave them next season either, to be fair) This is the kind of move a team makes when they are close to competing for a title and need to add a few quality players rather than load the roster with quantity, hoping they find a few diamonds in the rough.  

21 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

a 7th from Minny?

Thanks for putting this up i wasn't sure what we had left in the draft still, it was a lot for Diggs but i'm glad we still have some draft capital to work with !! 

I voted C due to the fact that if he shows to be a prime donna & can't control his AB tendencies then i think he won't be worth what was given for him not to mention the turmoil he could cause around the Bills but we shall see !! 

5 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Diggs was a 5th rounder, how is finding a WR at 22 “impossible”?  Michael Thomas was a 2nd round pick, out performed Diggs best year as a rookie.  Just saying, that argument is nonsense.

Ah, the Tom Brady argument against trading away any pick.  Every pick is precious!  Every pick is going to be an All Pro!  That’s as lazy and poor of an argument as anyone can make.  I’m playing the odds here, which is way more realistic than cherry-picking the exceptions.  Crunch the numbers and take a look at the real odds of finding a stud WR at 22 or in the 2nd round or the 5th, much less one that can contribute at that level immediately.  You won’t find many players like Diggs and Thomas.  Oh and the Bills don’t have Brees at QB either.  I thought Michael Thomas would be a very good NFL WR, but not nearly what he has been.  Of course he’s a perfect fit for Brees and wouldn’t be as good almost any other QBs.  Look at the real odds and get back to me. 

• Like (+1) 4

I like the certainty of knowing the player can perform at an elite level. Picking the 3rd or 4th best WR on the board at 22 doesn't satisfy that, and they were not going to find 'the guy' via free agency. Beane shored up the D line with solid vets, so there are no major holes to fill with that 22nd pick. Plus Diggs has a reasonable contract. I think it's a very good move. It's a bit of a high price, but it's not going to kill the team by a long shot. They had surplus picks to burn and still have lots of cap space, so they can afford it. 

A.

• Like (+1) 2

Perfect pick, unbelievable value. A+

Sorry you can't find a top 10 WR with a reasonable salary for 4 years for a 1st or the 4th or a 5th. It's like a mountain of guaranteed gold vs panning for treasure. I'll take the gold every time. It wasn't 2 1st rounders like Sammy who isn't guaranteed to be great, this was a guy who already is great.

Just a great move.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/17/2020 at 1:33 PM, Kemp said:

No more excuses for Josh. It's all laid out for him in his 3rd season. Play like a top-tier QB or bye-bye.

Mr Kemp,´for sure I don´t want you as my boss, nor our Team´s GM... much less as our QB if Josh is said ¨bye-bye¨ ?

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2020 at 3:40 PM, CardinalScotts said:

easy its year 3 yes take the next step but he's 23 he doesn't need to be top tier

it would be great but realistic is not top tier its improving being consistent not missing easy throws and making more plays which not throwing to street free agents, practice player grabs and other assorted pieces certainly helped him last year. This is the next piece but be Mahomes or your out isn't logical, realistic or in any way what McBeane will expect. They have brought him along about as perfect as you can don't fall down the hill being impatient keep climbing he's going to be great he'll be 24 this season so will Joe Borrow.

If he's not a top third of the league QB next season, I don't like his chances of ever being good enough.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kemp said:

If he's not a top third of the league QB next season, I don't like his chances of ever being good enough.

You've pretty much never liked his chances, though I'm told by lots of folks on this board there are few if any haters, so let's just say your sense of objectivity differs from my own. I think Allen has progressed as well as any reasonable person could expect given his background and surrounding talent. He's likely going to be a top 10 qb this year if there is an actual season. He's got areas to improve, but that's just normal for a young qb. Years ago, it was understood it took time. Today, if a qb pretty much isn't instant top qb, folks think he doesn't have it.

• Like (+1) 3

On 3/17/2020 at 2:48 PM, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

a 7th from Minny?

??  3 is a third of 9.  4-5 would be half.  You also forgot the 7th from Mini.

I give the trade an A.   Justin Jefferson is a WR who is right around #22 in most mock drafts.  Lets compare his production at the end of the season with Diggs.  Also, remember that the  NFL might only have 2 or 3 weeks of pactice before the season.  The rookies will be much slower to come up to speed.  Don't ignore that. It is one of the factors in the trade and jacked up the price.

• Like (+1) 1